K701 thread
Feb 5, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #2,146 of 2,619
#15565 here.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #2,147 of 2,619
I assume the k701, k702 and q701 cupsizes are the same? can somebody measure the cupsize? is it wide and deep enoough for large ears i had problems with dt880, my ears hitting the side of the drivers How does theses headphones fit if u wear glasses. Does it have alot of clamp pressure? If u could compare with senheiser hd600. which one if more comfortable in clamp pressure and size compared with the akg k serie and q serie?

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #2,148 of 2,619
I assume the k701, k702 and q701 cupsizes are the same? can somebody measure the cupsize? is it wide and deep enoough for large ears i had problems with dt880, my ears hitting the side of the drivers How does theses headphones fit if u wear glasses. Does it have alot of clamp pressure? If u could compare with senheiser hd600. which one if more comfortable in clamp pressure and size compared with the akg k serie and q serie?

You can't beat a senn for comfort especially akgs. They are less comfortable if you wear glasses as well.
I can't wear the 702s for too long. Pressure on my head is nuts but there are mods but they require cutting.

If the dts are similar to the 770, the akgs are bigger. 701s and 2s are the same so should size wise. Can't speak for the qs.

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #2,149 of 2,619
Quote:

Cups are identical in all of these AKG's, and much bigger than DT880.  DT880 has a problem because the cup is too shallow, there's no depth. DT770 and 990 dont have this problem, but with 880's you ears will always touch the driver. Its kinda annoying because at first when you try them, when earpads are still new, they dont touch your ear, but as pads wear in, the pressure on ears gets bigger and bigger.  Also,  K701 and Q701 have less clamping pressure than DT880. I would not call it clamping pressure at all actually, more like touching your head, most of the weight is carried by the headband. Thats why a lot of people find them uncomfortable on the top of their head.

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #2,150 of 2,619
Quote:
You can't beat a senn for comfort especially akgs. They are less comfortable if you wear glasses as well.
I can't wear the 702s for too long. Pressure on my head is nuts but there are mods but they require cutting.

If the dts are similar to the 770, the akgs are bigger. 701s and 2s are the same so should size wise. Can't speak for the qs.

Senns arent comfortable. They trick you into thinking that when putting them on because the ear pads are very fluffy and soft, but they never really disappear from the head like Beyers or AKG's do.  All Senns apart from HD598 (talking about high end models) have way too much clamping force, especially HD650's. AKG's feel like a relief when putting them on after HD650's for me.

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #2,151 of 2,619
Senns arent comfortable. They trick you into thinking that when putting them on because the ear pads are very fluffy and soft, but they never really disappear from the head like Beyers or AKG's do.  All Senns apart from HD598 (talking about high end models) have way too much clamping force, especially HD650's. AKG's feel like a relief when putting them on after HD650's for me.

Can't say I've had the same experience as you unfortunately. Face shapes make a difference

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #2,152 of 2,619
Quote:

Quote:

Cups are identical in all of these AKG's, and much bigger than DT880.  DT880 has a problem because the cup is too shallow, there's no depth. DT770 and 990 dont have this problem, but with 880's you ears will always touch the driver. Its kinda annoying because at first when you try them, when earpads are still new, they dont touch your ear, but as pads wear in, the pressure on ears gets bigger and bigger.  Also,  K701 and Q701 have less clamping pressure than DT880. I would not call it clamping pressure at all actually, more like touching your head, most of the weight is carried by the headband. Thats why a lot of people find them uncomfortable on the top of their head.

ok so i quess the akg will fit me, i think i need to try them first.
have to try one of the k or q serie and also the hd600
But i have too travel for this, so thats f@cked up
i want one of the phones right now. i quess i have to wait a little longer
and read more reviews , which gives me even more headache with all contradictions

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #2,153 of 2,619
from what i read so far

the only difference between k701 and 702 is the colour and detachable cable, right? maybe k702 has recessed treble?

and the difference between k70X and Q701 is more bass and different colours, right?

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #2,154 of 2,619
Quote:
from what i read so far

the only difference between k701 and 702 is the colour and detachable cable, right? maybe k702 has recessed treble?

and the difference between k70X and Q701 is more bass and different colours, right?

The newer K 701's supposedly sound like the Q 701, which is warmer-sounding than the K 702. Between the Q 701 and the K 702, the Q's sound a little more musical and the treble isn't as harsh/bright (I don't know the proper term).
Yes the K 702 and the Q 701 have a detachable cable, the K 701 does not.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #2,155 of 2,619
I think Eisenhower said this in some other K/Q70X thread but I really hate it when companies make changes to popular products without any notice. I certainly prefer the sound of the older K701 compared to the Annies. Now I'll know to hunt older models with the 7-bump headband if I decide to get one again in the future.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #2,156 of 2,619
G'day everyone,

I have some questions regarding the K701. I am very new to this hobby, so please bare with me.  I appreciate everyone's replies.

I am looking for a new pair of headphones to upgrade from my HD280.  I am also using an e17 (a very basic and low end set-up).  A while ago, I went to a local audio store where I had the chance to listen to a few headphones.  I listened to LCDs, K701, HD650 and HE400 while plugged into a Burson amp.  I am not sure of the exact model.  I was listening to the live acoustic version of 'Hotel California'.   

