K701 thread
May 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #2,251 of 2,619
in storage at the moment but if I had to, jazz. It really isn't versatile in my opinion.

May 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #2,254 of 2,619
Quote:
What kind of music do you guys listen to with the K 701's?

Everything. Literally. I've grown so accustomed to the K701 sound signature I listen to everything from classical to hip hop and electronic. I prefer them to DT770 for electronic, I know, weird. I'm loving the Infected Mushroom Vicious Delicious album with them. Such an amazing bass punch, someone who thinks K701 are bass light would have a huge "What?!" expression on their face if they heard it.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of music on youtube....this channel is my favorite, TripleJ. I have to say, I've never heard a record  of a piano and vocal sound as good and natural as this. They clearly add some DSP filters to the record, but it sounds real on headphones. So beautifully recorded, and so detailed. I can clearly hear her nails hitting the keys, every single detail is so beautifully recorded and its all musical, smooth without any sibilance. I wonder how good it would sound in lossless format off of youtube:

May 16, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #2,255 of 2,619
Quote:
What kind of music do you guys listen to with the K 701's? I'm loving classical or orchestrated music at the moment. The K 701's just give you the sense of a large stage with the orchestra playing. It's quite a grand sound if I may say so.

I'm everywhere with my K702. I can enjoy the stringiest to the most thumping sound with them. I would probably say I enjoy it more for general purpose than the K702 Annie. I just like sparkly cans.

May 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #2,256 of 2,619
It's been a while Head-Fi. So I still haven't picked up any headphones. I posted a while back about how I was gonna get AKG K701. And so, I'm wondering is about $230ish a good price to get some used, they're burned in after about 100 hours or something? I'm still not entire convinced because how controversial a lot of headphones are.

I was also going to ask about how portable the headphones are. 

May 21, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #2,257 of 2,619
Quote:
It's been a while Head-Fi. So I still haven't picked up any headphones. I posted a while back about how I was gonna get AKG K701. And so, I'm wondering is about $230ish a good price to get some used, they're burned in after about 100 hours or something? I'm still not entire convinced because how controversial a lot of headphones are.

They're not portable at all. First because no portable player can make them sound any louder than a whisper, second because they're not built to be carried around and would break within half an hour in your backpack and third, they leak like small speakers.

May 21, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2,259 of 2,619
I'm looking to get rid of my K702 since I've purchased the Annie. What do you guys think is a fair price to sell a used K702 with box and all documentation? Also, I'm thinking about selling it without the pads. What would be a fair price for that?

May 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #2,260 of 2,619

They're not portable at all. First because no portable player can make them sound any louder than a whisper, second because they're not built to be carried around and would break within half an hour in your backpack and third, they leak like small speakers.

They can be driven pretty loud straight out of an iPhone 4S. The "above a whisper" part might be true for really dynamic music though.

As for portable, I've put them at the top of my backpack where the least amount of stress is applied with the headband facing down multiple times without a problem.

May 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #2,261 of 2,619
Quote:

Everything. Literally. I've grown so accustomed to the K701 sound signature I listen to everything from classical to hip hop and electronic. I prefer them to DT770 for electronic, I know, weird. I'm loving the Infected Mushroom Vicious Delicious album with them. Such an amazing bass punch, someone who thinks K701 are bass light would have a huge "What?!" expression on their face if they heard it.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of music on youtube....this channel is my favorite, TripleJ. I have to say, I've never heard a record  of a piano and vocal sound as good and natural as this. They clearly add some DSP filters to the record, but it sounds real on headphones. So beautifully recorded, and so detailed. I can clearly hear her nails hitting the keys, every single detail is so beautifully recorded and its all musical, smooth without any sibilance. I wonder how good it would sound in lossless format off of youtube:

DAT MAJOR LAZOR COVER. 

May 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #2,262 of 2,619
K701s + Schiit Valhalla + what DAC? (not Bifrost..needs to be USB and I don't want to sink an extra $100 bucks into it just for a USB pathway...)

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #2,264 of 2,619
Hi, been a long time user of the K701. I really like it but....yes there's a but I always feel that the bass is lacking in loudness for me, stopping me from enjoying genres like EDM and Metal on it. Don't get me wrong, the K701 does have bass and it's tight and punchy for me but like I said it lacks the amplitude for my music enjoyment.

Recently got a mad dog and like that too. Better in the bass department and has good midrange as well but I still prefer the K701 mids and highs and that got me thinking. Since the mad dog is basically a modded T50rp and the alpha pads is one of the major contributor for it's sound signature I decided to try it on the K701 just for fun and WOW was I in for a suprise the bass was louder while still being tight and punchy, mids and high is still maintained, in fact I think they've become smoother for lack of a better word.

Since I'm liking the change so much I thought of ways to make it the default pads for the K701 while still being able to go back to the original pads if I ever wanted to. Saw how the audeze LCD 2/3 pads was mounted using a 3M double-sided tape and did the same with the alpha pads to the K701 albeit with a the normal cheap double-sided tape that can be found in stationery shops and there you go a way to make the pads stick and still be a reversible process. And since I'm in a modding mood decided to also mod the cable to be removable and remove those annoying bums on the head strap to make it even more comfortable since the alpha pads not only sounds good to my ears but are comfortable to boot since I'm spending more time with the K701 than before.

Anyway I'm just sharing this and below are some pics of the stuff I've done to it.

Jun 11, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #2,265 of 2,619
I'm reading and I are really enjoying these headphones. Come to think and I like to buy these headphones but I have a doubt. They need amplification?

If I buy an Asus Xonar DX / XD, will be enough to play properly or do I need an amplifier?

Can anyone help please?
Thanks and regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back