K701 thread
Jun 2, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #1,531 of 2,619

Quote:
Another lo-fi comfort mod I just did last night...

I took some soft foam (I think this actually came from out of the K701 box but not sure as I've received several packages lately) and used it to make some spacers so the headband exerts less pressure on my head:

Why are those pads so dang thick?  K702/Q701 pads?

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #1,532 of 2,619
That's just how thick new K701 pads look from the back. Remember K701 pads are angled so they are thicker in the back.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #1,533 of 2,619
So...has anyone actually hard wired their K702/K701 by making it dual entry and completely bypassing the internal wires? Was it worth it?

I'm tempted to do this with my K601 or K702, but it just may not be worth it since AKG stock cables are actually pretty decent.

When using different cables on my K702 there's less than a 3% difference if that because of those stupid wires going from the metal rod to the driver.
I don't know why people say there is no internal wires.

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #1,534 of 2,619

Quote:
So...has anyone actually hard wired their K702/K701 by making it dual entry and completely bypassing the internal wires? Was it worth it?

I'm tempted to do this with my K601 or K702, but it just may not be worth it since AKG stock cables are actually pretty decent.

When using different cables on my K702 there's less than a 3% difference if that because of those stupid wires going from the metal rod to the driver.
I don't know why people say there is no internal wires.

i've been wanting to do this for some time.  i think i would just send my K702 to Drew at Moon Audio - his work is excellent.  Zombie-X would be another option at ZX Amateur Cables.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #1,535 of 2,619
I doubt it will make any audible difference, but if you would prefer the cable to be dual-entry, then I suppose you could try it.
Easiest thing would probably be to melt a hole in the right side matching the left, then rewire.

I've partly rewired mine in the interior with Mogami, but because the stock wires were rather oxidized and a little too short.
I'll probably rewire them completely later on with Nucleotide, but I will be keeping the single-entry style unless the left side gets too cluttered, then I'll go for dual-entry.

Quote:
That's just how thick new K701 pads look from the back. Remember K701 pads are angled so they are thicker in the back.

So mine are that old?  =p

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #1,536 of 2,619

Quote:
Are there any great amps for the AKG K701 for less than $130?

Edit:
So far, the only amps that have gotten my attention within my $130 limit is the Little-Dot MK-I and the FiiO E9. Which will be a better choice, in terms of SQ? I heard that the Little-Dot may produce warmer sound, while the E9 is focused on mids and treble.

The thing about the E9 is that it uses Machine socket op-amps , so you can always roll the op-amps if you dont like the sound signature of the amp. It just that you need the special screw driver to even open it up to change thm.

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #1,537 of 2,619

Quote:
The thing about the E9 is that it uses Machine socket op-amps , so you can always roll the op-amps if you dont like the sound signature of the amp. It just that you need the special screw driver to even open it up to change thm.

What changes do the E9 bring to the K701 unamped?

What about the LK MK1? How does it fare to the E9?

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #1,538 of 2,619

I'm also curious about the LD mkI, as well as the mkIII.

Quote:

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,539 of 2,619

Quote:

There's something special about ISL55001 + K701. 
basshead.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #1,541 of 2,619

Quote:

My orginal source was a STX, but I sold it to get the E9. Prolly best to ask some one who had the same source before adding the E9 to it.So you can get a more accurate answer.  I never used LK MK1, E9 is my first real headphone amp other then a speaker amp i had years before.

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #1,542 of 2,619

Quote:
^ Does the moon fit in your m-stage? (if you still have it?)

I thought it was great w/ 701s.

I sold it away, plus I need extension leads to try it out.
Those so called "discrete" opamps aren't really my thing.  They offer a more "pleasantly distorted" sound.  I did like Sun, but now that I remember it, I haven't used that one in some time.
I may get around to building extension leads later.

