KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #136 of 1,358
Some minor knit-picking: one has to remove the cable from the headphones to get them into their carrying case. Not a fan of this. The Bose QC15s and Momentums don't need this to be done. I can play with them to to this, but its a hassle. 

Next, the iPhone control buttons are a bit too small and cumbersome to hit. Much easier on all my other portables. Sound wise though...they're very neutral. Just did a 30Hz to 18kHz frequency sweep, very balanced throughout without any glaring regions (or regions that are "MIA"). The bass is quite impressive and goes down pretty deep.

Not overly efficient either. I need to play the volume a bit louder. No biggie though.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #137 of 1,358
Quote:
IEMs no longer work for me. Comfort issues and after a while my ears filled plugged like I had an ear infection. 
size]
 So, I'm kinda done with them. With my rig put away for the summer (due to many home renovations) I started looking for good portable headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-senn-momentum-sony-mdr-1r-bose-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000

YOu ought to love the m500. I understand.

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #138 of 1,358
Quote:
Yes. Those are it, Well those look more like it, but they have a different color in the middle. I'll see if I can take a photo when I get home.

No need, I think I found a better picture which shows its unique looking design more clearly:

ue90013.jpg

How tightly do they fit to the nozzles? One of my pet peeves with IEMs is when tips get stuck in my ears when removing them. It sounded like these tips only rely on friction to stay on the M200's nozzles, which could become an issue if they loosen over time.

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #139 of 1,358
So far they have not slipped off on me. They slide on easily but do have to expand quite a bit so seem secure.

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #140 of 1,358
No need, I think I found a better picture which shows its unique looking design more clearly:

ue90013.jpg

How tightly do they fit to the nozzles? One of my pet peeves with IEMs is when tips get stuck in my ears when removing them. It sounded like these tips only rely on friction to stay on the M200's nozzles, which could become an issue if they loosen over time.

Those are definitely it!

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #143 of 1,358
Quote:
had a quick test off my portable road warrior source...Samsung note...and ipad.
( not the be$$$t, but its been my bread n butter for so long..and its v practical..)

m500.. very stylish, v light, fit was slightly loose on my skull..
huge spacey soundstage, airy, good comfort, superb isolation total shutout..as in total.
((this is the end of the road for noise cancellation cans I believe )
great for vocals jazz, pop, this can sounds terrific..yesss I reckon for movies too.
when I tried classical pieces...sighhh....sounded like I am sitting not 10 but 20 to 30 rows behind...surprisingly far,
and the resolution was insufficient for me to pick it up...cos I need my classicals to catch a nap in town..:p
we cant have it ALL can we..hmmmmm.
biggrin.gif

The depth is decent but it is not particularly wide sound. Cannot agree and anyone buying expecting a "huge soundstage" will be disappointed. I have yet to encounter any portable closed headphone with anything more than average soundstage but it is part and parcel of this category

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #145 of 1,358
Quote:

The depth is decent but it is not particularly wide sound. Cannot agree and anyone buying expecting a "huge soundstage" will be disappointed. I have yet to encounter any portable closed headphone with anything more than average soundstage but it is part and parcel of this category

Yeah, I agree with you. Imaging is top notch, but that doesn't quite mean that the soundstage is overly wide.

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #146 of 1,358
I've been listening to the RE-400 for the last two days.  This one I'm giving to my girlfriend.  I was thinking of buying another for me, it's that good.  On the other hand I've always been a fan of KEF speakers and the M200 is getting some raves in this thread.  Can anyone compare the two?

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #147 of 1,358
I think the thread already has some comparisons to the RE400. The gist was bigger bass for starters...

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #148 of 1,358
Quote:
I think the thread already has some comparisons to the RE400. The gist was bigger bass for starters...

+2 and a wider soundstage than the RE-400. better timbre and imaging with the KEF, which takes nothing away from the RE-400. But the bass is the biggest difference. It's almost like the RE-400 has no bass compared to the M200.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #149 of 1,358
ericp10,

how do you think m200 compares to W4 and ie80?

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #150 of 1,358
These M200 are so comfortable with the UE900 tips I have periods where I don't even think of the IEM and the hook part just stabilizes everything so nicely. The seal cam pop loose occasionally because it's light but it is no worse than alot of IEM's and so easy and comfortable to re-establish.

I have to say I personally prefer the M200 over the M500 by quite a bit sonically and portably speaking.

I really do have to crank the volume up compared my usual IEM's, anywhere from 5-9 steps on my Nokia 920. But as I said earlier I don't feel like I am fatiguing my ears but do worry that I might be hurting my hearing anyway. I wish there was some way I could measure the decibel level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back