Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Dec 12, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #4,006 of 10,116
Hello everyone.

Hard to make faster (taking into account the weekend).

Order ECL-02 pads (and spare ECL-01 pads, in reserve) at Kennerton (international website) on Wednesday, December 9 at 9:30 pm; order taken into account and shipped the next day, Thursday, December 10; package expected in France, at my home, Monday, December 14 pm.

20121202353223553817168107.jpg

ECL-02 pads for my son's Kennerton Thror.

Note: below are two comparative FR curves.

And then, soon the listening that will follow ...

20121212024623553817168023.jpg

20121212024723553817168025.jpg
They should just remove the ems option all together. On the other hand I can't do nothing more then just wait now till they arrive. Not the end of the world.

edit: Seems like EMS is no longer an option when ordering at Kennerton. I think that that is a smart move. Having the items delivered in record time (even now!) suits the quality and luxury of the brand.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #4,007 of 10,116
Hi arielext

Your ordered earpads will eventually arrive; in any case I wish it for you, and as soon as possible. :)

It's curious, because for my order of the ECL-01 and ECL-02 earpads on the Kennerton website, I had no choice but to take the UPS carrier: 20 Euros postage for the transport of these four pairs of pads ordered.

This is still a very good investment for me, because for the price of these four pairs of pads, two pairs of ECL-01 pads and two pairs of ECL-02 pads, I will be able to equip my son's Thror and my Thekk, with for each of these two headphones, a pair of pads in reserve, enough to make these two headphones last for many decades ...
It's a very good investment, because for a relatively low price, I will get four different tones with these two headphones (the Thror and the Thekk), depending on the pads used (ECL-01 or ECL-02).

The ECL-02 pads (with small perforations), on the Thror, should be the most interesting modification to make, to correct a slight lack of bass for the stock version (ECL-01 pads with bigger perforations) of the Thror, without having to use an EQ.

I'm also waiting to see what these same ECL-02 pads will bring to the Thekk; unlike the Thror, the Thekk does not lack bass, but sub-basses; so we'll see what these optional ECL-02 pads will bring by boosting the Thror (and the Thekk) by about 2 to 3 dB in the bass and 4 to 6 dB in the sub-basses.

20121206552923553817168383.jpg

For your Kennerton LSA HP-1, aka "Thekk-Odin", the Kennerton ECL-02 pads should also boost the bass and especially the sub-basses, without the need to go through an EQ, as Philippe (@Hartford) currently has to do with his own Kennerton LSA HP-1.

Dec 12, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #4,008 of 10,116
Hi arielext

Your ordered earpads will eventually arrive; in any case I wish it for you, and as soon as possible. :)

It's curious, because for my order of the ECL-01 and ECL-02 earpads on the Kennerton website, I had no choice but to take the UPS carrier: 20 Euros postage for the transport of these four pairs of pads ordered.

This is still a very good investment for me, because for the price of these four pairs of pads, two pairs of ECL-01 pads and two pairs of ECL-02 pads, I will be able to equip my son's Thror and my Thekk, with for each of these two headphones, a pair of pads in reserve, enough to make these two headphones last for many decades ...
It's a very good investment, because for a relatively low price, I will get four different tones with these two headphones (the Thror and the Thekk), depending on the pads used (ECL-01 or ECL-02).

The ECL-02 pads (with small perforations), on the Thror, should be the most interesting modification to make, to correct a slight lack of bass for the stock version (ECL-01 pads with bigger perforations) of the Thror, without having to use an EQ.

I'm also waiting to see what these same ECL-02 pads will bring to the Thekk; unlike the Thror, the Thekk does not lack bass, but sub-basses; so we'll see what these optional ECL-02 pads will bring by boosting the Thror (and the Thekk) by about 2 to 3 dB in the bass and 4 to 6 dB in the sub-basses.

20121206552923553817168383.jpg

For your Kennerton LSA HP-1, aka "Thekk-Odin", the Kennerton ECL-02 pads should also boost the bass and especially the sub-basses, without the need to go through an EQ, as Philippe (@Hartford) currently has to do with his own Kennerton LSA HP-1.

Hello Eric.

