Kaldas Research RR 1 Conquest ($500 Electrostatic)
Dec 15, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #376 of 730
Mine is no.54.
Dap Sp1000ss
Balance xlr3 silver
Amp Srm 007tA

At the first unbox moment (w/o xlr3 cable. Cable was rca copper).
I though: Huh? Something wrong with Headfiers. They said, they posted this is dark side headphone!
I love this sound, balance tonal toward bright side abit as like my hd800s.

But just 1hour later.
I agree. yes! dark.
Big change happend quickly to same as I read on this thread.

When writing this words, I've just done 1st FR test by hearing.
Tone gennerator app @ Sp1000 -> xlr3 ->007tA ->RR1 ->my ears.

I must say too much distortion on range of 20-60Hz.
I never ever facing this on my headphones before.
Volume is 50% on the amp with 2.5V input. That is not quite big spl.
Any combine of two tones at 20-50Hz also make the same distortion.
But combine with higher tone such as 300Hz, distortion disappear.
So I am fine, I listen daily and have not facing this problem.

STRANGE THING!!!!
After tone test above ( total time about 5 minutes), RR1 brings me a very good sound!!!
My brain does not need to readjust when switching between hd800s and RR1 (except huge soundstage of 800s).

I read on manual there is guidance for solving the case the film stick on metal mesh. That is not my case, but 50Hz sine tone said to be used.

Is there a best way to burn in a headphone other than playing a list of songs?
Is sine sweep better?

Idk but Im thinking sine sweep and low Hz pure tone improved or solved an unkown "problem"

Hi,
I experienced the same thing (bass distortion) for an hour or two then things calmed down. Don't have any golden advice, but my RR1's plays great from my 006tS and 353X now without any noticeable distortion.
Best regards,
Anders

Dec 15, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #377 of 730
Low Frequency distortion is simply not possible, here's an average %THD Chart for the RR1 Driver -

images~3.png

At 20Hz, %THD can range between 0.2-0.9%.

What you are experiencing is either one of the two -

1) Clipping
2) Excursion limit

PRO-Bias displacement is 0.5mm, that's significantly lower than what a typical Electrodynamic is capable of. It's quite easy to override the max displacement using test tones between 30-60Hz. Can be done on any STAX as well.

Clipping, this is also possible. Sometimes if the Drivers aren't charged, low frequency reproduction can be compromised.

Thirdly, humidity. This is by far the most common factor that could lead to a Bias leak causing sensitivity loss and compromised LF performance.

Basic tips are to always discharge after listening session and store in a nice and dry area.

Dec 15, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #378 of 730
Low Frequency distortion is simply not possible, here's an average %THD Chart for the RR1 Driver -

At 20Hz, %THD can range between 0.2-0.9%.

What you are experiencing is either one of the two -

1) Clipping
2) Excursion limit

PRO-Bias displacement is 0.5mm, that's significantly lower than what a typical Electrodynamic is capable of. It's quite easy to override the max displacement using test tones between 30-60Hz. Can be done on any STAX as well.

Clipping, this is also possible. Sometimes if the Drivers aren't charged, low frequency reproduction can be compromised.

Thirdly, humidity. This is by far the most common factor that could lead to a Bias leak causing sensitivity loss and compromised LF performance.

Basic tips are to always discharge after listening session and store in a nice and dry area.

Well my experience with distorted or "loose" lower frequency response was with the RR1's fresh out of the box. They might have been stored in a humid area during shipping, or drivers might not have been properly charged, can't really tell. Doubt it was due to clipping as I did not play crazy loud. This "issue" was however only temporary for me anyway, bass is now very tight and controlled and overall sound is excellent.

Dec 15, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #379 of 730
I dont know my unit at the unbox have or have not the bass distortion AT SINGLE LF.
I did not test headphone in purpose of a test or judgement.
I just sweep 20 to 20k for open up the brightness the sound (by using EQ later) as did on my ibasso SR1(but finally by air breathing pin hole mod and cable+pad changed).

I did not find distortion on RR1 during MUSIC PLAYING (since unbox till now).

I just find in sweeping( or single LF tone). About 5days after used w/o distortion of bass.

Because the same spl as my daily listening was used, I do not think it ran over 90dB.
Even lowering the volume to 50% ( I daily listen music at ave. of 60%)

One factor I can not confirm is my stax srm 007tA. Is there a problem of it to output a sing LF. (1)
Or my SP1000 dap problem of doing so.(2)

My considering reason are(excl (1)(2)) :
+Resonance
+Dust cover
+Touching (of film and mesh - a result of overdisplacement, if have, or gap accuracy between them).

On my unit, myself find it dust cover related. More detail, it happend due to resonance of dust cover under certain freq!
That explain why at higher SPL playing MUSIC, no problem at all.
50Hz and 300Hz combine tone is ok also.
( I am not basshead, not dance fan).

Environment AQI20 and hum 65% is ensure.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #380 of 730
I also took the RR1 for listening, and not for testing.
On listening some songs, i also heard some type of resonance or distortion, not clipping.
I never hear above 90 dB.
Normally 80 dB or lower.
Sometimes 85 dB.

There are several songs, which do not sound "clean".
Best example for testing is this song - already in the first 20 seconds, you know everything.

