K701 thread
Oct 2, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #1,202 of 2,619

Quote:
Yeah, after reading 100s of threads, I don't think I've heard another amp praised as much as the M-Stage for its synergy with the K701.  I'm ordering mine soon.  Can't wait.

F*ck threads. Listen on your own. Obviously we can't get our hands on much of the gear we'd like to, but you have to have some knowledge and experience to make a good judgment. Don't just buy the one unit that "everyone says" is so great with 'X' other unit. 

Make your own decision. 

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #1,203 of 2,619

I did, after reading hundreds of threads.  Implying that I'm to somehow buy and test every single piece of equipment before I buy it is ludicrous and almost impossible.  If hundreds of people seem to agree that this amp is great for the K701, chances are that it is.  Does that mean its the best amp? Not at all.  The chances of it being horrible to my ears, however, is incredibly unlikely.  

Once I do get it, I'll let you guys know, FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE, what I think.

I was just trying to help the user decide on an amp.  For you to come in and point out the obvious fact that I haven't heard it is stupid.  If people ONLY bought things from their personal experience with them, there would be little point in this forum, as no one would care what other people thought.  
Quote:
F*ck threads. Listen on your own. Obviously we can't get our hands on much of the gear we'd like to, but you have to have some knowledge and experience to make a good judgment. Don't just buy the one unit that "everyone says" is so great with 'X' other unit. 

Make your own decision. 

Oct 3, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #1,204 of 2,619
I actually got the m-stage before reading about its synergy with the K-702.  Price was right and it improved on my previous amp with volume and gain control.  It does all that and then some~

For those with less cash, going with something proven is often a better risk than experimenting.  This is fact, not opinion.  Of course reading reviews and understanding the product your buying is important as well(if say another amp seemed to have complaints or praises on a type of sound you personally enjoy).

Oct 3, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #1,206 of 2,619

Quote:
I did, after reading hundreds of threads.  Implying that I'm to somehow buy and test every single piece of equipment before I buy it is ludicrous and almost impossible.  If hundreds of people seem to agree that this amp is great for the K701, chances are that it is.  Does that mean its the best amp? Not at all.  The chances of it being horrible to my ears, however, is incredibly unlikely.  

Once I do get it, I'll let you guys know, FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE, what I think.

I was just trying to help the user decide on an amp.  For you to come in and point out the obvious fact that I haven't heard it is stupid.  If people ONLY bought things from their personal experience with them, there would be little point in this forum, as no one would care what other people thought.  

Where did I imply that you should buy & test everything? That's YOUR invention. My point was that you should try to listen to as many as you can get your hands on out of a list of contenders, not buy simply on someone else's recommendation.

Why? Because we all hear a bit differently than the next person. What sounds great to me may not to you, and so on. 

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #1,207 of 2,619
Try before you buy is obviously preferable, and I agree people hear differently, but if there are multiple threads where tons of people praise the synergy between the Matrix and the K701, chances are that the amp is a good match for the headphones.  I was simply letting the poster know of this.

Quote:

Where did I imply that you should buy & test everything? That's YOUR invention. My point was that you should try to listen to as many as you can get your hands on out of a list of contenders, not buy simply on someone else's recommendation.

Why? Because we all hear a bit differently than the next person. What sounds great to me may not to you, and so on. 

Oct 4, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #1,208 of 2,619
My 702s have hit around 400 hours now, and I am very impressed with them. The bass has come out a lot more now. It's just bliss to listen to
smily_headphones1.gif
 Got mine paired up with a Corda Stepdance which does a great job at driving them.

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #1,209 of 2,619
Well the K701 has scaled up yet again, this time when I was auditioning the HE-6. They came with a speaker tap adapter, and I had pulled my Alesis RA150 50wpc power amp out of storage (my K701 is already dual-terminated into a 4-pin XLR). The bass on the K701 became more pronounced, and overall they sounded more liquid than ever. The highs were more extended as well, and they maintained their great detail. They only played at 8 - 9 o'clock on the dials(s), but I could tell that they really appreciated the additional current.

Oct 10, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #1,210 of 2,619

Quote:
Well the K701 has scaled up yet again, this time when I was auditioning the HE-6. They came with a speaker tap adapter, and I had pulled my Alesis RA150 50wpc power amp out of storage (my K701 is already dual-terminated into a 4-pin XLR). The bass on the K701 became more pronounced, and overall they sounded more liquid than ever. The highs were more extended as well, and they maintained their great detail. They only played at 8 - 9 o'clock on the dials(s), but I could tell that they really appreciated the additional current.

Man be careful, the Alesis RA150 is speakers amp and not hps amp.

