K701 thread
May 13, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #661 of 2,619
Have you considered just sandwhiching a strip of foam between the headband and your head when you wear them without physically attaching it?

Might be a best of both worlds solution?

I agree about the complimenting sound of the HD650 and K702. My thinking before I bought the K702 was that both are open circum aural phones so it would be overkill to keep each. But HD650 is all about relaxation and smooth presentation, while the K702 is all about exhilaration and clean, analyitcal presentation. I'm starting to think maybe I need both.

The problem is where the funds will come from now for a portable amp (I used the funds ear marked for an Arrow on these as they aren't available for a while)... Well I bought all the gear needed to make a DIY C-Moy a while back and never got around to it, maybe it's time for that to come back to the fore ground.

May 13, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #662 of 2,619

Quote:
Have you considered just sandwhiching a strip of foam between the headband and your head when you wear them without physically attaching it?

Might be a best of both worlds solution?

Yes.  This seems like a reasonable idea, but it's fiddly for me under the circumstances.  If these K702's are to realistically have a lot of future head time, I'll have to mod them in some way.

May 13, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #663 of 2,619
I would think maybe even putting something like a skull cap on when wearing the 702's would help (under them of course).

I have no problem with the bumps personally, I don't even know they are there. I have pretty thick hair though.

May 13, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #664 of 2,619
A skull-cap... now that's interesting.. 
cool.gif

May 27, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #666 of 2,619
Any one else here having terrible comfort issues with K701? I have a big head and these are clamping my jaw under my ears. Can I do something to get these working better for me? My other phones are Grados and I've never hard any trouble wearing them for hours. But these cans are uncomfortable from the first notes. 

May 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #667 of 2,619
I know what you mean about pressure on the top of the jaw and my head is not huge. I find that I have to get used to it again after having worn my other cans for a while. I don't know of a solution as I do not think you can stretch the headband.

May 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #668 of 2,619
I don't think there is much you can do about the clamping part, since the headband arc is not bendable like how some of the AT bands are.  The pads are quite big in diametre and you may have problems with them clamping at your jaws a bit, especially if you have TMJ or something like that.  Pads may get softer with use also so it may become better, but if not, you'll have to either get used to it or get something supra-aural instead.

May 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #669 of 2,619
Could I mod the pads and put something softer in them or would that ruin the sound. I really like the sound of these phones for classical and acoustic jazz so I find these phones to be a keeper if I got the comfort issues resolved.

May 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #670 of 2,619
Change in material of pads usually have a huge effect on the overall SQ balance with any headphones, for either better or for worse.  But from seeing how the K701/702 pads are designed (there is a locking plastic mechanism covering the back area), I don't think there is anything you can do to mod them except to cut open the pads and resew them together or something.

May 27, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #671 of 2,619
maybe your pads arent installed correctly? the thicker side should be directing back.

if its not the issue try turning them so you'll find the comfortabe position (i dont know if its affect sound though)

May 27, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #672 of 2,619
The default configuration (as you stated, with the thick part being at the back) was made so that it mimics angling of the drivers, which gives your ears perception of better soundstage.  When I had the K701 I experimented with various pad positions and they all do impact the SQ in different ways.  I eventually reverted back to the stock configuration though.

May 27, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #674 of 2,619

Quote:
Any one else here having terrible comfort issues with K701? I have a big head and these are clamping my jaw under my ears. Can I do something to get these working better for me? My other phones are Grados and I've never hard any trouble wearing them for hours. But these cans are uncomfortable from the first notes. 

Wow sorry to hear that, for me it's the exact opposite. I can wear my 702's forever (literally sometimes 8 to 10 hours a day) and never have a problem; my 225i's always hurt my ears, even after I bent the frames and made the pressure a lot less it still got to me after 2 or 3 hours at the most and the contrast with the 702's is such that I don't like to wear them much at all (not to mention I like the 702's sound wise so much more).

May 27, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #675 of 2,619
I found flipping the pads to the 'wrong' way up has helped the comfort issues I was having no end, I have the bigger bit on the bottom now instead of the top. Sadly my head is on the maximum stretch of the headband system :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back