K701 thread
Sep 20, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #1,112 of 2,619
Sep 20, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #1,113 of 2,619
If your willing to go Solid State the Matrix M-Stage is said to have synergy with the K-701/2's.  Personally I couldn't say since I don't have much experience with different HPA's.

It goes for ~$280, I got mines for $250 on sale.  Which is the reason why I jumped on it when I did rather than waiting it out.

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #1,114 of 2,619

Quote:
I'm with Komebudu, how exactly did you manage this? Did you thrown a trillion resistors in there, or maybe a transformer? (I'm no EE or DIYer, so enlighten me)

Snipped up a headphone extension lead and connected the plug to the headphone plug and the bare wires straight to the speaker taps.  I didn't dare go past 10 o'clock on the volume knob though...with the success I had I think I'll purchase a good breakout box with good resistors for this purpose.  It was initially an experiment for the LCD2s - while I was there, I thought I'd try the K701s - just make real sure the volume is at min before connecting up.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #1,115 of 2,619

Quote:
Q701 series lol

New model, not hardly, I was worried that he meant that... 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Snipped up a headphone extension lead and connected the plug to the headphone plug and the bare wires straight to the speaker taps.  I didn't dare go past 10 o'clock on the volume knob though...with the success I had I think I'll purchase a good breakout box with good resistors for this purpose.  It was initially an experiment for the LCD2s - while I was there, I thought I'd try the K701s - just make real sure the volume is at min before connecting up.

Interesting, I don't ever go past 10 on my GLite, but we all do know that the K701s are current monsters, so I guess that it makes sense. Very cool, man.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #1,116 of 2,619

Quote:
If your willing to go Solid State the Matrix M-Stage is said to have synergy with the K-701/2's.  Personally I couldn't say since I don't have much experience with different HPA's.

It goes for ~$280, I got mines for $250 on sale.  Which is the reason why I jumped on it when I did rather than waiting it out.

I'm using Linearossa K3 now, which is I think more refined than M-Stage (never A/B directly, only using my memory, the K3 is smoother, while M-stage is more powerfull)

I just curious what K701 will sounds like with tube amp. For now I just see EF5 and Schiit, unfortunetely I never can test them.

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #1,117 of 2,619

http://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_a1
That is a tube option as well(gives you a power amp as well which could still come in handy if you didn't like the unit for headphones)~ Doesn't look pretty but is cheaper than the EF5 which looks as if the jewelry is half the costs of the unit itself.  The Bravo amp's are another option as well, not sure how powerful they are though.

On the flip if your Linearossa K3 has a swappable opamp socket and depending on how you feel about them you can find opamps which provide the same/similar distortion of a tube.  The Audio-GD Earth HDAM is said to sound "tube" like.
Quote:

I'm using Linearossa K3 now, which is I think more refined than M-Stage (never A/B directly, only using my memory, the K3 is smoother, while M-stage is more powerfull)

I just curious what K701 will sounds like with tube amp. For now I just see EF5 and Schiit, unfortunetely I never can test them.

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #1,119 of 2,619
Updated my top post which you might be interested in reading what I added.  Also don't get too caught up with price~ It'll hurt your perception greatly.

The Tube MAgic D1 is tube pre-out only, but the A1 is a pure Tube Amp.

Quote:
We know how much you love the sound from a pure tube headphone amplifier. A1 uses two matched NOS 6J1 tube / vintage NOS 6AK5 (optional) tube to drive the headphone output. It has tons of power to drive any kind of headphones on the planet

Quote:
I've tried the Mav D1, the tube is only for pre-amp, if you using the headphone out, then no tube will work.

umm Bravo... well, i never test them too... but the price is amazing cheap compare to EF5

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #1,120 of 2,619

Quote:
Updated my top post which you might be interested in reading what I added.  Also don't get too caught up with price~ It'll hurt your perception greatly.

The Tube MAgic D1 is tube pre-out only, but the A1 is a pure Tube Amp.

haha yeah price sometimes means nothing (like what I wrote, when I compare K701 to other more expensive cans)

my local store has bravo, so I think I can try them later.

A1 looks interesting now, well I'll read more about it.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #1,121 of 2,619
My Bravo v2 has no problem driving a pair of K702s, I usually have the volume at around 9 o'clock.  If you get a Bravo do yourself a favor and read the threads here and on rock grotto about them.  There are several cheap diy mods that make a major improvement in the sq, and good cheap tubes for rolling.

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #1,123 of 2,619
I agree that the Indeed/Bravo hybrid amps are a good match with the K701 
k701smile.gif

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #1,124 of 2,619

Perhaps the first part is wrong, but the second part could be some vibration close to the driver.  If you have warranty on them I would suggest just exchanging them rather than opening them up.  I personally have no static on mines.

it's not really static but sounds a bit distorted when there is really deep bass for example if you YouTube "park bom - you and I forever" it's the first hit of bass that hits like 10-20 seconds into the song the rest of the song. Given that one part rattle my trunk and rear dash area in my car but the rest of the song is fine.
So even in my car it hits really hard... If anyone is willing to try listening to the song on YouTube and give me feedback.. It distorts on my k701 on YouTube, mp3 and flac files..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back