Most likely, my untrained ears missed the details that differentiate the greats from the good, but the one headphone that really stood out was the k701 with it's projection of music in front of my face.  Initially, I did not like the K701 headphones as they sounded very 'harsh' (the treble seemed really bright).  But I really enjoyed the sound being projected in front of my face.  

So, I am planning on going back and having another listen to them.  My plan is to at least spend a good hour listening to them.  

So, my first questions is - what songs would you recommend for me listen to through them to make them shine?

How is the soundstage affected with different amps? I am planning to use an O2 with e17 as the DAC.  I am wanting good width and dept to the soundstage.

Is this with all AKG models or just the K701? Or is there a headphone with that front face projecting sound that has good bass as well? I listen to all genres...  I am guessing the k701 would suit classical and jazz a lot more than electronic.  I plan to use them for jazz and classic rock.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #2,158 of 2,619
Quote:
G'day everyone,

I have some questions regarding the K701. I am very new to this hobby, so please bare with me.  I appreciate everyone's replies.

I am looking for a new pair of headphones to upgrade from my HD280.  I am also using an e17 (a very basic and low end set-up).  A while ago, I went to a local audio store where I had the chance to listen to a few headphones.  I listened to LCDs, K701, HD650 and HE400 while plugged into a Burson amp.  I am not sure of the exact model.  I was listening to the live acoustic version of 'Hotel California'.   

Most likely, my untrained ears missed the details that differentiate the greats from the good, but the one headphone that really stood out was the k701 with it's projection of music in front of my face.  Initially, I did not like the K701 headphones as they sounded very 'harsh' (the treble seemed really bright).  But I really enjoyed the sound being projected in front of my face.  

So, I am planning on going back and having another listen to them.  My plan is to at least spend a good hour listening to them.  

So, my first questions is - what songs would you recommend for me listen to through them to make them shine?

How is the soundstage affected with different amps? I am planning to use an O2 with e17 as the DAC.  I am wanting good width and dept to the soundstage.

Is this with all AKG models or just the K701? Or is there a headphone with that front face projecting sound that has good bass as well? I listen to all genres...  I am guessing the k701 would suit classical and jazz a lot more than electronic.  I plan to use them for jazz and classic rock.

I find the K 701's soundstage to be very wide, but not very deep. I don't know if an amp would really help with this though. This is similar to the K 702 and Q 701 as well.
I use an O2 and an ODAC and they sound just fine with the K 701. I prefer the sound from that setup versus a Schiit Bifrost/Lyr combo as it sounds more detailed and much cleaner overall.

As for music, I like Beth Orton's music even though the K 701's don't have the bass impact one might get from a different headphone. The mids of the K 701 are slightly forward and have a bit of warmth, so they present female vocals very nicely in my opinion.
Likewise, I really like Ottmar Liebert, Fourplay, and Chick Corea's music.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #2,159 of 2,619
Quote:
G'day everyone,

You should listen to music as high-res as possible. If possibly, SACD's. It really is noticeable with K701's.

Some of my favorites....well, in general, are anything live, acoustic, instrumental, classical, blues, jazz, vocal, etc.
Maybe try to get a hold of some binuaral records too.

For example....
A.A. Meyers - Air (2011) in 24/192
Engegårdkvartetten - STRING QUARTETS Beethoven; Nordheim; Bartók (2010) in 24/96
John Holloway - H.I.F. Biber - Unam Ceylum (2012) in 24/96

And then something not classical like...
Hoff Ensemble - Quiet Winter Night (2012) in 24/96
Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room (2004) SACD  (2822400 Hz sample rate :p) - sounds absolutely glorious, so much better than CD version. Superb mastering.
Patricia Barber - Verse (2005) SACD - same as the Diana Krall album, just stunningly good sounding.
Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the night (1987) in 24/96
The Eagles - Hotel California - SACD - changed my perception on songs I've heard thousands of times before
Fourplay - Energy (2008) - SACD - such dynamics...clarity, punch....eargasm.
Barney Wilen - French Ballads (1987) - shows how awesome the mids are on K701
Allison Krauss + Union Station - Live (2002) - great live recording
Eric Clapton - Unplugged (live) - also great sounding live record.
Nilf Lofgren - Acoustic Live (1997) - one of my favorite live records, sound awesome, acoustic guitar + vocal, just great.
Vlatko Stefanovski & Miroslav Tadic - Krushevo - probably my favorite of all instrumental guitar records of all time - sounds amazing, there's great ambiance, and music is just awesome.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV-mlPy3TDk

And you definitely have to try out binaural records like:
Amber Rubarth - Sessions from the 17th Ward (2012) - 24/192 - don't have the words to describe the sound here...its as if you're THERE.
Same goes for Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra - Up Close (2008)....  I really wish there were more binaural records out there.  

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #2,160 of 2,619
Thanks for the replies.  'Front face presentation' is probably not the right phrase for it.  

I have added k550 to the list to give the k701 a bit of competition.  

Will play a few songs from the artists you guys mentioned and see how I go.  Will keep you guys updated.  Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back