" has to do " - not really. The HP-1 seems to not lack sub-bass as much as the other Kennerton planar. Only 5 to 6 dB at 20Hz. The FR curve is really more flat under 50 Hz.
Different bass tuning for USA maybe ?
Even without EQ, sub-bass is really there. It is only slightly more present from 20 Hz to 40 Hz with EQ. So EQ is not really required.
Above 50 Hz, the frequency response seems totally perfect for me.
So I think maybe the ECL-02 should bring a little too much bass (above 50 Hz) and low-medium or even medium.
It's the reason why I prefer equalization for my HP-1. I can intervene more "surgically" on a very little segment of the FR without altering the rest.
Ant it's more simple and cheaper ! :wink:
I have the good old ADI-2 DAC, why not use it fully ?

Philippe.

Dec 13, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #4,009 of 10,116
Hello Eric.

" has to do " - not really. The HP-1 seems to not lack sub-bass as much as the other Kennerton planar. Only 5 to 6 dB at 20Hz. The FR curve is really more flat under 50 Hz.
Different bass tuning for USA maybe ?
Even without EQ, sub-bass is really there. It is only slightly more present from 20 Hz to 40 Hz with EQ. So EQ is not really required.
Above 50 Hz, the frequency response seems totally perfect for me.
So I think maybe the ECL-02 should bring a little too much bass (above 50 Hz) and low-medium or even medium.
It's the reason why I prefer equalization for my HP-1. I can intervene more "surgically" on a very little segment of the FR without altering the rest.
Ant it's more simple and cheaper ! :wink:
I have the good old ADI-2 DAC, why not use it fully ?

Philippe.

Thanks for the precision, Philippe ; the logic is flawless for your Kennerton LSA-1 "Thekk-Odin'. :)

Concerning my son's Thror, well I could soon evaluate the situation with this earpads ECL-02; the workstation Korg Kronos 61 is equipped with an efficient EQ, but not the Matrix M-stage amp driving the Thror on my son's PC; nor even with my sedentary Audiomat (dac) / Viva (amp) main system.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #4,010 of 10,116
Hello everyone.

I just received via UPS carrier the 4 pairs of Kennerton pads (2 pairs ECL-01 and 2 pairs ECL-02) for my son's Thror, and also for my Thekk (in reserve).
I also received, but this is a surprise from Valentin, as a gift, 2 leather replacement sets for the Thror's headband (with its padded suspension headband, much more comfortable than the very first Odin's headband).

This will ensure a great future for the Thror SN001!

A big thank you to Valentin for this surprise that will probably make us talk about the Thror SN001 again in 20 years! :)

I just had time to take these pictures; of course, in the next few days; at the latest next weekend, I'll do comparative listening of the Thror ECL-01 versus Thekk ECL-001; of the Thror ECL-02 versus Thekk ECL-01; I'll finally try the ECL-02 pads on the Thekk, out of curiosity.

20121403394823553817170939.jpg

20121403394923553817170942.jpg

20121403394923553817170940.jpg

20121403394923553817170941.jpg

20121403394823553817170938.jpg

Dec 14, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #4,011 of 10,116
Hi all.

I just compared my son's Thror, equipped with its stock earpads, with large perforations; stock earpads most likely distinct from current Kennerton ECL-01 earpads, also with large perforations, but much flatter in appearance than the more rounded and chubby pads fitted to the Thror, which is an early model, as the first in the series (SN-001). In addition, the foam padding is probably different from that fitted to the new Kennerton planar headphones with ECL-01 earpads; Finally, it is possible that the foam of the stock earpads of this "early" Thror has become a little deformed over time, which is not without consequences on the sound.

I made 3 direct comparisons of headphones, two by two:
1 - Kennerton Thror "early", with his old earpads in stock (with large perforations) versus Kennerton Thekk with ECL-01 earpads in stock.
2 - Kennerton Thror with ECL-02 earpads (small perforations) versus Kennerton Thekk with ECL-01 earpads in stock.
3- Kennerton Thror equipped with ECL-01 earpads (new), a priori identical to those equipping my Thekk versus Kennerton Thekk equipped with ECL-01 earpads in stock.

(Note: the direct comparison of the Thror with the Thekk was made without equalization of the levels: the levels being (to the ear) substantially the same (for the whole of the FR): the sensitivity of the two headphones being identical: 100 dB / 1mW.

