K501 Appreciation Thread (rejuvenated)
Jul 17, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #77 of 111
Just stumbled on this thread

For what it is worth, the K501 are the only dynamic headphone I have ever held on to ( yes I am a card bearing orthohead ) , the K501 have just always been a pleasure to listen to. I am probably spoiled in the fact that mine rumble with the deepest bass I had heard from a headphone. They went as deep as the DT770 I owned many moons ago (short moons) but were nowhere near as coloured in the bass. Do I use them often - no :frowning2: , they sit as a reminder that not all things non-planar are nasty. The soundstage they project is particularly huge, not as big as the K1000 I had in my possession for a while but they were 99% as good as the (bass heavy K1K). The mid and bass accuracy is not on par with my orthos and this is most probably why they get less airtime than they deserve but still a wonderful soul to them that makes them a pleasure to listen to. I tried many of the mods way back - pad changes , foam in out etc. I never liked the 701 pads, sucked the life out of them. I did end up modding them - I sealed the bottom 1/3 of the stock pads and added some internal resistive damping to the driver itself. 

Long live the K501 
duggehsmile.png
  ..dB

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #79 of 111
Could anyone comment on what kind of voltage swing these things like? I just got a pair and they seem a bit thin-sounding with my faithful 3.6v-based cmoy. I also tried them with a 9v-based amp and it seemed like an improvement not only in the upper mids but also in the bass department. Would it be in my best interests to obtain or build an 18v amp or would it be overkill?

Jul 18, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #81 of 111
Got mine around a month ago. I'm loving them!! The mid-range is to die for
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Could anyone comment on what kind of voltage swing these things like? I just got a pair and they seem a bit thin-sounding with my faithful 3.6v-based cmoy. I also tried them with a 9v-based amp and it seemed like an improvement not only in the upper mids but also in the bass department. Would it be in my best interests to obtain or build an 18v amp or would it be overkill?

Well the K501's are some of the hardest-to-drive headphones so it takes more than a cmoy to power them properly
regular_smile .gif

Quote:
Just got new pads for my 6 years old K501. It not only looks better, but does fit better :)

Where did you get the new pads?

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #88 of 111

Quote:
Were the k501 really made specifically for classical? Is that in their PR or something?

Yep. On the box it's written that the sound is very good yada yada "for classical music lovers and purists", and there's a somewhat faint violin body on the background.
I must say they're particularly good for chamber music and piano.

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #89 of 111
hmm except for huge soundstage I prefer the opposite kind of sound for classical- rich and euphonic.  Best classical music headphones I have ever heard, and maybe the best I have ever heard classical reproduced was with my Headphile HP3000- warm but also fast and detailed. 

I'm thinking acoustic and vocals is where the K501 does best.  Genres that don't require (as much) lower mids and bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back