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #1,211 of 2,619
Well, I think the honeymoon with the HD800 is over and I immdediately demad a divorce.  I got sick of listening to music for nearly a week, and I think the fling with the HD800 had a lot to do with it.  I tried them last night after appreciating the T50 orthos and I thought I was cool with listening to headphones again after enjoying the T50s so much, when I put on the HD800 - it felt lick ice picks going into my ears, the treble reminded me of why I didn't want to listen to cans for nearly a week.  Recently the HD800 were the sole headphones I listened to and benchmarked everything against.

I then put the K701 on straight afterwards, and it felt like a relief from the metalic glare of the HD800, it produces less bass than the HD800, but the top end is rolled off compared to the HD800.  It was actually quite soothing to the ears compared to the HD800 and does not produce the high frequency metallic sheen.  I guess I was only delaying the inevitable conclusion by listening to the HD800s at lower volume - it just took longer to fatigue.

Its funny because these were exactly the same conclusions I made earlier in the year when I first auditioned the HD800 and compared them directly to the K701 at the store.  Only I was smarter back then to turm the volume up to realistic performance levels and arrived to the same conclusion in less than 15 minutes, ie the HD800s serve as an icepick through my head.  There is no place in my collection for the HD800 unfortunately, not if they make listening to my headphones a sickening thought.  The K701 stays.

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #1,212 of 2,619

Quote:
Well, I think the honeymoon with the HD800 is over and I immdediately demad a divorce.  I got sick of listening to music for nearly a week, and I think the fling with the HD800 had a lot to do with it.  I tried them last night after appreciating the T50 orthos and I thought I was cool with listening to headphones again after enjoying the T50s so much, when I put on the HD800 - it felt lick ice picks going into my ears, the treble reminded me of why I didn't want to listen to cans for nearly a week.  Recently the HD800 were the sole headphones I listened to and benchmarked everything against.

I then put the K701 on straight afterwards, and it felt like a relief from the metalic glare of the HD800, it produces less bass than the HD800, but the top end is rolled off compared to the HD800.  It was actually quite soothing to the ears compared to the HD800 and does not produce the high frequency metallic sheen.  I guess I was only delaying the inevitable conclusion by listening to the HD800s at lower volume - it just took longer to fatigue.

Its funny because these were exactly the same conclusions I made earlier in the year when I first auditioned the HD800 and compared them directly to the K701 at the store.  Only I was smarter back then to turm the volume up to realistic performance levels and arrived to the same conclusion in less than 15 minutes, ie the HD800s serve as an icepick through my head.  There is no place in my collection for the HD800 unfortunately, not if they make listening to my headphones a sickening thought.  The K701 stays.

Man, this exactly what I said for the last year. Let others to fantasize with the lower volume BS.

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #1,213 of 2,619

Quote:
Man be careful, the Alesis RA150 is speakers amp and not hps amp.

Yeah gotta start with the volume low lol, BUT it is an 8 ohm amp so its not as bad as it sounds?

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #1,214 of 2,619
Just got my K701 in the mail today having never heard a pair before. After the first 10 seconds, I wondered if I had made a mistake. Compared to the Grados, HF2 & SR225, I have, they're just so less "in your face"(ear?) and fun. I felt like the sound was recessed in the cups and too far away.Then again, I started with the volume pretty low listening to Megadeth. Listening to some Hiromi(jazz piano with a band), I'm starting to fall in love. I  have a feeling I'm going to reach for these whenever I want to listen to real one-mic recordings, especially with non-electronic instruments. I understand how people call them analytic. Bass seems a little soft to me and at low volumes they sound a little thin across the board.

I don't think I like the sound of overdrive guitar on these--its too clean, maybe separated? (i know, criticizing accuracy). I'm using an E-mu 0404 into a Audio-gd C-2C; maybe a hybrid or tube amp would change things.

I'll continue to listen and break them in and see if I can figure out how I really feel about them.

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #1,215 of 2,619

Quote:
Just got my K701 in the mail today having never heard a pair before. After the first 10 seconds, I wondered if I had made a mistake. Compared to the Grados, HF2 & SR225, I have, they're just so less "in your face"(ear?) and fun. I felt like the sound was recessed in the cups and too far away.Then again, I started with the volume pretty low listening to Megadeth. Listening to some Hiromi(jazz piano with a band), I'm starting to fall in love. I  have a feeling I'm going to reach for these whenever I want to listen to real one-mic recordings, especially with non-electronic instruments. I understand how people call them analytic. Bass seems a little soft to me and at low volumes they sound a little thin across the board.

I don't think I like the sound of overdrive guitar on these--its too clean, maybe separated? (i know, criticizing accuracy). I'm using an E-mu 0404 into a Audio-gd C-2C; maybe a hybrid or tube amp would change things.

I'll continue to listen and break them in and see if I can figure out how I really feel about them.

You will definitely keep these for the jazz and classical.  I just bought the HF2's and I'm thinking whether I made a mistake with them.   Their mids seem to completely fail to reproduce a transparent sound for the mids when compared to the K702's on classical; whereas the AKG's perform OK on the HF2's domain (rock and guitar).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back