K701 thread
Jun 29, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #31 of 2,619
Neutral, clean, fast - Exactly why I plan to buy a pair very, very soon.

I've never been a can man (always preferred the visceral impact of speakers) but the brief session I've had with the 701s really left an impression on me. I can safely say that they are the only headphones I've ever enjoyed (I love IEMs, however) - and the pair I listened to were fresh out of the box!

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #33 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neutral, clean, fast

That's why I got them. They are a comparable dynamic can to e-stats.

Jun 29, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #34 of 2,619
They have my number 1 vote.

I found them a bit 'plain' when being driven by my M³, and became enamoured with the D2000. After building my Bijou amp, the K701 have once again stepped up to the mark. As already mentioned, they tend to just get out of the way of the music - and I find them comfortable.

Very nice.

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #35 of 2,619
I am thinking about getting some K701's... so maybe you're the folks to ask this question:

Benchmark DAC1, or Lavry DA10... will those DACs (both of which have headphone outs) drive the K701's properly (ie, is there synergy)?

Otherwise it looks like Bijou (DIY) or Darkvoice? Which Darkvoice?

I'm considering vs the Senn 600 or 650.

Thanks!

Jul 1, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #36 of 2,619
Where can I find another one of those plastic terminations, so that I can insert a cable on the other side too when I recable?

DSC_0912.jpg

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #37 of 2,619
Just got my own pair. I have heard em before and didn't like them, bad amp I guess. I love them now out of my LD MKIVse tube amp!! So much detail and texture, its crazy! I have heard alot of comments about it being lifeless and boring, but I don't hear such things. I love it especially for classical / choir, just amazing.

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #38 of 2,619
Cool!are they better than the sextett's and the k-601's?
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my own pair. I have heard em before and didn't like them, bad amp I guess. I love them now out of my LD MKIVse tube amp!! So much detail and texture, its crazy! I have heard alot of comments about it being lifeless and boring, but I don't hear such things. I love it especially for classical / choir, just amazing.

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #40 of 2,619
I know this is supposed to be an appreciation thread and I love how they sound. But for a $450 headphone they seem to be constructed rather cheaply. One of little clear plastic bits on on the band cracked in half. And know my left channel keeps cutting out on me. I've only had the things for a little more than 6 months and I've been very careful with them. I'm not sure how I should go about fixing it. Has anyone ever dealt with the AKG service centers?

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #41 of 2,619
I just bought a 3 year old pair on ebay. Don't scare me like that, man!

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #42 of 2,619
I bought mine second-handed and its in perfect condition, is not a heapdhone that is like known for bad construction or anything. I think its actually constructed pretty well, just as the K601. I do like it better than my K601, but I preferred my K601 with lesser amps. Thats why I was abit surprised, but the K701 really scales up well!! The sextett is a very different sound, and I will never sell that one. It has to me indeed a very magical mid-range, and alot of bass without taking any treble headroom. The sextett and K701 can't really be compared imo, to different. I changed my K601 for a K701 and gonna change my Bose Triport AO for a Stax SRX/MKIII, a nice rig upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #43 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a 3 year old pair on ebay. Don't scare me like that, man!

Yeah? How much did you pay for them? Another guy on here said his left side went out on him, and like a couple of hours after I read that, mine started to do the same thing. I couldn't believe it. If they're three years old and still work fine then I'm sure you'll be okay. I think Hans in the QC department must've been napping or something when mine went through the line. Or maybe I am just too abusive to my phone's. My SR-80's also cut in and out. I tend to get the cord snagged on like every possible thing imaginable.

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #45 of 2,619
For classical these headphones are imo unmatched! Are there any more K701's users here that drive it with a LD MKIVse? If I plug it in my receiver or zero dac/amp, I get that cold/boring sound and actually prefer the K601 to it, but if I plug it in my MKIVse, the K701 is miles ahead. Wonderfull!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back