k701 bland?
May 27, 2006 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

MKAL

100+ Head-Fier
I have been listening to my K701 a lot lately and really appreciate its soundstage and smoothness. However, sometimes I feel a bit like it bleaches the music in comparison to my Dyn audio speakers, and even the tone of my K81DJ. Sometimes it feels like a forced neutrality even when the music isn't recorded in a neutral manner. Does anyone else get this impression? I am wondering if the HD600 is better in this respect, although I remember that the HD600 seems to inpart a laid back character to everything. Why is it that headphones seem to enforce their characteristics on all music while good speakers don't necessarily do this? For reference, my system is a NAD c542 to SR-71 to K701.

May 27, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by MKAL
I have been listening to my K701 a lot lately and really appreciate its soundstage and smoothness. However, sometimes I feel a bit like it bleaches the music in comparison to my Dyn audio speakers, and even the tone of my K81DJ. Sometimes it feels like a forced neutrality even when the music isn't recorded in a neutral manner. Does anyone else get this impression? I am wondering if the HD600 is better in this respect, although I remember that the HD600 seems to inpart a laid back character to everything. Why is it that headphones seem to enforce their characteristics on all music while good speakers don't necessarily do this? For reference, my system is a NAD c542 to SR-71 to K701.

I've had that feeling about it from the first time I heard it. It strikes me as very "unemotional."

May 27, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 72
Yes, the K701 lacks the coloration of many other headphones.

Many will miss this coloration.

Absence of this accustomed coloration makes for a "forced neutrality" or a lack of some sort, that many could attribute to a lack of emotion.

Get a bad pair of headphones that color the sound in ways you are used to, and be happy.

The K701s will sound only as good as your source, ICs and amp (and tubes used) will allow, BTW.

To me, they beat out everything except perhaps the SA5000.

May 27, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells

Absence of this accustomed coloration makes for a "forced neutrality" or a lack of some sort, that many could attribute to a lack of emotion.

Get a bad pair of headphones that color the sound in ways you are used to, and be happy.

The K701s will sound only as good as your source, ICs and amp (and tubes used) will allow, BTW.

*tries to hold in the giggles*

May 27, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 72
I think I should have directed this thread more towards headphones in general, and not towards the K701 in particular. I just used it as an example as my current reference can. I actually find that all the reference cans I have heard impart a certain sonic signature on all music that speakers don't seem to do. In other words, I hear more variation between bright and warm recordings on speakers than in headphones. Why is this?

May 27, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 72
Hmmm, interesting reaction to the K701, at the very least. When I was at the 1-7-06 Oregon Meet, I found them to sound darn near identical to my HD580's (pre mod), so much so that I found myself lacking any consideration for them in the future- they had much more aesthetic difference to me. I think my 'phones have improved up against them since that time, and will further do so when I can afford to swap out and upgrade the cables, thus maxing them out. After that, I'm not really sure what the K701's will sound like in comparison.
Quote:

I actually find that all the reference cans I have heard impart a certain sonic signature on all music that speakers don't seem to do. In other words, I hear more variation between bright and warm recordings on speakers than in headphones. Why is this?

It could be your listening room imparting more of a space in which the differences in recordings will be more pronounced through your room's acoustics. How you set up speakers in a room can determine many things about the sound from my findings(all IMHO), including bass, imaging, treble, etc. For example, my tower speakers are 28" high, and when raised 8" they throw a more pronounced, more coherent treble, which affects all audio in playback. I also have guidelines on proper angles for my towers, which work great at 45 degrees diagonally faced out from their respective corners. This maximizes spatial cues and minimizes sweet spots in my applications. And finally, bass is significantly altered if you place your speakers closer or farther away from solid corners in rooms, from what I remember. Since a headphone has minimal on head adjustment, the sonic signature will hence be pretty constant. However, if a headphone were produced that allowed a changeable or modular depth of earcup or an adjustable aperture that controlled the sweet spot of the driver, it would be very interesting to hear.
600smile.gif
Abe

May 27, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 72
Quote:

Well I used to feel the same about the K701s, in fact even coming from the ER-4S they seemed to make music sound less exciting and involving.

Then there was break-in, which made a lot of nice changes but ultimately did not change the "neutral" nature of these phones and they still weren't very exciting.

At some point after listening to these phones for a while your ears/brain just gets used to it in such a way that you actually begin to appreciate what is going on. Everything is more subtle but still there and it is actually quite good. I like to think of it as eating your food with less salt - initially your food tastes bland but after a while you start to savour the subtle flavors that the salt was drowning out before.

May 27, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 72
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
What a bunch of hooey.

May 27, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 72
I was really starting to love my K701s once I got a better amp. Since I got the HD600s, the AKGs have been used sparingly. I need to change my avatar I guess.
frown.gif

May 27, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 72
I am so thrilled that I found this thread!

I have been lovin' my HD600's, but have had this yearning that I thought the K701 might fill (is this what you call upgraditis?
tongue.gif
).

I have since realized that this yearning was to fill the void left by the sale of my K501's,
ah the air, the sparkle . . . .
biggrin.gif

I was hoping that the K701 was to be the K501 with the bass it lacked, but it appears from what I have been reading that this is not the case.

After seeing this thread I may be able to overcome this craving and simply sit back and enjoy my HD600's for all they are worth . . . .
then again, maybe not
evil_smiley.gif

Well, supplemented by the replacement K501 that is on it's way
biggrin.gif

. . . perhaps
rolleyes.gif

May 27, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
After seeing this thread I may be able to overcome this craving and simply sit back and enjoy my HD600's for all they are worth . . . .
then again, maybe not
evil_smiley.gif

Well, supplemented by the replacement K501 that is on it's way
biggrin.gif

. . . perhaps
rolleyes.gif

Both ways are fine, but make up your mind
tongue.gif

May 27, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #13 of 72
Quote:

^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
rolleyes.gif
What a bunch of hooey.

How so?

I've had people tell me already in several other threads pretty much the same thing and how subjective headphone hi-fi is and the rest of it...

So which way is it?

May 27, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #14 of 72
There are times when the K701 can sound relatively bland, at least. It's lackluster when it comes to rendering reggae or dub, and its treble emphasis can make some highly produced pop tracks sound a little too rarefied. It doesn't have the "punch" of an SR225 or 325, and I miss that.

On balance, though, well-produced music sounds wonderful, and it does a nice all-around job. It never sounds so bland that it isn't attached to my head for hours each day.

May 27, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #15 of 72
Quote:

I can't speak for the Sonys, but I agree with you 100 percent.

These cans are very unforgiving: garbage in-garbage out all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back