K701 thread
Aug 8, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #1,636 of 2,619
I do like the ABS used in the Beyers, but I am turning into a Beyer fanboy. What I don't understand is exactly what's wrong with the AKG K701/etc.'s plastic. Okay, it's not ABS... But it doesn't seem to be exhibiting any extraordinary resonance at monitoring volumes, and ABS isn't problem free in terms of mechanical properties even though it holds up well for acoustic uses. (My studio monitors are moulded ABS, and I was wearing DT-770s as I typed that last post, so don't think I'm anti-ABS!).

I do think in general dampening gets a bit over-recommended, especially in situations like this where I've just begun to really feel out the sound beyond the initial period (which is marked, in my experience, by a combination of honeymoon and skepticism because of the difference THIS thing has over THAT thing that you're more used to, but you also want it to be cool because you spent on it!). Roll-your-own dampening is sort of a tweaker's paradise because you can immediately experience the change in the sound and there's nothing pseudo-anything about it, changing the internal dimensions of the enclosure certainly changes the sound. But I don't know if it's better, personally. I'm just starting to really get into the sound, and, I think, starting to understand where these cans are coming from (so to speak), what they're really trying to do. I feel like I owe the engineers a bit of respect in giving them a fair shake before I go mad scientist on them with improvised adjustments!

Not at all to disparage your activity, by the way, man, you know what you're after and you've experimented long enough to get it how you like. What I'm more curious about is what's wrong with the construction. I would prefer Magnesium Alloy, but I wouldn't want to pay for it, and I think where it counts the resonance characteristics of the headphones have been well tended to by the AKG design team. They are not a fashionable headphone, they're a bit odd in several ways, but I really like a lot of the decisions they made. E.g. the gigantic earpads - that's bold, makes 'em peculiar to wear, takes some time for them to properly break into your noggin's shape, but once they have, fancy that soundstage! Whereas Beyers are so darn comfy from day one you can wear them as earmuffs in the winter without any sound playing
beyersmile.png

I dunno, I sincerely doubt I'll be modifying them at all, those elastic bits seem like they might require service within the warranty period but then again they may well be excluded as "normal wear and tear." That's the only really poor decision, I think something like a a pulley-tensioned teflon weave string could have done the same job just as unobtrusively without the unfortunately fast wear characteristics of elastic. But as far as the plastic goes, it just doesn't seem low quality to me. I mean, I'll baby them, but that's just how I treat my headphones. Only the Beyer Pro 250ohms get used like they're rugged, 'cause they are. I don't have an inherent mistrust of plastic as a material, in fact I'm rather enamored of different sorts of plastics, so it confuses me a bit when people complain about the plastic on these ones.

But, hey, "I'm new here," so to speak. Maybe I'll find it grating later on. Maybe not. Maybe it'll show some wear that proves me wrong later on, though that I doubt, I don't think anyone could say they are not well-engineered, whatever the materials used, yeah?

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #1,637 of 2,619
You are making far too many assumptions. Yes, people hear the resonances' effect on the sound loud and clear - they color the sound in ways that make it sound unpleasant for some as well as more fatigue from the boosted treble peaks, again due to the resonances. You can read about it all over the forums. Some individuals like to make this well known to all *cough*uncleErik*cough*, and I can't really blame them. I knew right away that the headphone could benefit from dampening since I've tweaked a handful of other headphones before.
I don't think the engineers get paid to care what you do with the headphone.
Lastly, I'm just getting around the compromises they made for whatever their reasons.
It should go without saying that this is just the opinion of one nut. Perhaps the next guy tries modding his hadphones, likes how much cleaner it sounds as a result, but finds himself not caring for the elimination of the plasticky tone and misses the upper midrange weirdness it had stock.

Aug 8, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #1,638 of 2,619
I'm not making any assumptions - if anything, just trying to be a blank slate to become accustomed to a new pair of headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
It seems that an assumption would be that I can do a better job than them before I even give the stock sonic presentation a try! I'll let you know how I feel a bit down the road, but they're keepers, that much I'm confident about already.

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #1,639 of 2,619
I never said anything about not giving the stock sound a try. Stop trying to twist my words around.

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #1,641 of 2,619
So I just got my K702. Only listening from an old Panasonic portable cd player (still waiting for an amp) but really enjoying them so far. Very engaging, airy and easy to listen to. I'm listening to classical and tough to find many flaws with them. Can't wait to hear them amped. And...sure enough, the bumps on the headband are pretty stupid. Just like everyone said. I wonder if my indents will be permanent!

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #1,642 of 2,619

Hehe, I found the bumps pretty funny as well...but my hair goes back into place pretty quick afterwards.

Quote:
So I just got my K702. Only listening from an old Panasonic portable cd player (still waiting for an amp) but really enjoying them so far. Very engaging, airy and easy to listen to. I'm listening to classical and tough to find many flaws with them. Can't wait to hear them amped. And...sure enough, the bumps on the headband are pretty stupid. Just like everyone said. I wonder if my indents will be permanent!

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #1,643 of 2,619
As these have got more comfortable their sound has improved dramatically. Still shy in the bass compared to my general preference, but now they seal much better to my head and as a result the bass has tightened up. Good move on AKG's part to use the sort of foam they use, once it breaks in a bit to your skull these things sound really nice and tight.

I can't believe this gets slagged as a mediocre headphone around here. I remember when it launched and people thought it was the best headphone around, haha. Well, I'm a more recent buyer, but I've gone from liking some things about it to really, really liking it a lot. When I don't feel like my other headphones, this is the antidote, and in some ways the antipode. A real case where frequency response graph doesn't tell much of the story, they look a heck of a lot closer to the HD-600 than they sound. Totally different tonality... Enjoyable, I think they're actually a brighter fun can I can get along with! I never could cotton to the Grado sound signature, and while this is by no means identical, there are some similarly forward qualities in several areas that I find myself getting along with. It's impressive to me that though the driver technology is really similar to Sennheiser's HD-580/600/650 style the implementation and sound is very different.

I'm a fan.

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #1,644 of 2,619
As these burn in, do they become more sensitive to the input. I'm listening to the same cd from the same player (nothing great; left my line out at home! Doh!) that I listened to the other night. While it definitely sounds better after burning in, it sounds worse too. Lots of crackle in the bass. Is this common after burning in? Do they become more sensitive?

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #1,645 of 2,619
Might be your source as they are mercilessly revealing.

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #1,647 of 2,619
i am sure this has been addressed but could someone please tell me. is the q701 just a different color or does it sound different? not, subjective if it does i mean did akg "tune" it to quincy's needs? thanks.

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #1,648 of 2,619
From doing a lot of reading on that (sorry...no links) some people experientially say they can hear a difference but others who have called AKG said it has not been retuned. I'm totally willing for anyone to correct this.

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #1,649 of 2,619
Yes, AKG confirmed that Q701/K70x sound the same.  (Was it Twitter or Facebook?)
I also emailed them when Q701 came out, and they said that the change is only cosmetic.

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #1,650 of 2,619

Quote:
Yes, AKG confirmed that Q701/K70x sound the same.  (Was it Twitter or Facebook?)
I also emailed them when Q701 came out, and they said that the change is only cosmetic.

Heck-a-mighty.  Well, at least I got green.
biggrin.gif
  BTW, any links you'd like to post concerning AKG admitting that they're the same?  TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back