K701 thread
Jan 28, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #481 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasahara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unamped though? =[

These callings are vague and lack definition. The definition is provided here in this forum. May I add another one.... not only amp'ing takes these phones a long way, but recabling also does. The stock cable is not too good. It's like the good vs the excellent amp. The one with the good amp is enjoying but doesn't quite know what's being missed.
smily_headphones1.gif

The SRX Cryo cable by ALO Audio is nicely compatible. I can't speak for the others like the Cardas and Equinox. After switching back to the stock as an experiment, I really have to shake my head at the 'cables don't make a difference' discussions. It's all from lack of personal experience.... nothing more. I can say that now for sure. I did change my HD650 cables to a Cardas and was underwhelmed. I really wasn't quite sure if there was a difference, and based on that experience, all but fell in the trap of making a generalisation, assuming that cables will make only minimal differences, if any. Think again! haha....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #482 of 2,619
Sorry, but cant resist in helping out.

Though its an old question, but it seems to be un-answered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, guys, is it true that recabling the k701 can make it easier to drive? Even to the point that is much easier to drive?

Some guy selling his recabled k701 said so.

The stock k701 only has cables exiting the left side right ?
The cables are then connect to the right driver via the bands above your head.
This kind of configuration is the main reason why the akg k70x is so hard to drive, even though their impedance is low.

So by recabling, I presume he means to have cables exiting both cups, left and right.
Which means there would be hard wiring cables to the driver directly, avoiding the stock cans' configuration, making it fit its original spec's of its impedance level, making it easier to drive
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this helps.

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #483 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So by recabling, I presume he means to have cables exiting both cups, left and right.
Which means there would be hard wiring cables to the driver directly, avoiding the stock cans' configuration, making it fit its original spec's of its impedance level, making it easier to drive
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this helps.

Easier to drive may well be only from the POV of volume. Even with the K702's recable that I have here, where there isn't a direct wiring of each driver, the difference in volume from one cable to the other is very distinct. So I'd say that, at a minimum, you'd be able to get more volume out of them, making them easier to drive. Whether this translates to greater ease at producing the sort of dynamic sound that they are capable of is another thing. The need for very good amp'ing remains.... good amp'ing that will provide the sort of transient response and with a lot of juice that's required for great dynamism in the sound production.

It's high volume with a thin compressed sound vs high volume with a full and dynamic sound. Recabling just seems to allow the amp'ing to work better for my K702's, and hence, allows the K702's to better express themselves.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #484 of 2,619
has anyone recabled theirs with mogami? if yes, do you feel if the mogami is an upgrade or a downgrade? also which mogami did you use?

maybe you have a suggestion for better cable that isn't too expensive ($5/ft)?

thank you

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #485 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easier to drive may well be only from the POV of volume. Even with the K702's recable that I have here, where there isn't a direct wiring of each driver, the difference in volume from one cable to the other is very distinct. So I'd say that, at a minimum, you'd be able to get more volume out of them, making them easier to drive. Whether this translates to greater ease at producing the sort of dynamic sound that they are capable of is another thing. The need for very good amp'ing remains.... good amp'ing that will provide the sort of transient response and with a lot of juice that's required for great dynamism in the sound production.

It's high volume with a thin compressed sound vs high volume with a full and dynamic sound. Recabling just seems to allow the amp'ing to work better for my K702's, and hence, allows the K702's to better express themselves.
smily_headphones1.gif

My k702 is with the moon audio black dragon cable haha.
I will need to turn the volume knob lower when using it as compared to the stock cables haha

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #486 of 2,619
Any thoughts on the synergy with the LD mkV solid state amp? or do the k701's sound much better with tubes? I've read that they can sound overly bright... the mkV is a very neutral amp that won't add any warmth but it is plenty powerful, as far as I know. Any feedback on that amp with the 701/2 would be much appreciated.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #487 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My k702 is with the moon audio black dragon cable haha.
I will need to turn the volume knob lower when using it as compared to the stock cables haha

