K701 thread
Jul 27, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #917 of 2,619
Got my 701s a couple weeks ago from elusivedisc.com for around 250. Very very nice headphones, neutral with a bit of tendency to being bright. Source is either a nad 521bee or a squeezebox, on their analog outs or through a monica dac. Love them with good recordings, but two revealing with compressed music or fm radio.

On the other hand they are not properly amped now... A rolls 4556ad based amp that came "free" with a set of westone um2s i got a couple years ago. Funny thing is that it sounds many times better than a couple pioneer and yamaha receivers from the 70s that i tried.

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #918 of 2,619

Quote:
Got my 701s a couple weeks ago from elusivedisc.com for around 250. Very very nice headphones, neutral with a bit of tendency to being bright. Source is either a nad 521bee or a squeezebox, on their analog outs or through a monica dac. Love them with good recordings, but two revealing with compressed music or fm radio.

On the other hand they are not properly amped now... A rolls 4556ad based amp that came "free" with a set of westone um2s i got a couple years ago. Funny thing is that it sounds many times better than a couple pioneer and yamaha receivers from the 70s that i tried.

They sound so much better with proper amplication. Before I was using an ALO Rx to power mine and although I liked it; the sound quality is so much better coming out of my PB1. 

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #919 of 2,619

Quote:
 Love them with good recordings, but two revealing with compressed music or fm radio.

Know you know the real meaning of compressed music.

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #920 of 2,619

Quote:
I found this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/228407/headphone-stands and seems most people use hanging stands. So why does the 701 come with a cradle, is it in some way better for resting the headphone?

I usually prefer hanging stands for my headphones, very convenient, but for the K701 I prefer to use the cradle.

The reason is that the leather headband expands and contracts through the use of some nylon cords. If I hang the headband on a hanging stand, these will force the nylon to be always stretched. I rather keep them as un-stretched as possible to prolong the life of the headband.

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #921 of 2,619

Quote:
I usually prefer hanging stands for my headphones, very convenient, but for the K701 I prefer to use the cradle.

The reason is that the leather headband expands and contracts through the use of some nylon cords. If I hang the headband on a hanging stand, these will force the nylon to be always stretched. I rather keep them as un-stretched as possible to prolong the life of the headband.

I prefer the cord the becoming unstreched ASAP since I have a big head.XD
k701smile.gif

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #922 of 2,619
Well, different strokes. 
k701smile.gif

Jul 28, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #923 of 2,619

Quote:

I now use the clamp that came with my HD 595, which can be attached to a desk, and hang it from the brackets. The headband design has the advantage that you don't have to adjust the headphones when you put them on, but does limit the stands you can use with them.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #926 of 2,619
I so close to getting some AkG 702, i hate that feeling when you want something so bad you cant wait to buy it. then the days slows down,gonna put the order in next month since i see it for good prices. Let me guess i gonna have to burn it in for like 200-300 hours or so. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #927 of 2,619
Is the PB1 enough to power 701/702, or have you just settled for it? :)
It seems like a nice amp

Quote:
They sound so much better with proper amplication. Before I was using an ALO Rx to power mine and although I liked it; the sound quality is so much better coming out of my PB1. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #928 of 2,619

Quote:
Is the PB1 enough to power 701/702, or have you just settled for it? :)
It seems like a nice amp

Oh it powers them quite nicely. Noticeable jump in SQ, soundstage, detail, everything across the board coming from an ALO Rx. Right now I have about 5 hours on the amp (I don't think I'm going to burn it in overnight) and I love it. The K702s have a little over 100 hours on them as well. 

When I first got the K7-2s from the Rx, I liked the sound but from time to time I would feel like the sound is coming from one spot and have always longed for the sound to come from "everywhere" like it does in real life; even if it's in front of you, you get the sense that you can hear all around you... if that makes any sense. With the PB1 it's a big step in that direction :)

Source is FLAC files from the LO on the s:flo2/T51.

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #929 of 2,619

Quote:
Instead of hanging on the leather, why not hang on the wire frame?

That's what I do when I hang them. It's not optimal because the leather is in the way, but it can be done. IT doesn't work on all stands, like the ones from Woo Audio. Generally I am happier just putting it in the stand.

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #930 of 2,619
Among those people who didn't like the k701, is there anyone who tried them with tube amps? Did you start liking them with a tube amp instead of a SS amp?
Has any of you tried them specifically with the bravo/indeed G2 amp? They're very cheap on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back