K701 thread
Apr 12, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #1,426 of 2,619

Quote:
so are you all saying the FiiO E9 alone drives the AKG K701/2's with ease and sounds great? Will it be a great improvement from the Astro Mixamp? What about the CMoy amps or FiiO E7??

Or post in my thread..
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/548831/whats-a-good-inexpensive-amp-to-drive-akg-k701-s

The E9 is a huge improvement over the E7 and any Cmoy I've tried for driving  the K701. The K701 sounds harsh out of the E7 and the bass lacks in definition.  Highs are raspy the mids are not as clear. E9 fixes the bass definition, keeps the highs smooth and sparkly, and makes the mids magical.

Regarding the Mixamp, I haven't tried it but MLE has the Mixamp and the E9, let's wait for him to chime in, but I'm pretty sure he'll say the E9 is way better.

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #1,427 of 2,619
IMHO, E9 is a wonderful and cheap amp that drives k702 wonderful.

I use it everyday with both of my cans, and using E7 as a DAC, and i'm pretty happy with the sound.

The next step, for me, is the Lyr, but that is still far to acomplish :p

In my opinion, you won't regret getting the E7+E9 combo, since E9 drives K702 with ease.

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #1,428 of 2,619
Quote:
My K701's have never sounded this good.

I have spent all day today listening to my K701's with this amp.  I think I have been barking up the wrong tree when trying to synergise amps and headphones.  I have always been somewhat stuck with the concept that a warm phone must synergise with a neutral or forward amp, and forward headphone with a neutral or warm amp.  Today proved my own beliefs were flawed.

This particular headphone amplifier is a full tube amplifier which I felt paired well with the HD650 due to its "euphonic body of tone" existing in the mid/uppermid frequencies, to balance the peaky lower midrange resonance of the HD650...Therefore my logic dictated that it would not match with the K701...and thats how I left it...until today.

Quite a few people complain that the K701 has a upper midrange peak - which creates a discontinuity between the rest of the spectrum.  At times I also hear this - which is why, though I truly enjoyed the K701's, they were not my absolute favorite.  However when I plugged the K701's today to this tube amp - I was truly stunned.  Quite possibly because the amplifier has been thoroughly burned in by my HD650's since I last listened to it wit the K701.

It seems to me that what has occurred is that the "euphonic body of tone" that resides in the mid/upper-mid of this amplifier, has descended upon the upper-midrange resonance of the K701 - merged together and removed the discontinuity in the frequency ranges, forming a seamless frequency response that incorporates a smooth, liquid, full bodied midrange that remains absolutely neutral, natural and palatable.  Liquid, smooth and full-bodied are words that I would never have associated with the K701.

More importantly is the result that instruments now sound realistically close range to me...not faraway and resonating in a large auditorium.  Whereas the HD650 is my favorite because when it is synergised to my setup - it sounded the closest to me to jamming and rehearsals when I was drumming in a band in an intimate surrounding, and listening at the drummers seat.  The K701's now that I believe I have found synergy, sounds very much like when I took a break and watched and listened to the group members jamming from a few meters away.  The memories bring  tears to my eyes (not really, but you get the gist).  Imaging seems so much better now as well.

The details are not lost and is as incredible as ever, the K701 is not trying to do something it was never designed to do, ie sound dark or warm - but the tonal elements have been enhanced to no end.  There has been no compromise in the K701's inherent strength, ie when paired to a super warm amp, details can be subdued as a side effect.

I have owned these K701's for two years - and only today, can I say I truly love them.  The K701 may not knock the HD650 as my favorite, but whether if there remains one single headphone designated as favorite remains to be seen.

smile_phones.gif

This was the post that inspired me to chase tubes for my K701s.  So far, I'm VERY happy with my purchase of a used WA6.  I don't want to be redundant but SP's impressions here are spot on for what tranformer-coupled tubes do for the 701s.  I've never enjoyed my K701s as much as I do now, with a wider range of music as well.  Will post more impressions once my NFB-2 DAC arrives.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #1,432 of 2,619

Quote:
today i put a sock under the headband : the earpad positionning improved greatly, and no more pain.
Someone definitely got to come with a headband solution !!

There's a couple - you can replace it with a K601 headband, or you can cut the bumps out.

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #1,433 of 2,619
as of today i am now part of the K701 club! :D i'm running them through my receiver until i can get the money for an E9. enjoying them regardless. VERY comfortable. earcups are much bigger than i had thought, but doesn't bother me at all.

Apr 16, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #1,435 of 2,619

I am fortunate to have never had an issue with the K701's headband. I do have the newer version that has 8 humps and not 7 (serial # in the 44000s) but I have tried the older model with 7 bumps and never had the "hammer on my head" effect people tend to complain about.
Quote:
today i put a sock under the headband : the earpad positionning improved greatly, and no more pain.
Someone definitely got to come with a headband solution !!

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #1,436 of 2,619
I really like my AKG K 702, I don’t even have problems to play rock song with it, vocals, especially female vocal are sounds very beautiful.

And just come up with an idea to combine ibasso D4 mamba with Fiio e9 for my AKG k 702.... so i can connect my ipod with LOD to the ibasso d4 and connect the D4 to Fiio e9

what do u think of this idea ? since i heard that D4 have quite not enough power for k702, but it may have better sound quality than e7, can the presence of ibasso D4 to replace e7 can make the sound better than e7 + e9 ?

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #1,437 of 2,619
With a LOD I don't think you're getting a digital signal like you are when you use the E7 or D4 as a DAC w/ a computer.  If I'm not mistaken an LOD just gives you analog line-level out of an iPod which means you're still using the iPod's internal DAC to the D4 amp > E9 amp.  I would guess that the E7's performance as a DAC is probably better than the iPod's.  I think you want digital out of an ipod (am I right?) in which case you may want to look at Wadia's offerings.

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #1,440 of 2,619
I noticed that I only need 40% volume bar from my ipod and 60% bar from my PC to get the comfortable sound volume for my K702 without amps, more than that, I will hurt my ears I think.

If im not mistaken, power is related to sound volume right ?  that’s mean I only need to look for amps with better sound quality to make my K702 sounds better more than looking for amps with bigger power. Am I right ? or maybe I am wrong ? <.<

About my idea to connect ibasso, with fiio, im wondering if D12 will work better for sound quality than D4 or D6 ? since D12 is newer than D4 and D6, its supposed to have better sound quality right ? <.<  please fell free to correct me if im wrong ^_^ v

Users who are viewing this thread

Back