Kaldas Research RR 1 Conquest ($500 Electrostatic)
Dec 20, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #391 of 730
Thanks for replies. Glad to read the RR-1 navigate the bass well on all 3 tracks, and I was hoping so. Thanks also for listing the gear.

On these 3 tracks there is great differences for each song depending on the actual music release version pressed on many cd issues, vinyl and digital sources. Some pressings lack bass, clarity, definition, detail, imaging, etc...others are remarkable. I have searched out & bought some of the best pressings, but have not delved into the aftermarket audiophile vinyl pressings released after the original vinyl issue yet. That is a future project; Steve Hoffman forum helps locate preferred releases for each title; discogs lists them. That difference in pressings (very noticeable among different cd pressings) can also determine how well the headphone responds, also very evident with hi-end full-range loudspeakers for these (3) specific tracks. Great demo test audition pieces.

Getting back to RR-1 now, I'm happy to read it handles these (3) tracks well. Very much interested to buy RR-1 when full production on Kaldas website starts.

Kudos to MrTechAgent for the RR-1.

Thanks again to members for replies to my question.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #393 of 730
Well, they definitely are the most solid sounding bass I've heard from an electrostat. But the squeal I'm getting sometimes from both cups is kind of bumming me out right now. Left connector is looser than right and has the louder, more obvious squeal, but the right squeal is higher pitched and a little more disturbing to me when it happens.

I am getting the squeal in both cups but especially in the left cup. It sounds like high pitched variable whistling. It is not loud but totally detracts me from listening to music. Sound is there even when volume is set to zero.
At first i thought it was my KGST with Benchmark HPA4 as preamp but with my VOCE, SR009 it is silent. Not a sound.
Any ideas whether headphone is defective.

Dec 21, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #394 of 730
I am getting the squeal in both cups but especially in the left cup. It sounds like high pitched variable whistling. It is not loud but totally detracts me from listening to music. Sound is there even when volume is set to zero.
At first i thought it was my KGST with Benchmark HPA4 as preamp but with my VOCE, SR009 it is silent. Not a sound.

Try to analys your unit.
You can use a sine signal at 40-50Hz feed to RR1 while it on your head.
Lets start at 2/3 volume level you daily listening to music then raise up to normal daily level.
EN is not my language so I can not use a word to describle what I heard other than "distortion".
I know what 40Hz should sound (if no distortion or at level human cant detect by bare ears).
I say "distortion" means not same as it would.
One kind of distortion is H1 H2... of basic freqcency.
I dont think I heard those H1 H2... on my RR1, both using track or sine tone.
Driver does not generate them but dust cover.

One part that can make noise is the dust cover as mine. It vibrates by surrounding air. When playing a single tone, pressure will not higher than playing a song at same SPL, but mass of air is much bigger.
And we see dust cover is installed close to driver.

I have no problem at zero volume level or music playing.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #395 of 730
I know both situations.

1) playing music and 2) zero level - even when unplugged.

when 2) unplugged and you can hear something, remove plug an amp - put your finger on the plug until it disappears.
This solves the problem for some time on my rr1.
Touching all pins, not only one like on the picture:
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/10357524.jpg
I can hear this between songs on long listening sessions for several hours.
But i do not know the reason.
Tested with different amps.
Other headphones do not habe this behavior.

for point 1) - you hear different additional noise, if there is a specific frequency - but there are also rr1 which work fine.
Here is an example song:

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #396 of 730

Squeal can happen due to unwanted dust particles. It's not normal.

We don't identify your username so if you could E-Mail us with your Serial and Name a replacement should be shipped out.

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #397 of 730

Well, I am not sure if this is the type of squeal you described or not. I do hear a very faint high pitch noise on the left cup. It's at very low level so it's not audible when the music is playing. But it's there when the music stopped. First I thought the noise came from the tubes in the 006ts. But it's dead quiet when I switched to L-300. This faint squeal would eventually go away after RR1 is on for a while.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #398 of 730
Did you try this trick?
10357524.jpg

Dec 23, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #400 of 730
Touch every pin one at a time until you stop hearing ticks. This has worked for me.

Dec 23, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #401 of 730
Well, I am not sure if this is the type of squeal you described or not. I do hear a very faint high pitch noise on the left cup. It's at very low level so it's not audible when the music is playing. But it's there when the music stopped. First I thought the noise came from the tubes in the 006ts. But it's dead quiet when I switched to L-300. This faint squeal would eventually go away after RR1 is on for a while.

That would also be kind of similar to how mine is, but it ranges from inaudible to audible when playing (will range from feeling that something is off though not really hearing anything to actually distinctly hearing the squealing noise while playing) - varies in intensity sometimes and often does not go away once it starts.

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #404 of 730
I’ve had the RR1 for two months now and it sounds just amazing. In terms of sound quality, there’s no reason to go back to my Planar headphones since the RR1 has the same clean bass & dark sound signature.

The soundstage on the RR1 is more focused as there are no bar magnets in the way (even the Ether TrueFlow technology didn’t do it for me) and the timbre is absolutely amazing with almost no coloration. Vocals are just so crisp, clean and emotional. I’ve only gone back to the Verum 1 when I was lazy to setup the RR1 (I also spent some time to demo the Aiva and HE-5 for a few hours when I received them.)

I've also been using the following oratory1990 EQ from time-to-time through EqualizerAPO when I am craving for a bright-neutral sound signature:
<https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Kaldas Research Conquest RR1>

Note: I have an early unit that has an issue with the left driver aswell but Aumkar has kindly offered a replacement for me. Aumkar has told me he has introduced a new manufacturing flow so I'm hopeful that the driver issue is in the past.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #405 of 730
That would also be kind of similar to how mine is, but it ranges from inaudible to audible when playing (will range from feeling that something is off though not really hearing anything to actually distinctly hearing the squealing noise while playing) - varies in intensity sometimes and often does not go away once it starts.
Interesting, that it seems to be on the left side of different users.
I also have it on the left side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back