K701 thread
Sep 24, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #1,156 of 2,619

Quote:
Have you heard the K501s?
wink_face.gif

I'm sure he means of current-production models, not discontinued models that may not be readily available. 

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #1,159 of 2,619

Quote:
To those that claim that the 701/2s are over-rated I ask: how can the sound of these for $275 US be over-rated???

Quote:

Totally agree. For the price, they are incredible. I have moved on to higher end gear along the way of my audiophile journey, but the K701 still remains the best bang for the buck out there and will always remain in my possession.

Oh yea. Back when I had these with the iBasso Toucan from the T51 LO ( semi portable for library/desk) I loved the sound I was getting; loved it. With heavy EQ they could give me the fix for rap/pop/electronic, etc. but I really got them for classical, acoustic, and vocal oriented stuff in which they performed up to standards. I admit though; I had to get a custom cable that gave some love to the lower/mid end of the spectrum because with the stock cable; it just didn't sound too natural; slightly too tinny; and they were getting enough power. 

The cable fixed all of those problems though. Loved those things; sadly I sold them because I don't have time to listen to music in my room anymore. 

Sep 25, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #1,160 of 2,619
I am replacing the cable on the k702(not the internal wiring) to a 4' blue jeans construct.  Don't know if it will do much but the stock cable for me was too long.  I needed something shorter so it would more or less hang out in the air then having a big bundle on the numpad of my keyboard.

That being said, most stock headphone cables are pretty bad in terms of spec.  Since after all its already analog by that point.

Sep 25, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #1,161 of 2,619
Detractors mention that the right side cup is fed by clothes hanger wire so don't waste your money unless bi-wired. Others have heard a nice improvement.

Sep 25, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #1,162 of 2,619

Quote:
Still surprised you had any distortion to begin with, I had none and in terms of "burn-in" I have not used for all that long.  Since I just listen to my headphones and don't leave them playing 24/7.  I listen to a lot of bass heavy music, and have done frequency sweeps just to test them out.

Where does the 70x loose bass response? I lost it around 35-40~ but it may have been roll off of my tube DAC.

Sep 25, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #1,163 of 2,619

No idea, don't have the equipment to test it on a graph or the fine tuned ears to notice it.  But I can still hear a 20hz sound file through these headphones.  All I know is there was no distortion of any kind nor is there in any of my music.
Quote:
Where does the 70x loose bass response? I lost it around 35-40~ but it may have been roll off of my tube DAC.

Sep 25, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #1,164 of 2,619

Quote:
I am replacing the cable on the k702(not the internal wiring) to a 4' blue jeans construct.  Don't know if it will do much but the stock cable for me was too long.  I needed something shorter so it would more or less hang out in the air then having a big bundle on the numpad of my keyboard.

That being said, most stock headphone cables are pretty bad in terms of spec.  Since after all its already analog by that point.

I made my own replacing cable (not the internal wiring) with Mogami Studio Quad 4 conductor cable : http://www.mogamicable.com/additional/technology.php. I can easy say there is about 20% improvement in the sound over the stock cable. Here more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/378255/akg-k702-build-your-own-cable.

Sep 25, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #1,165 of 2,619

Quote:
I made my own replacing cable (not the internal wiring) with Mogami Studio Quad 4 conductor cable : http://www.mogamicable.com/additional/technology.php. I can easy say there is about 20% improvement in the sound over the stock cable. Here more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/378255/akg-k702-build-your-own-cable.

The cable I got cost a lot more probably(since someone else is making it for me) but he is using Belden 1508a for the cable, and a switchcraft for the 3-pin mini xlr.  Looking at the price different, A LOT more but I am inexperienced so I am paying for convenience.

Sounds like a nice project if I get a chance to warm up my soldering iron skills and have the funds to replace the headphones in case I mess up.  I would make a similar cable to yours but replace the internal wiring as well.  My question would be what kind of wire would be good for the internals.  I wonder if you can snake the same kind of wire through the arcs above the headband to the right cup.

Which did you settle on? W2534 or W2893

The Belden's capacitance is ~31pf/foot according to their site.  Might be less shielded but I would agree that for short runs it shouldn't be a problem.

Sep 25, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #1,166 of 2,619
K701 is bass light compare to all the other phones. I've been using a parametric EQ to add 5db at 20Hz (which creates a nice curve from +5db 20hz to +0.1db at 100hz). Creates a completely different feel. The fact that everything else remains crystal clear even with added bass speaks volumes about this headphone.

Going to EQ the mid-high bump out, then it'll be perfect.

Sep 25, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #1,167 of 2,619

Quote:
The cable I got cost a lot more probably(since someone else is making it for me) but he is using Belden 1508a for the cable, and a switchcraft for the 3-pin mini xlr.  Looking at the price different, A LOT more but I am inexperienced so I am paying for convenience.

Sounds like a nice project if I get a chance to warm up my soldering iron skills and have the funds to replace the headphones in case I mess up.  I would make a similar cable to yours but replace the internal wiring as well.  My question would be what kind of wire would be good for the internals.  I wonder if you can snake the same kind of wire through the arcs above the headband to the right cup.

Which did you settle on? W2534 or W2893

The Belden's capacitance is ~31pf/foot according to their site.  Might be less shielded but I would agree that for short runs it shouldn't be a problem.

I've got the big one, I think is the W2534. I love the Mogami cables I use them for the last 20 years in my music studio, the only problem is not flexible as the AKG stock cable.
The bass go easy to 20hz and even below down to 12-15hz.

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #1,169 of 2,619

Quote:
Still surprised you had any distortion to begin with, I had none and in terms of "burn-in" I have not used for all that long.  Since I just listen to my headphones and don't leave them playing 24/7.  I listen to a lot of bass heavy music, and have done frequency sweeps just to test them out.

What had hapened was there is buzzing in the music that started with the bass... after I listened to it more carefully i realized it was the buzzing with the bass that made it sound distorted..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back