K701 thread
Feb 19, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #1,381 of 2,619

Quote:
Anyone try recable 701 to koaxial cables ? Some flexy near 3mm ? I think about RG 178 or 316.

There has been at least 8000 threads on K701 re-cabling. Use the SEARCH function.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #1,382 of 2,619
I've had my K702's for over 2 weeks now and im finding the soundstage to be kinda unrealistic. Its very left-right if you know what i mean. Well compared to my HD600's anwyays. Would i need a good DAC to fix this issue or are K702s meant ot be like this

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #1,383 of 2,619

Quote:
I've had my K702's for over 2 weeks now and im finding the soundstage to be kinda unrealistic. Its very left-right if you know what i mean. Well compared to my HD600's anwyays. Would i need a good DAC to fix this issue or are K702s meant ot be like this

The best way to answer to your question is to try out the SPL's at some pro music store.

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #1,384 of 2,619
It's identical with the LD mkV and the 0404 DAC.....extremely left/right. I think a cross feed plugin might help make it sound more realistic... like speakers....going to try that soon...but thats only good for listening on the computer unless your amp has cross feed..

Quote:

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #1,385 of 2,619
Thanks, YUCEKA. I appreciate it.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #1,386 of 2,619
Quote:
Just wanted to update since early I expressed my dissatisfaction with these headphones.

I did have this kind of experience too. I was about to sell my K701, and I changed my mind. What's the problem? I did not have an amp to make it shine. Now, I believe that K701 is that good if and only if an amp of high quality is its side. My advice: Buy K701 if you a high quality amp! I think this is also true with higher end headphones like HD800, LCD 2 and T1!
biggrin.gif

Welcome to Headfi. Sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

I only mentioned this statement this time but when I have Grado SR60, I was not a believer of it.
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #1,387 of 2,619

Quote:
Just wanted to update since early I expressed my dissatisfaction with these headphones.

I did have this kind of experience too. I was about to sell my K701, and I changed my mind. What's the problem? I did not have an amp to make it shine. Now, I believe that K701 is that good if and only if an amp of high quality is its side. My advice: Buy K701 if you a high quality amp! I think this is also true with higher end headphones like HD800, LCD 2 and T1!
biggrin.gif

Welcome to Headfi. Sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

I only mentioned this statement this time but when I have Grado SR60, I was not a believer of it.
biggrin.gif

If you take a look at the "Amp A/B Comparison thread" (or wording close to that--search it), you will see very favorable  comparisons of the Fiio E9 amp ($129 at Amazon) with kilobuck amps. I personally have not heard it, though I have ordered one to try. You can't get a much better deal than that. 
k701smile.gif

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #1,390 of 2,619

Quote:
Is there an old and new version of the AKG K701/2?  I've searched and only read about serial #'s changing sides, any differences sonic?  

Unlike the visibly different HD650 drivers...the general consensus is no, there do exist a few individuals that claim to hear otherwise.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #1,391 of 2,619

Quote:
If you take a look at the "Amp A/B Comparison thread" (or wording close to that--search it), you will see very favorable  comparisons of the Fiio E9 amp ($129 at Amazon) with kilobuck amps. I personally have not heard it, though I have ordered one to try. You can't get a much better deal than that. 
k701smile.gif

I drive my k701 with my e7+e9 and to me it's the greatest investment I've ever made. Everyday I read how inferior the e9 is, and even the k701, yet I can't even imagine setups costing double and even triple what I paid sounding that much better that it would be worth the "upgrade".

Mar 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #1,392 of 2,619

Quote:
Unlike the visibly different HD650 drivers...the general consensus is no, there do exist a few individuals that claim to hear otherwise.

This is true. Still, I have read people claiming there are differences between K701s because of small differences in the drivers etc. This is because no driver can be exactly the same, they say, so therefore every headphone is unique, just like an instrument.

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #1,394 of 2,619
I'm listening to the Q701 in white as I write this, paired with the Burson HA160 amp and spinning CD's on my NAD player. Not only does it sound better than my K702, but I prefer it over my HD800 on many discs. Sounds powerful and dynamic, solid deep well defined bass, great mids and excellent transparency without harshness or any sibilance. Despite what many say here on head-fi, that there is no difference,etc, don't believe it. Anyone with a good rig can hear it. Price has dropped on Amazon to below $250. I will post a review once I have really sorted these things out, but make no mistake, the Q701 is the real deal.

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #1,395 of 2,619
Thats exactly how I felt about the K701 when I had it.  If it weren't for the fact that I'm a basshead and only listen to electronica (which requires more bass than the K701 provides) I would still have the AKGs and would still be loving them.

Quote:

I drive my k701 with my e7+e9 and to me it's the greatest investment I've ever made. Everyday I read how inferior the e9 is, and even the k701, yet I can't even imagine setups costing double and even triple what I paid sounding that much better that it would be worth the "upgrade".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back