I'm also mildly surprised to find that K701 lacks a little treble extension versus A2000X.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #1,543 of 2,619
Well it's been over a half year since I've had both the K701 paired with the E9/E7. I thought I'd give my thoughts on the headphone, and to a lesser extent the wunder-amp Fiio has cooked up. As far as the headphones go, I bought my set used from MadlustEnvy back sometime in late '10, when I cannot be sure as I am too lazy, and/or drunk to look up the date on Paypal at the moment. I am unsure of the amount of burn-in given to them at the time that I received them. Suffice to say that in the short time I have had this pair in my hands (Serial #22512) if you were wondering the changes I have noticed have been dramatic, to say the least. When I first received the headphones they were sibilant and harsh, to an extreme on any recording that wasn't perfect. At first I was slightly disappointed, but I chalk that up to coming from the extremely bass-heavy Klipsch S4 IEM. They were enjoyable, especially with guitar based music, whether it be folk or metal; and by metal I mean all types: from the well produced prog and thrash metal to the "recorded in the carcass of a dead rat in a prison cell of a castle" black metal", the treble emphasis, while fatiguing added energy like you would believe to these recordings. As the phones burned in that treble emphasis chilled out, as well as the wonky mids, which upon first listen made pretty much any jazz recording sound like utter rubbish, have experienced an absolute 180. Anywho, I feel as if I'm saying nothing in a long paragraph that will only infuriate other readers who have been interested in the headphone so far. Given an extreme amount of burn-in, and I do mean extreme. These phones took at least half a year of constant (i.e. 4-7 hours constant listening daily) to settle in to their final state, at least driven by the powerful albeit a bit sloppy Fiio E9. As of now, the K701 will still be bass-light if you are bass head. But, to say that the bass is nonexistent is a fallacy, it is there, it doesn't thump until your head aches but it is there. The treble has cooled down tremendously, which is a relief to me, as many recordings that I listen to are poorly recorded and treble heavy.  When I first received the K701 I couldn't listen to Mingus' Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus or Darkthrone's A Blaze In The Northern Sky without having my ears bleed afterwards. After burn-in this is no longer an issue, the wonderful PrAT is still there, and the phones are indeed quick as all get out, but they are not near as harsh and thin as when I got them.

Now onto the contentious spot, the Mids. Oh boy there is no in between when it comes to the midrange with this phone. There are those who embrace the weird, thin, honkiness that these phones have until almost 1k hours of burn-in, and then there are those who find the honkiness and the the thinness of the Mids as a total deal breaker. If you dislike the Mids of the K701 I have no gripe with you, as they are admittedly thin and somewhat cold and unreal sounding. But, in my case I've made my amends that no headphones can give the live experience through the limited... er tech that is in headphones at this moment. Mind you that I'm a tad buzzed and have not the funds to invest in a Stax Omega system, so this *is* a personal experience. If you have heard other competing headphones (i.e. DT880, HD600/650) I commend you for having the financial security to indulge your tastes; but seeing as I am a lowly temp working with a budget amp and a notoriously picky headphone that is either loved or hated I hope you will forgive me.

So comes the "Too long, didn't read" portion of my erm, findings. I found the K701 to be perfect with  bass in my opinion, it isn't too overbearing, but it also isn't totally disregarded in exchange for treble. The mids, even with extensive burn in of both my amp and headphones are still slightly wonky and unnatural. I don't think the mids will become realistic until I invest in amp that is befit a headphone of this caliber. The biggest change is the treble, if you may pardon my French, holy crap! This is the most noticeable change with burn in. The highs smooth out, where they used to be sibilant and painful they, say they were at 11 (to borrow a Spinal Tap reference), now they would be at a 7.  They are much more in tune with the rest of the frequency spectrum. And while poorly recorded music is still noticeable, it does not sound as near as bad with burn in.

If you disagree please crucify me and leave me for dead.

Edit: Hehe I said "pickly"

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #1,545 of 2,619
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Then again this is the K701 Appreciation thread... so I suppose that I'm preaching to the choir, of sorts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back