K701 thread
Feb 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #1,981 of 2,619
What would be the best desktop amp for K701 / Q701 in a <500$ price range if I wanted to add a little weight to the sound but not lose sound stage or details?  Currently I use Little Dot Mk5 with them, and while they do sound nice, they're a bit too bright and not weighty enough.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #1,982 of 2,619

Quote:
What would be the best desktop amp for K701 / Q701 in a <500$ price range if I wanted to add a little weight to the sound but not lose sound stage or details?  Currently I use Little Dot Mk5 with them, and while they do sound nice, they're a bit too bright and not weighty enough.

Maybe the Schiit Lyr?...

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #1,984 of 2,619

Quote:
I love the look of these phones, once I save up enough, these are gonna be on the top of my list, same with the Grado sr325i's, any suggestions either way?

I have both K-701 and SR325is. They are both great headphones so it ultimately comes down to your musical preferences. If you like classical go for 701, but if great rock guitars are your cup of tea SR-325is is your choice. However both are so good cans that they need proper recordings. Modern pop-albums are pain to listen.

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #1,985 of 2,619
Feb 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #1,986 of 2,619

Quote:
Have you ever heard the Q with a Lyr?
I'm just looking for impressions........Thx

Nope.  I just figured for under 500 it'd be a good recommendation for a full sound - since it's tubey and what not.

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #1,989 of 2,619

Quote:
Play the heck out of them to get them burned in. :)

It's gonna be a agonising burn in time from what i read. 100 hours before they start to really open up..
eek.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #1,991 of 2,619

Quote:

It's gonna be a agonising burn in time from what i read. 100 hours before they start to really open up..
eek.gif

At about 25 hours, I was listening to my K702s and then put them down to get something to eat. When I came back, they seemed just a bit thin sounding from what I had just remembered, but after about 3 songs they seemed to come back. Not dramatic, but I wasn't looking for the difference. I'm listening to Dance/Trance music. Now at about 40 hours, that effect seems to be less. Has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: Also, I find myself tweaking the volume down bit by bit as I listen to them hour after hour. When I put them down for a while, they sound a bit low so I put the volume back up, then tweak it down gradually...

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #1,992 of 2,619

Quote:

At about 25 hours, I was listening to my K702s and then put them down to get something to eat. When I came back, they seemed just a bit thin sounding from what I had just remembered, but after about 3 songs they seemed to come back. Not dramatic, but I wasn't looking for the difference. I'm listening to Dance/Trance music. Now at about 40 hours, that effect seems to be less. Has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: Also, I find myself tweaking the volume down bit by bit as I listen to them hour after hour. When I put them down for a while, they sound a bit low so I put the volume back up, then tweak it down gradually...

ive listened to my k701s for around 700 hours and there is no possible way for me to know if they were different when i first got them. I Dont think there has been a change and secondly ive been  messing around with equalizers and stuff since the day i got them. But i do think with the little bit of eq they are bludy amazing.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #1,993 of 2,619

eek.gif

I thought my Q701 sounded great straight out of the box.

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #1,994 of 2,619

Quote:

eek.gif

Bull...
biggrin.gif
    I've had my Q701's for a week now, they have over 120 hours of burn in now, since when I'm not using them I'm burning them in (even though I don't believe in it, I still am open minded to the possibility of it being real
wink_face.gif
), and I really don't notice any difference in sound, they sounded great out of the box.  The only difference are the ear pads which got softer (they're really hard out of the box, didn't expect that) and they fit nicer to my head, which creates a better seal and makes the sound a bit fuller, like when you wear headphones and press them against your head, you notice the sound changing a bit. How do I know that its the earpads that changed the sound?  Because when I first put the headphones on there were gaps on a few spots between the pads and my head so big that I could put a finger inside, like under the ear behind the jaw line for example...now those gaps are gone and ear pads have formed to the shape of my head. Now there might be some tiny measurable changes in sound, but its not like the extreme over exaggerations would suggest...people hearing a "huge" difference in sound after X hours is more of a placebo effect and ears getting used to the sound.

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #1,995 of 2,619

Quote:
ive listened to my k701s for around 700 hours and there is no possible way for me to know if they were different when i first got them. I Dont think there has been a change and secondly ive been  messing around with equalizers and stuff since the day i got them. But i do think with the little bit of eq they are bludy amazing.

I love how versatile they are! 'Clean and subtle' is what I would call the bass - it's there in the background where it should be. If you want a bit more power to your music, you can EQ it up a bit, as you like. I listen to Dance music with flat EQ, and it's perfect. The thump is there without giving me a headache. :)

Quote:
Bull...
biggrin.gif
    I've had my Q701's for a week now, they have over 120 hours of burn in now, since when I'm not using them I'm burning them in (even though I don't believe in it, I still am open minded to the possibility of it being real
wink_face.gif
), and I really don't notice any difference in sound, they sounded great out of the box.  The only difference are the ear pads which got softer (they're really hard out of the box, didn't expect that) and they fit nicer to my head, which creates a better seal and makes the sound a bit fuller, like when you wear headphones and press them against your head, you notice the sound changing a bit. How do I know that its the earpads that changed the sound?  Because when I first put the headphones on there were gaps on a few spots between the pads and my head so big that I could put a finger inside, like under the ear behind the jaw line for example...now those gaps are gone and ear pads have formed to the shape of my head. Now there might be some tiny measurable changes in sound, but its not like the extreme over exaggerations would suggest...people hearing a "huge" difference in sound after X hours is more of a placebo effect and ears getting used to the sound.

Interesting! But you DO notice a SLIGHT sound difference? Is it still there if you pull the headphones away just enough to open up a small gap, like when you bought them? (I doubt there will be a HUGE difference in sound as they burn in myself... I'm hoping not! I like them just the way they are... just a smidgeon more 'full' sounding in the mid and lower bass without EQ would be perfection.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back