K701 thread
Jan 14, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #2,131 of 2,619
hmm, maybe thats why when i owned my K701, i didn't find them as bass light as other people described them, they also seemed to have a slight warmth to them. they sounded absolutely fantastic out of the WA6-SE.

EDIT: just checked some of my older pics, i had the new 8 bump version.

Jan 14, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #2,132 of 2,619
Quote:
hmm, maybe thats why when i owned my K701, i didn't find them as bass light as other people described them, they also seemed to have a slight warmth to them. they sounded absolutely fantastic out of the WA6-SE.

EDIT: just checked some of my older pics, i had the new 8 bump version.

Yeah that's really weird. That's the first time I've heard of the difference in "bump" count.
Mine has 8 bumps as well.

7 bumps

^ Also, I just noticed how thin those earpads are. Maybe it's due to break-in/wear over time, but my pads look substantially thicker than that.

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #2,134 of 2,619
Quote:
wow, that is a massive difference in pad thickness. Can it be like that only because of wear time?

Actually I realized my photo was of the back of the earpads, which are supposed to be thicker than the front.

^ this looks more like that other photo, and the thinness of that one might have been due to prolonged use

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #2,135 of 2,619
here's mine, serial no. 14xxx, seven bumps

8380375738_b03bd513ee.jpg

already ordered replacement pads, since i got my K701 pre-owned, and pads haven't been replaced for almost 2 years already..

sounds cold but very detailed, wide, and somehow full when properly driven.
best for acoustic, jazz, and classical.

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #2,137 of 2,619
Quote:
here's mine, serial no. 14xxx, seven bumps

already ordered replacement pads, since i got my K701 pre-owned, and pads haven't been replaced for almost 2 years already..

sounds cold but very detailed, wide, and somehow full when properly driven.
best for acoustic, jazz, and classical.

Hey where are you getting your replacement pads from?  I have a used K701 incoming, serial number ~11k range with at least a few hundred hours on them.  These are of the bass-shy vintage and might need new pads.  I'll know when I get them. But the replacement pads are around $35 each!!!  are there any places selling for less than that?

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #2,138 of 2,619
Well I love my K702s (K702s are K701s in a navy blue colour and detachable cable) but I would not use them if I were worried about upsetting people with the sound output or if I wanted good isolation.

I also have a pair of K550s which are closed back and I find give very good isolation.

I do prefer the K702s over the K550s but the K550s really are excellent headphones.

I haven't tried the Fischer headphones you mention so I cannot comment. I actually read one review here at head-fi which seemed very positive and gave me the impression that those are headphones I might like.

After reading a bunch, I think I am pretty much sold on the K550!

Amazon have them for €167 (£139)...

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #2,139 of 2,619
Quote:
wow, that is a massive difference in pad thickness. Can it be like that only because of wear time?

That's because one picture is taken from the rear and the other from the front. The K70X pads are thicker in the rear to angle to the cup lightly backwards. I noticed this when I once put my pads on at different angles unknowingly, and got a really weird fit on my head.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #2,140 of 2,619
Quote:
Hey where are you getting your replacement pads from?  I have a used K701 incoming, serial number ~11k range with at least a few hundred hours on them.  These are of the bass-shy vintage and might need new pads.  I'll know when I get them. But the replacement pads are around $35 each!!!  are there any places selling for less than that?

i just had a local headphone store here in Manila order a pair for me. i'm getting it for approx. $78 including taxes, which makes it about $39~ each pad.
i know Moon Audio is selling them for $32.50 each pad. can't think of other online sellers that have them for less.

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #2,144 of 2,619
anyone here try these with portable setups? They sound good in my mach speed tablet's headphone out, if only the volume would go higher. A few people on here have said they sound awesome direct into the headphone out of the hifiman hm-601, while one person didn't like the combo. I wonder if that's the only dap that can power them without an external amp. I also wonder if there's a cheap dap that has a line out so I could get an E17 and use that.

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #2,145 of 2,619
Quote:
anyone here try these with portable setups? They sound good in my mach speed tablet's headphone out, if only the volume would go higher. A few people on here have said they sound awesome direct into the headphone out of the hifiman hm-601, while one person didn't like the combo. I wonder if that's the only dap that can power them without an external amp. I also wonder if there's a cheap dap that has a line out so I could get an E17 and use that.

It gets plenty loud out of my iPhone 4S, but the bass is lacking in definition, the treble a bit edgy, and the soundstage pretty congested for the K 701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back