K701 thread
Jun 1, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #2,416 of 2,619
What's the best midcentric amp for the 701 within a 200-230 dollar budget?

I'm actually thinking of getting M-stage, I've done some research already and read stuff in the amp's thread, but so far haven't gotten a good description of what its mids are like with the K701.

What do you mean by midcentric?

I usually recommend the M-Stage for K701/2in this price range (I own K702). As you've noticed, quite a few of us think the two make a very good combo. The mids are sweet, a bit warm tonally, relatively resolving and detailed.

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #2,417 of 2,619
What do you mean by midcentric?

I usually recommend the M-Stage for K701/2in this price range (I own K702). As you've noticed, quite a few of us think the two make a very good combo. The mids are sweet, a bit warm tonally, relatively resolving and detailed.

But 'midcentric' i mean something that brings out the midrange more than the highs or bass. Kinda like the RSA Mustang.

Thanks for the description of the M-stage. It's currently my top priority, but there might be some other good choices within the price range. Because the Mustang is too far above my budget.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #2,418 of 2,619
Well, I brought the K701 back in my stable! I just felt that it was the best looking out of the K7 bunch and kind of missed its more analytical tone of the earlier models. The one I got is in the serial # 10000's so circa 2008 pair which is probably considered the early model. The unit itself is in fine shape but te removable parts needs some touching up very badly... The headband elastic is completely shot and the pads have really flattened out... I think I may send it over to AKG to replace the headband with the newer flat one while at it, then it's be just golden in the end, the ultimate K701, Made in Austria with flat headband :)

Not sure if the K702 and K701 will be able to coexist in my stable but I guess I'll see how it goes... They do sound different to me, even when both have the same unflattened pads, and I'm not sure which I prefer yet (my K702 is definitely warmer than this 701 IMO).

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #2,419 of 2,619
After reading some thread I'm starting to wonder if the K701 I recently bought from here is fake or not. It certainly didn't sound too much different than what I remembered when I bought a pair new around 2010. But this new pair I bought (serial 23682) has L/R on the bottom closer to the cups and the AKG logo (without the clover) on the headband. I have literally never seen that on any image of K701 online...

Did I get duped or was there a short run with my logo/LR indicator setup?

Edit

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #2,420 of 2,619
 I have had my beloved k701 for some time. I love how comfortable and light they are which makes long term listening sessions very rewarding.
I am sure others have found the k701s like my Austrian made phones to be excellent. But it does take time and patience until you are rewarded by very neutral and spacious sound. They are analytical sounding for at least a couple of hundred hours but once they smooth out they sound extremely good.
   I had a mishap earlier this year tripping over the attached cord. Unfortunately I lost sound. Well I loved my k701 and sorely missed their sound. So I purchased a new 1/4 inch plug specifically the excellent FURUTECH fp704 stereo plug. I took it to a local repair shop and they reterminated the stock cord with the furutech stereo plug. I picked up the phones today and plugged them in to give them a listen. Wow the difference was quite noticeable. The sense of space seems to be enhanced the midrange is now more vivid and the bass and dynamics also took a noticeable step for the better.
   If anyone has the k701 with the captive cord you might consider having the standard stereo plug replaced with the furutech fp704 stereo plug.
Believe me you will be glad you did the resultant change is definitely worth the effort.

Jun 12, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #2,421 of 2,619
  After reading some thread I'm starting to wonder if the K701 I recently bought from here is fake or not. It certainly didn't sound too much different than what I remembered when I bought a pair new around 2010. But this new pair I bought (serial 23682) has L/R on the bottom closer to the cups and the AKG logo (without the clover) on the headband. I have literally never seen that on any image of K701 online...

Edit

On my Austrian  k701 the AKG brand is on the  bottom of the metal band  and the left right indication is on top of the metal band.

Jun 12, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #2,422 of 2,619

Edit

AKG seems to sometimes have production hiccup with this kind of thing once in a while, I remember there was a poster here couple years ago that had the L/R indicators reversed on the headband (L button on right side, visa versa). 

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #2,426 of 2,619
  Why is the K701 so much more expensive than the K702 on Amazon right now?

Maybe the K701's are the "made in austria" version, and the 702's are from the newer batch manufactured in china ?

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #2,428 of 2,619
//If anyone is interested, I've got my k701s listed for sale. Mine are made in Austria, have a very comfortable k501 bumpless headband, k702 earpads and sound fantastic.//

They're sold 

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #2,429 of 2,619
Does anyone know if the newer generation made in China K701/702 have 3db bass boost like k702 Annie or k712 pro? I am considering getting back a pair of K701 but I prefer no bass boost just like those early Austrian made ones. I found early made K702 Annie a little congested but some say later production K702 Annie, K7XX and K712 have 3db bass boost but more airy than early made K702 Annie. If that is the case, I'm fine with that.

If anyone has heard them please comment. Thanks.

Jul 29, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #2,430 of 2,619

Akg k701 w bumpless mod ftw !

IMG_4194.jpg

Hi guys, I know its old post but... you can to try to take off bottom grey layer of headband (it started to glue-off on mine) and remove those cushions then glue it again. it will look less terrible:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back