The primary purpose of this comparison was to assess by ear the level of bass (between 50 and 200 Hz) and sub-bass (under 50 Hz) with these different earpads (and headphones).
On the other hand, being very attached to the quality of the timbres, the female voices in particular, but also the stringed instruments (with the sound of body and the sound of strings): guitars, cello, violin; but also brass instruments (presence, sparkle), I listened to 4 pieces of music highlighting the bass (bass guitar, drums, synthesizer), their dynamics (slam); the timbres of the violin and cello, and the brilliance of the brass, as well as female voices.
See the links below.

https://www.facebook.com/TheMetalGoddesses/videos/986716228508313/
Nightwish - Amaranth (Live at Tampere 2015)

L.E.J - Hanging Tree

Hans Zimmer Live in Prague - Zoosters Breakout (Madagascar)

Hans Zimmer Live in Prague - Gladiator "The Battle"

First comparison: Kennerton Thror "early", with his old earpads in stock (with large perforations) versus Kennerton Thekk with ECL-01 earpads in stock.
As already indicated, the Thror "early" equipped with these "old" stock pads and perhaps also with a little packed internal foam and distorded, lack of bass, compared to Thekk, it's pretty obvious; the high-midrange is put forward, which distorts the timbre of the female voices, too accentuated on the 3000 Hz region (as if the singer was singing through a cardboard cone); the sound is also more lean and clear (in contrast to full and dense) compared to Thekk; the highs are less fine, rougher, more metallic. Instruments and voices lack body and warmth.

Second comparison: Kennerton Thror with ECL-02 earpads (with small perforations) versus Kennerton Thekk equipped with ECL-01 earpads in stock.
For the record, these ECL-02 pads are supposed to give the Thror a sound close to that of the old Odin mk2 (which is no longer produced).
In a way, it does well, but at the cost of a certain downgrade.

It is undeniable that the bass level of the Thror is boosted with these ECL-02 pads to equal, in the middle bass, those of Thekk, and largely exceed it in the sub-bass (under 50 Hz).

But, because there are several large but, it is a fairly clear downgrade of the Thror equipped with its stock pads, because:
Aeration of the soundstage is clearly lost, which appears to be more confined, less airy, more bushy, and therefore joins the soundstage of the Odin (more compact than that of the Thror equipped with its stock pads, and the Thekk also).

To my ear, we lose a lot of high-mids and low treble, with these ECL-02 pads, with a undeniable dullness altering the timbre of female voices (less distinct and less clear), and also, and especially guitars and brass, which lose very clearly in radiance and brilliance (compared to Thekk); it's too bad ; on the other hand we find an accentuated upper treble, which contrasts with the lack of low treble.
This accentuation of the bass (and sub-bass), this deepening of the low treble and this peak of the upper treble, of the Thror equipped with the ECL-02 pads, remind me a little of the LCD-4: you can like, like not like ; for my part, I don't like it too much.
Admittedly, this effectively brings the Thror closer to the sound of the Odin mk2 (and also of its soundstage), but we find, unlike the Odin, a sound a little "cold", which does not have the luxuriance and the heat of the Odin mk2. The Thror remains the Thror, even if here inflated in bass and sub-bass.

Third comparison: Kennerton Thror equipped with ECL-01 earpads (new), a priori identical to those fitted to my Thekk versus Kennerton Thekk equipped with ECL-01 earpads in stock.

Well, I don't regret buying these ECL-01 pads at all to equip my son's Thror "early" (SN-001), instead of the "old" stock pads.

The Thror is much better equipped with these ECL-01 pads (new) compared to the old pads: the sound of the Thror equipped with these ECL-01 pads is much closer to that of the Thekk, partially erasing the defects observed during my first comparison of the Thror (with its "old" stock pads) with the Thekk (equipped with ECL-01 pads in stock).
As an improvement, we note a higher bass level, without however equaling that of Thekk which keeps a small head start.
The bass impact (percussion slam) is very similar, as is the bass speed, between the Thror (ECL-01 pads) and Thekk (ECL-01 pads). Maybe the Thror's bass is a little deeper, but it's also a little less level.

