K701 thread
Dec 19, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #1,936 of 2,619

Quote:
You forgot to paint the cable green ^  

The green coloured cable is the key to the Q701s sound!
wink_face.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #1,937 of 2,619
Dec 29, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #1,938 of 2,619
I just found that crappy mp3 or aac files ripped by iTunes somehow make sounds out of these headphones fun, less fatiguing and analytical compared with EAC-ripped lossless files.
Strange as it may sound, but actually prefer the former.
Anyone same as me?

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #1,940 of 2,619

Quote:
I just found that crappy mp3 or aac files ripped by iTunes somehow make sounds out of these headphones fun, less fatiguing and analytical compared with EAC-ripped lossless files.
Strange as it may sound, but actually prefer the former.
Anyone same as me?

blink.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #1,942 of 2,619

I find it difficult to listen to bad overly compressed MP3 files and crappy low bit rate Apple iTunes files thru my Q701s
It bothered me so much that I finally bought a pair of Sennheiser PX 100 ii just for listening to crappy low bit rate files.................YMMV.

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #1,943 of 2,619

Quote:

I find it difficult to listen to bad overly compressed MP3 files and crappy low bit rate Apple iTunes files thru my Q701s
It bothered me so much that I finally bought a pair of Sennheiser PX 100 ii just for listening to crappy low bit rate files.................YMMV.

PX 100 II would definitely smooth over those crappy files 
happy_face1.gif
  Low bit-rate files on my Q701s sound a bit like crappy internet streams.  I usually skip to the next track after I hear the compression in the first 5-10 seconds.

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #1,944 of 2,619

Quote:

PX 100 II would definitely smooth over those crappy files 
happy_face1.gif
  Low bit-rate files on my Q701s sound a bit like crappy internet streams.  I usually skip to the next track after I hear the compression in the first 5-10 seconds.

I hear ya talkin' bro! I don't like the crappy compression either!
Grrrrr
angry_face.gif
!   Damn the major labels!

The PX 100 ii works because the highs are soooo rolled off!  LOL    Oh well, it works for me!

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #1,945 of 2,619
Hi liamstrain
My Q701 is still in the mail, I should receive it today. My next step is a HP amp, the matrix m-stage at first thought, or the mini i which I think is a good dac with balanced options (futureproof) and it even has a HP Amp (not sure if it can do a good job driving the Q701), then upgrading to a better amp sometime later. But that would mean a balanced amp (ie more $).
Thing is I didn't find enough reviews of the mini-i to really help me make up my mind. Have you heard it or read some good reviews about it? 
By the way which headamp you added and how are you happy with it?

Quote:
I thought the II+ just added a headamp to the DAC in teh regular streamer - may not be worth it, if you are happy with the amp end already. 

I'm currently waffling between the Cambridge DacMagic and the Matrix Mini-i (currently the fav, based on features and price), to be my new DAC... but have not acquired either one yet. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #1,946 of 2,619
I left my k701 on and went away for a few minutes. When I came back, the right channel wasn't working anymore. Any ideas?

Right now I'm trying to open it up to check the connections. I got the grill off, and removed the screws, but now I can't get the latch to release? Tips? Also how can I check the connection going through the headband part?

Jan 2, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #1,948 of 2,619
After those initial screws, pry off that upper half of each cup with force, carefully.  It is quite durable and mildly flexible, start at an edge.  Then you have easy access to the wiring for check ups.  Make sure that each of the signal wires does not loop around and then touch itself.

Your headamp and dac are fine for certain, right?  Get a multimeter if you don't have one and check how high DC offset at your rig's output is.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #1,950 of 2,619
I had a pair of AKG K241 for 27 years, they worked fine when I traded them in.
I still have a pair of 31 year old Sennheiser HD424s, they still work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back