K701 vs Q701? Take a look at this graph.
Nov 11, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #31 of 45
Yeah they were talking bout the uppity downy part after the flat-ish region.  ie the upper mids and treble.  But it seems there is some product variation after all, though we can't be too sure because PEOPLE WON'T SEND YOU BLOODY HEADPHONES TO MEASURE

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #35 of 45

Quote:

Looks of the FR graph.. I put a baseline on each FR graph and the K701 is flatter.

What I am saying is that you have to be careful of what is flat (neutral sounding) on the HeadRoom graphs. For example, according to the HeadRoom graph of the HD800, it should be laid back somewhat. In real-life the HD800 is trebly as hell. So consider the possibility that the Q701 might indeed be more neutral even with it's slightly downward tilt / slope compared to the K701.

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #36 of 45

Quote:
What I am saying is that you have to be careful of what is flat (neutral sounding) on the HeadRoom graphs. For example, according to the HeadRoom graph of the HD800, it should be laid back somewhat. In real-life the HD800 is trebly as hell. So consider the possibility that the Q701 might indeed be more neutral even with it's slightly downward tilt / slope compared to the K701.

Yes I know, theory doesn't always match the reality of it. Just going by the book.

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #37 of 45

Quote:
Yes I know, theory doesn't always match the reality of it. Just going by the book.

I'm more like F' the book, especially if it's wrong or doesn't jive with well trained ears. 
smile_phones.gif

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #39 of 45
Do you realise those graphs are measured only at a particular volume level, compensated according to an "average" HRTF, averaged and smoothed? You can't just say "The graph is flatter so the headphones are more neutral." It's not that straight-forward. It doesn't account for listening volume or the type of music a person listens to at the very least.

More to the point, I've read quite a few comments where people compared multiple pairs of K701s and found very audible variations in the frequency response. As I understand it, taking them apart and adjusting the porting internally affects the amount of bass.

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #40 of 45

Quote:

As much as I like Headroom and their amps, I stopped trusting their graphs so much when I saw this one:

The KRK is a headphone that has even less bass than the SRH-840 IMO.

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #41 of 45

Quote:
Do you realise those graphs are measured only at a particular volume level, compensated according to an "average" HRTF, averaged and smoothed? You can't just say "The graph is flatter so the headphones are more neutral." It's not that straight-forward. It doesn't account for listening volume or the type of music a person listens to at the very least.

More to the point, I've read quite a few comments where people compared multiple pairs of K701s and found very audible variations in the frequency response. As I understand it, taking them apart and adjusting the porting internally affects the amount of bass.

Do you think there might be any truth to the newer ones on average having more bass then the old ones? Anax and I were quite surprised at the Q701 we recently heard. 

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #42 of 45

Quote:

Yes I'm aware of that. That's why I said graphs are ~80% accurate.

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #43 of 45

Quote:
Weird - word from a very experienced headphone vendor who has stocked the K701 since its release is that the Q701 is the same headphone in slightly different attire - any tweaks Quincy might have suggested are so subtle as to be inaudible. Aaah, humans -- what do we know, right ?

In Q701 close selected drivers are used

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #44 of 45

Quote:

Quote:

Do you think there might be any truth to the newer ones on average having more bass then the old ones? Anax and I were quite surprised at the Q701 we recently heard. 

There's a thread where someone posted how to mod the bass response in the K701s. Also, going by people's descriptions of later versions having more bass, it's very possible they tweaked the bass slightly.  There is or was a Q701 at a local dealer. Being that I've heard K701s, I had zero inclination to try them, but I'll see if I can't give them a go. Might be a problem that the only amp I've seen at the shop was an AT HA-5000, which I'd swear changes the FR of every  AT I've tried with it, so might alter the AKGs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back