K701 thread
Sep 22, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #1,141 of 2,619
After doing my homework on this board, I pulled the trigger on the K702.
I have no regrets whatsoever. I love the soaring highs and the restrained lows.
That has always been my listening preference, I'm not a major bass fan.
With the right amp and music, they are capable of substantial low end punch.
They fit me like an old pair of shoes in all respects.
I would love to have me some RS-1's and a pair of HD800's,
but I would have to ditch the wife and take out a second mortgage on the house.
Hmmm? Maybe a Blue Hawaii and some Stax on the horizon?......

Nah, not until I win the lottery - ha-ha.
I'm so content with my poor man's n00bie setup. They are keepers!

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #1,142 of 2,619

Quote:
After doing my homework on this board, I pulled the trigger on the K702.
I have no regrets whatsoever. I love the soaring highs and the restrained lows.
That has always been my listening preference, I'm not a major bass fan.
With the right amp and music, they are capable of substantial low end punch.
They fit me like an old pair of shoes in all respects.
I would love to have me some RS-1's and a pair of HD800's,
but I would have to ditch the wife and take out a second mortgage on the house.
Hmmm? Maybe a Blue Hawaii and some Stax on the horizon?......

Nah, not until I win the lottery - ha-ha.
I'm so content with my poor man's n00bie setup. They are keepers!

The K701's are by no means a "poor man's noobie setup", you can find certain threads that compare the T1 and the K701's, many users have said they prefer the sound of the K701 over the T1. Whether that is actually a fact does not matter, the idea of a 250 dollar headphone hanging in there with the giants is good enough proof that this is a serious piece of gear. Some people bash it, but analytically they are great, and you have to look into the realms of the K1000, HD800, Qualia and the ATH-W5000 etc... to beat the K701's at it's strengths and that is high up the order in the heirachy of headphones. The K701 is for real, so strap down and enjoy what they have to offer and ditch the wife and take out a second mortgage if you want to beat em! 
wink.gif
 enjoy,

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #1,143 of 2,619
^^^

Sorry, but as nice the K701s are they are not on par with the T1s. I still own the T1s (and will for a very long time) and did own the K701s along side for about a month, and when properly amp'd the T1s are the better headphone. The bass is more impactful, the mids are lush and forward and the treble isn't metallic (which the K701s can be at times). Then there's the issue of the male voice with the K701s that just drive me nuts.

I think Uncle Erik put it best when he compared the vocals on the K701s to being as real as cheese in a can.

The sound stage with the K701s is wider Left to Right, but there is very little front to back (which the T1s do very well). Let me put it this way, the T1s right now (although subject to change with more listening time to my LCD-2s) are the best headphone I've every heard/owned. They just do everything very well with no real weaknesses that I can find (except maybe the price).

But the HD650/600, DT880/600, and K701s are by no means starter headphones.

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #1,144 of 2,619

Quote:
^^^

Sorry, but as nice the K701s are they are not on par with the T1s. I still own the T1s (and will for a very long time) and did own the K701s along side for about a month, and when properly amp'd the T1s are the better headphone. The bass is more impactful, the mids are lush and forward and the treble isn't metallic (which the K701s can be at times). Then there's the issue of the male voice with the K701s that just drive me nuts.

I think Uncle Erik put it best when he compared the vocals on the K701s to being as real as cheese in a can.

The sound stage with the K701s is wider Left to Right, but there is very little front to back (which the T1s do very well). Let me put it this way, the T1s right now (although subject to change with more listening time to my LCD-2s) are the best headphone I've every heard/owned. They just do everything very well with no real weaknesses that I can find (except maybe the price).

But the HD650/600, DT880/600, and K701s are by no means starter headphones.

I did not say in my post that the K701's were on par with the T1's, I said some did "prefer" the 701's. I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, and not mentioning some users on here, did specifically say they enjoyed the 701's more. I was merely pointing out it's good value for the money. As for vocals, yes I agree they are not the best, far from it, also they can sound metallic and lifeless at times but what they do get right are the airy highs, with good transparency and detail. In this regard they are excellent, IMO only the headphones I mentioned come close in those sonic criteria's. I have no doubt the T1 is the overall superior headphone, but when preference of sound comes in, maybe those things the 701's do get right hits the spot for the listener, hence they "prefer" the 701's. Cheers,

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #1,145 of 2,619
I thought this was the "K701 appreciation thread", not the "Let's harp on how much better $1200.-1400. cans must be than K701's" thread?

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #1,147 of 2,619
Don't underestimate the K7001's. The better the amp the better they perform.

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #1,148 of 2,619
To those that claim that the 701/2s are over-rated I ask: how can the sound of these for $275 US be over-rated???

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #1,149 of 2,619

Quote:
To those that claim that the 701/2s are over-rated I ask: how can the sound of these for $275 US be over-rated???

Totally agree. For the price, they are incredible. I have moved on to higher end gear along the way of my audiophile journey, but the K701 still remains the best bang for the buck out there and will always remain in my possession.

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #1,150 of 2,619

Quote:

Totally agree. For the price, they are incredible. I have moved on to higher end gear along the way of my audiophile journey, but the K701 still remains the best bang for the buck out there and will always remain in my possession.

X2

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #1,152 of 2,619
I just hit near the 500 hour mark of the "burn in" and the heavy bass distortion is gone... but man the store I ordered them from had such great customer service they said they would exchange them if I wasn't completely satisfied! and it's been almost a month I had them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #1,155 of 2,619
Still surprised you had any distortion to begin with, I had none and in terms of "burn-in" I have not used for all that long.  Since I just listen to my headphones and don't leave them playing 24/7.  I listen to a lot of bass heavy music, and have done frequency sweeps just to test them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back