This is the soundcloud version STERAC INSTRUMENTAL DUB EDIT.
It is not the same version as "i feel love" from spotify or tidal.

using a different brand of electrostatic headphone (L700 and 404 lambda signature) - the bass is clean and no vibration, resonance or distortion.

But with the RR1 the song does not sound clean, as it is.

i also tested different DAC and 3 different amp.
Always the same, with the 2 stax headphones, it is perfekt with all DAC and all amps

meanwhile i know 6 persons testing this song.
5 have no clean sound (including me testing 2 units)
2 have perfekt sound - 1 user and Aumkar.

i have no testing tools or testing equipement, so i also was running sinus-sweep.
From about 40-80 Hz, i can hear distortion - same level on other stax electrostatic hp, there is no distortion.

now i am waiting 200 hours, maybe it will change, i hope so

i have 23 degree and 45 humidity

Dec 16, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #382 of 730
As already written in a german forum. I have no problems (distortion or something like this) with the RR1 and my music. I tried a lot of tracks with much more bass than your above mentioned test track but everything is fine.
Only this special track sounds a little bit strange. I will check it with my Stax and other headphones in the evening.

Dec 16, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #383 of 730
No problem with bass, no noticeable distortion on any tracks, including the donna summer mentioned above.

Dec 16, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #384 of 730
Clip sound cloud above is bad!!!

Carefully listen on hd800s rr1 shure kse1200, kse1500.

RR1 I dare to turn up volume but my 800s or 1200, can reach much higher SPL (Bcs I know all beyond 100dB w/o damage itself).

I wonder who can found nothing at that track.

I keep my point of view about 50Hz single tone

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #386 of 730
Can anyone help who owns RR1 and a solid state amp (or transformer energizer) or tube amp also ?

Am very curious to read how RR1 can handle (3) specific tracks.....

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Tarkus track, start to finish, (stop at Jeremy Bender track), from Tarkus album.

Genesis - Dance On A Volcano track and Los Endos track, both from A Trick Of The Tail album.

These 3 Tracks characteristically are written with complicated arrangements and fast, complex, deep bass and sub bass.

The tracks are best played from a full-range, very clean source if possible.

If anyone can play any or all of the (3) tracks, please mention amp or energizer used with RR 1, and your thoughts on how it sounds, please !

Great respect to MrTechAgent for creating these headphones.

Many thanks !

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #387 of 730
I have all three tracks, the RR1 and a SRM 1 MK 2 amp and a Gugnir Multibit DAC.

Not sure what you want to know though. Headphones don't really do sub-bass. Even most speakers don't really do it. But in terms of handling complexity, imaging and bass as far as it goes with headphones....

The RR1 is able to handle it just fine. There is no odd distortion. The nice thing is the lack of grain in the treble and overall warmth to the presentation I think with old school prog rock the RR1 is very well suited to that sort of music. I especially liked hearing Tarkus through the RR1.

But honesty, even the most expensive headphones ( and I have heard the Senns and the HiFimans) don't really do bass quite right. You need speakers, really large ones actually, physics being physics and all :wink:

Dec 20, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #388 of 730
I have all three tracks, the RR1 and a SRM 1 MK 2 amp and a Gugnir Multibit DAC.

Not sure what you want to know though. Headphones don't really do sub-bass. Even most speakers don't really do it. But in terms of handling complexity, imaging and bass as far as it goes with headphones....

The RR1 is able to handle it just fine. There is no odd distortion. The nice thing is the lack of grain in the treble and overall warmth to the presentation I think with old school prog rock the RR1 is very well suited to that sort of music. I especially liked hearing Tarkus through the RR1.

But honesty, even the most expensive headphones ( and I have heard the Senns and the HiFimans) don't really do bass quite right. You need speakers, really large ones actually, physics being physics and all :wink:

TH-X00 Purpleheart...absolute subbass MONSTER on a Project Ember with an elecro-harmonix 6H30Pi tube and a little EQing... Nothing I've heard so far does subbass impact like them... and that is only ONE of the reasons why they are in my headphone lineup. RR1 has nowhere near the subbass energy/impact of the Purplehearts:

i-L74fPBt.png

Dec 20, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #389 of 730
I agree that the bass is very impactful, although I would prefer the impactful bass of a susvara or Abyss 1266. But none of them really sound completely right, They just sound great for a headphone. The Abyss 1266 is such a profoundly uncomfortable headphone, i really don't care what the Bass sounds like. The Susvara really only sounds totally great when you spend at least 6-10k on an amp. But that is the best headphone I have heard short of unobtanium Orpheus and HE1. And the bass is fantastic. And yes the TH-X00 purpleheart does have a satisfying bit of slam. But....the RR1 is a much better headphone IMO.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #390 of 730
I agree the RR1 is technically better in many areas (except subbass extension and impact and treble energy and extension) over the Purpleheart. Preference wise though, since the Ember II with Mazda 6CG7 and e-h 6H30Pi tubes, I'd much rather listen to the Purplehearts than any of my e-stats... warmer, more lively, absolutely solid (thick), and massively euphonic sounding. If I could get the technical aptitude of an electrostat with the low end power and overall warm and lively euphonic nature of the purplehearts, that would be my ideal headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back