K701 thread
Aug 10, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #976 of 2,619
For those who go to discos (nightclubs, I am showing my age!) bass means BASS thudding through the whole body, the whole building even. Thats not bass thats an aural battering which I have never understood the point of. I prefer my local with its little Sony midi system at a volume where it is clear and you do not need to shout at each other. They would like the AKGs at my local.

Aug 10, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #977 of 2,619
Giving my ears some Prodigy treatment with 'Invaders Must Die'. I blow very hot and cold over my K701s, and currently am blowing rather hot! The some of the stuff on this album is prettly layered and complex, and the K701s seem to have the music utterly nailed.

*glee*

Aug 10, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #978 of 2,619
I received a used meier headfive a couple weeks ago and have been enjoying the 701s a lot. Much better than what I was expecting.

Can I expect a large improvement with something like a meier concerto or a mapletree? Also if anyone has had both or a decware csp2, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Aug 10, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #979 of 2,619

Quote:
I received a used meier headfive a couple weeks ago and have been enjoying the 701s a lot. Much better than what I was expecting.

Can I expect a large improvement with something like a meier concerto or a mapletree? Also if anyone has had both or a decware csp2, I would appreciate your thoughts.

I would not recommend the Mapletree (as great amps they are with all of my other headphones), I did not think they (or any tube amp I tried) were an ideal pairing with the K701s. I would stick with SS amps with these cans.

Aug 12, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #980 of 2,619
Just received my K701's from UPS today! Beautiful looking headphone.

I listened to them out of the box for about 1/2 hour. Not quite as balanced as my AD700's yet, but already more detail.

The ear pads are a bit stiff, but I'm sure they will soften up after extended wear.

I got the 8 bump headband version, which this version also has the changed AKG logo on the side.

They are currently being "burned in" right now and I hope to hear some improvements in a few days.

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #981 of 2,619

Quote:
I would not recommend the Mapletree (as great amps they are with all of my other headphones), I did not think they (or any tube amp I tried) were an ideal pairing with the K701s. I would stick with SS amps with these cans.

Based on my experience with these at meets, the k701 just does not go well with an OTL design. It sounded just fine on SET amps, but on the Bottlehead Crack and Woo 3, it sounded grainy and abysmal. I'm no DIYer or electrical engineer, but perhaps OTL designs don't provide enough current. 

On an unrelated note, I will be very pleased to have the k701s join my rig on Saturday, I look forward to it very much.

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #984 of 2,619

Quote:
Based on my experience with these at meets, the k701 just does not go well with an OTL design. It sounded just fine on SET amps, but on the Bottlehead Crack and Woo 3, it sounded grainy and abysmal. I'm no DIYer or electrical engineer, but perhaps OTL designs don't provide enough current. 

On an unrelated note, I will be very pleased to have the k701s join my rig on Saturday, I look forward to it very much.

Everytime I boot up the MingDa tube amp with output transformers, I can't resist plugging in the K701 to have a listen - These two combinations make my K701's sound the best that I can make it sound.  It manages to wipe away that uppermidrange glare and give fantastic body to the K701 mids.  Right now I am listening to this combination with an Ipod LOD on shuffle - don't even need to spend much on source with this combo.

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #985 of 2,619

Quote:
Everytime I boot up the MingDa tube amp with output transformers, I can't resist plugging in the K701 to have a listen - These two combinations make my K701's sound the best that I can make it sound.  It manages to wipe away that uppermidrange glare and give fantastic body to the K701 mids.  Right now I am listening to this combination with an Ipod LOD on shuffle - don't even need to spend much on source with this combo.

If you are able to get that WA22, you might like that K701 even better balanced.

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #986 of 2,619

Quote:
If you are able to get that WA22, you might like that K701 even better balanced.

Hmmmm....whatcha tryna say?  US and Aus voltages are different....but boy I am so tempted.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #987 of 2,619

Quote:
Hmmmm....whatcha tryna say?  US and Aus voltages are different....but boy I am so tempted.
bigsmile_face.gif

If anyone can adjust their power you can, I just saw your setup!
edit: WA22 Voltage: AC 110/220V, 50/60 Hz
Nice review btw, glad you're really liking the LCD-2
L3000.gif

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #989 of 2,619

Quote:
Ha, did you try the Phonitor?

Oh boy did I take a long hard look at the Phonitor,  the black audiophile unit is hands down the most serious looking amp ever - as a believer of crossfeed, I think it's an awesome product.  What let me down is that they say it has a high output impedance and may not drive my Denon 27ohms well...or perhaps they might falter with the LCD2s 50ohm...not sure.  Its pricey in Australia, $2800, not cheap - but if it hold itself well against a B22 I'm all ears.  Things should only be 10 percent dearer than in the US, as the dollar values are only 10 percent different - I hate this crap, right here.

Aug 20, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #990 of 2,619

Quote:

SPW,

What tube are you using on your MingDa? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back