I can't make any comments about your black dragon cable. Haha

However, I know I can make one with my own SRX Cryo cable. Hahahaha

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #488 of 2,619
hahahaha, thanks for the laugh ^

btw, im very happy with the uDAC > sylvania 7308 rolled indeed hybrid > k702 (sweetcome tribraid cable,divia i think).. 400 hours + on the 702's and bout 100 on the rest of the rig. so yea ive had a good listen and its good.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #489 of 2,619
Quote:

Originally Posted by scutzi128 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have also added the Shanling PH-100 amp to my list of possible amps. I heard a lot of people say it pairs very well with the K701s. I also found the Shanling PH-300 which is a hybrid amp. Does anyone have any experience with this amp and the K701s? It looks like an interesting amp and I’m wondering if it would pair better with the 701s then the PH-100. As always feedback is greatly appreciated.

Some more updates, the more I listen the more I believe the PH3000 is doing a fine job on driving these headphones. As I said before I won't be able to say how good of a job it's doing compared to other amps for a few weeks, but I do know this shanling is eons better than my old microstack ('05 version). That microstack couldn't even come close to driving these 702's like this PH3000 does. (I heard the 701/microstack combo a few years back, after a Zana Duex session)

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #490 of 2,619
I'm using my k701 with a Shanling PH3000 right now. Hard to say exactly how well it does it, since I have nothing to compare it with. I have an ultra micro coming in next week, so I'll update when I get that. I'm expecting the ultra micro to be better ($600 vs $330), especially when my DAC is an ultra micro also.

The only "comparison" I can do is that my ultra micro DAC + shanling hybrid amp blows the hell out of any soundcard out there. But the price difference should already tell you that.

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #491 of 2,619
Anybody have any input as to the change in sound with the k701's balanced? I just ordered a LD MKVII+ balanced amp and also reterminated the original cable with a 4 pin XLR? Probably won't get the amp until late next week at the earliest. In the mean time I am enjoying my MKIII.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #492 of 2,619
Okay Ultra micro amp with astrodyne power supply arrived.

Compared with Shanling ph3000, the immediate impression is that sound stage is "fixed". With the Shanling, the first impression is that the sound stage is HUGE. Then you realize that what should be "in front" of you actually ends up 45 degrees "on top" of you. I felt everything was floating on top of my brain, instead of right between my ears. Ultra micro fixes that. Maybe this is a preference thing, but I definitely like things down to earth. Very noticeable if you play first person shooters.

But other than that, the only thing I found was the bass extension is (slightly) better on the Ultra Micro. Not noticeable unless you listen side by side.

I'd have to do more detailed comparisons later. But yeah, the Shanling can definitely drive K701 very well.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #493 of 2,619
are these phones suitable for the following artists:

1. metallica
2. madonna
3. bach
4. taylor swift
5. depeche mode
6. armin van buuren
7. mariah carey
8. diana krall
9. chicago
10. u2
11. prodigy
and many more

I've had a K401 many years ago and these music sounded great.

thank you

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #494 of 2,619
They aren't too bad with Metallica, but I dislike them with the 'And Justice for All'. Their most dynamic recording is their 'Black Album'. Madonna is great with them. Same for Depeche Mode, Diana Krall and U2. Prodigy should be fine though I'm not a Prodigy fan. Mariah Carey should be great since Celine Dione is.
smily_headphones1.gif
Bach... oh yes.

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #495 of 2,619
that selection of music is so bafflingly diverse almost any cans will sound good for some, but not all of it.
Out of the ones on the list, I'd say k701 is best for Bach and Diana Krall - but what we should be discussing is the quality of the recording, not the genre of music, as this is what the k701 will shed light on. Try comparing Mike Oldfield's Islands with Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown. You would think that a newer album would use better recording techniques, but Green Day's album sounds shocking at the hands of k701s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back