K701 thread
Sep 21, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #1,126 of 2,619

Quote:
it's not really static but sounds a bit distorted when there is really deep bass for example if you YouTube "park bom - you and I forever" it's the first hit of bass that hits like 10-20 seconds into the song the rest of the song. Given that one part rattle my trunk and rear dash area in my car but the rest of the song is fine.
So even in my car it hits really hard... If anyone is willing to try listening to the song on YouTube and give me feedback.. It distorts on my k701 on YouTube, mp3 and flac files..

2NE1 fan? 
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I don't have the K701 any more and don't have the Sparrow, but I just listened to the song and there's no distortion on deep bass on my HD800/WA6SE... if this helps any.  Don't think it's in the song and I think YG studios master their songs pretty well too (compared to some other K-Pop producing studios... SM for example, ugh, sibilance central)... It may be a problem with the driver, or maybe K701/car stereo has a hard time pushing the bass notes.

Sep 21, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #1,127 of 2,619

Quote:
2NE1 fan? 
biggrin.gif

Anyways, I don't have the K701 any more and don't have the Sparrow, but I just listened to the song and there's no distortion on deep bass on my HD800/WA6SE... if this helps any.  Don't think it's in the song and I think YG studios master their songs pretty well too (compared to some other K-Pop producing studios... SM for example, ugh, sibilance central)... It may be a problem with the driver, or maybe K701/car stereo has a hard time pushing the bass notes.

I mean my car drives the bass so hard it rattles everything in my car.. the car isn't the issue but my M50's sound fine with the song
and I'm not really a 2NE1 fan but more of a Park Bom fan

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #1,129 of 2,619
I have the T1 with me right now...compared to the K701, the T1 is severely overpriced.... I can definitely relate to those members that feel the K701 is better than the T1.  First up, the K701 is clearly more "open" sounding and than the T1 for my tastes.  The sub bass is more extended in the K701 and the midrange breathes...something about the T1 is extremely claustrophobic for an "open" can that costs over 1K...the T1 sounds more like a semi-closed can to me.

The punchy mid bass of the T1 overpowers the sub bass and masks a little off the subbass, the treble of the T1 I find very rolled off.  The sound stage is constricted.  In terms of the big three...the T1 is in no mans land, being flanked by either the HD800 and LCD2 and both these cans can do something that the T1 can not accomplish.  If all I heard was the T1, I'd love it...unfortunately I have heard its closest competitors....and the K701 looms over it very closely

Is it me, or do the K701s not match the HD800 soundstage for size?

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #1,130 of 2,619
hmm... when I tried T1 some weeks ago, I think T1 is a good cans and has better resolution than K701.

K701 is more transparant and natural I think, but T1 is more engaging and smoother, I like how T1 presented the midrange.

Also, after almost a week, looks like my K701 becomes warmer day by day, bass is more pronouced and treble also a bit smoother, looks like I'll keep with my SS amp for a while now I think.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #1,131 of 2,619

Quote:
hmm... when I tried T1 some weeks ago, I think T1 is a good cans and has better resolution than K701.

K701 is more transparant and natural I think, but T1 is more engaging and smoother, I like how T1 presented the midrange.

Also, after almost a week, looks like my K701 becomes warmer day by day, bass is more pronouced and treble also a bit smoother, looks like I'll keep with my SS amp for a while now I think.

At this stage the only technical advantage the T1 holds over the K701 is driver agility.....this is objective and will account for some advantages, everything else is pure subjectivity.

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #1,132 of 2,619

Quote:
I have the T1 with me right now...compared to the K701, the T1 is severely overpriced.... I can definitely relate to those members that feel the K701 is better than the T1.  First up, the K701 is clearly more "open" sounding and than the T1 for my tastes.  The sub bass is more extended in the K701 and the midrange breathes...something about the T1 is extremely claustrophobic for an "open" can that costs over 1K...the T1 sounds more like a semi-closed can to me.

The punchy mid bass of the T1 overpowers the sub bass and intrudes a little, the treble of the T1 I find very rolled off.  The sound stage is constricted.

if I'm not wrong, the T1 is semi-closed/open; it was never purely a fully "open".

Sep 22, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #1,134 of 2,619
Just to be clear, this HD800 I have with me does not have a stock cable and on my system sounds nothing like the HD800 I auditioned on three separate occasions, where before I preferred the K701, now this HD800 is clearly to my taste more so.  But I'm not convinced the T1 is worth its price and I can't say for sure at the moment if I prefer the T1 or K701.  The K701 definitely has a bigger soundstage and a more open sound that breaths more, it sounds more airier to my ears.

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #1,135 of 2,619

Quote:

The punchy mid bass of the T1 overpowers the sub bass and masks a little off the subbass, the treble of the T1 I find very rolled off.  The sound stage is constricted.  In terms of the big three...the T1 is in no mans land, being flanked by either the HD800 and LCD2 and both these cans can do something that the T1 can not accomplish.  If all I heard was the T1, I'd love it...unfortunately I have heard its closest competitors....and the K701 looms over it very closely

Is it me, or do the K701s not match the HD800 soundstage for size?

Someone is going to tell you that you're using the wrong amp for T1 and/or something is wrong with your hearing

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #1,136 of 2,619
When I have the money I plan on buying HD800's just to try them out at the very least.  My real question about them though is how does the angled driver change the sound(not so much change to the sound signature), based on what I read its supposed to mimic a speaker much more than standard headphones but how does it succeed in that. 

Considering I like Beyer I first had my eyes on the T1 even before I got the K702.  The more I read about them though the less impressed I was, but the more I read about the Hd800's the more interested I became which eventually lead me to the AKG 70x series, considering the price on them at J&R(Price matched from $300 to $250) it was a cheap experiment especially if it was the most similar to the HD800's

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #1,137 of 2,619
How right you were LOL!

Quote:

Someone is going to tell you that you're using the wrong amp for T1 and/or something is wrong with your hearing

A lot of people enjoy the T1 over the K701 - the bass is punchier and tighter for one.  Very much worth auditioning if you can.

Quote:
When I have the money I plan on buying HD800's just to try them out at the very least.  My real question about them though is how does the angled driver change the sound(not so much change to the sound signature), based on what I read its supposed to mimic a speaker much more than standard headphones but how does it succeed in that. 

Considering I like Beyer I first had my eyes on the T1 even before I got the K702.  The more I read about them though the less impressed I was, but the more I read about the Hd800's the more interested I became which eventually lead me to the AKG 70x series, considering the price on them at J&R(Price matched from $300 to $250) it was a cheap experiment especially if it was the most similar to the HD800's

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #1,140 of 2,619

Quote:
Are there better headphones than the 70xs? Oh yes.

For the price of $250, subjectively no.

IMO

Yeah pretty amazing that the K701 is even in the same conversation as the T1 / HD800, which cost 3 - 4 times as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back