K701 vs Q701? Take a look at this graph.
Mar 5, 2011 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus

Could this fix some users complaints about bass? I wonder which sounds more neutral.

Yet, the K701 is still priced $100+ under the Q701. But this is still interesting.

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 45
I'd take all their graphs with a grain of salt though. For example, their KRK KNS-8400 graph make them look like a bass monster like the 750DJ, when it barely has more bass than the SRH-440.
I think many of their graphs are just way off, but no big deal.

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 45
I think the differences may just be the fact that the headphones aren't perfectly placed on the dummy head they use. I doubt you could tell a difference if you listened to both. You never know, of course.

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 45
... the more I compare headphones and check the graphs at headroom I get the feeling that they just alter their graphs to sell newer iterations of the same can.
(I don't wanna say they're getting paid for doing this or anything...)

Plus if you measure the same phone twice you won't get the same results, they differ a bit (positioning of the cans/.etc).
This said no can of the same series is identical (although 99.x% similarity) which produces slightly variations while testing.

There has been gossiping about different drivers/damping/interior of the K70X/Q701 but that's it.
It would surprise me if there was any official note from AKG, hell there aren't even any Mails floating around the net stating this.

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 45

Quote:
... the more I compare headphones and check the graphs at headroom I get the feeling that they just alter their graphs to sell newer iterations of the same can.
(I don't wanna say they're getting paid for doing this or anything...)

Plus if you measure the same phone twice you won't get the same results, they differ a bit (positioning of the cans/.etc).
This said no can of the same series is identical (although 99.x% similarity) which produces slightly variations while testing.

There has been gossiping about different drivers/damping/interior of the K70X/Q701 but that's it.
It would surprise me if there was any official note from AKG, hell there aren't even any Mails floating around the net stating this.

Just some reading as you've made some very valid points:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gage_R%26R

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 45
I've read enough stories of different K701s sounding radically different that I wouldn't read anything into those graphs.  People posting their HD-800 and LCD-2 graphs proved the considerable variation that occurs during manufacture.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #14 of 45
Thanks for that. I wonder what the story is with the HD-800 measurements then.

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 45
Has anyone yet directly compared the K701 to the Q701?

At the very least, the newest 701's seems to have more bass according to some, and the graph up above agrees with that.  So ...  could be some truth there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back