The aeration of the soundstage is slightly better with Thekk versus Thror equipped with the same ECL-01 pads (with large perforations): the Thekk is slightly more open (and slightly more airy).
The presence of brass (brillance and radiance) and guitars is a little more present with Thekk versus Thror (always with these ECL-01 pads).
The treble of Thekk is always a little more refined and fine than that of the Thror, even if the gap has narrowed with these ECL-01 pads (new).
The voices, especially female, remain more balanced, natural and full with Thekk versus Thror (always with these same pads); stringed instruments also have more fullness (more body and body sound) with the Thekk, versus Thror, although the difference seems less marked when the Thror is fitted with (new) ECL-01 pads.
Finally, the soundstage (in addition to being a little more airy) is also deeper, more in sound relief, "less flat", with Thekk versus Thror.

The Thekk equipped with its stock pads (ECL-01) remains overall more attractive than the Thror (even equipped with new ECL-01 pads) on almost all criteria; otherwise, it is on par with Thror (dynamic and slam, for example).

The Thror may exceed Thekk for the depth of its sub-basses, but not for the mids bass level where the Thekk continues to lead the Thror.

In summary, the ECL-02 earpads that we can try with the Thror are, for me, an obvious downgrade of the headphones, making it in a way very close to the Odin mk2 for the tone, but without equaling it.
Odin remains the Odin (and he is inimitable), and the Thror, even boosted in bass, keeps some characters of the Thror (a certain coldness), but loses a lot in the soundstage, and for the brilliance and radiance of the brass and stringed instruments; guitar and violin which are quite clearly set back, with these ECL-02 earpads.

But this can also be an effect to seek if you want to boost the bass and sub-bass of a headphone, while attenuating the low treble (but not the upper treble); everyone to see.

To conclude: I recommend the ECL-01 earpads (new) with the "early" Thrors equipped with the first models of pads and / or if the foam of the stock pads has deformed a little over time.

As for the ECL-02 earpads, they are not expensive to buy, and depending on your tastes and what you expect from them depending on the style of music you listen to, they can please or not.
It's up to everyone to have their own experience. :)

EDIT: ah, I forgot to say it, and it's important to remember it: this comparison of headphones (Thror equipped with three kinds of earpads versus Thekk), showed the obvious: the Thekk is lighter to wear and therefore more comfortable to wear; the new headband self-adaptive makes all the difference.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #4,012 of 10,116

Uentitled.png

For my friend Mr. Strayngs and Mr. Dave I hope you don't mind I used your excellent picture of your Rasberry Jam red and GH50 JM Edition Karelian Birch Indigo Blue in couple of spots on the latest review for the GH50- one under overview area and once again at the end of my written review- the color of the leather and wood and pads is a match like no other I have ever seen - and knowing how they sound- they truly are my favorite headphone of all time- I am always listening to mine but trying to get hold of ordering a pair in similar color to yours- cheers and thank you for taking such great pictures

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #4,013 of 10,116
Uentitled.png

For my friend Mr. Strayngs and Mr. Dave I hope you don't mind I used your excellent picture of your Rasberry Jam red and GH50 JM Edition Karelian Birch Indigo Blue in couple of spots on the latest review for the GH50- one under overview area and once again at the end of my written review- the color of the leather and wood and pads is a match like no other I have ever seen - and knowing how they sound- they truly are my favorite headphone of all time- I am always listening to mine but trying to get hold of ordering a pair in similar color to yours- cheers and thank you for taking such great pictures

My pleasure!!

Dec 15, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #4,014 of 10,116
I just requested a quote for a GH50 Karelian Birch Indigo Blue (left ear cup) and Karelian Birch Red Rasberry (right ear cup)

lets see... I think it would be awesome....

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #4,016 of 10,116
Been listening to the Wodan and HP-1 back to back and thought I would share my impressions.

haha! You kind of sound like Toby from The Office!

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #4,018 of 10,116
Uentitled.png

Of course I don't mind my friend, you could use any of my photos anytime you want

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #4,019 of 10,116
Dec 15, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #4,020 of 10,116
Still hoping someone can tell me a little more about the Magni. Reviews out there are pretty thin. Does anyone have something they can share? Please don't make me read 268 pages 🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back