K501 Appreciation Thread (rejuvenated)
Jul 9, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #46 of 111
My K501 is the one with 3 long openings and 4 short openings,does it mean it is the bass heavy version?i only know mine might be the first version that came out according to the check on the different versions of K501 thread

Jul 9, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #47 of 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega17TheTrue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

. . . 
Between the K501 and the K701 sonically ? Some say it is more natural than the K701.

I might get a K501.

O17TT (Your Head-fi name sounds like a knight's title.)

The following will, I hope, help to answer your question about the K501 v. K701.  Having had no experience with the K601, I cannot comment there.

(The following was borrowed from another thread.)

I owned the K701 on two, separate outings and--rec-cabled with RAL Paradise Cryo-Silver--they were actually my reference cans for over a year.  The K701 have a disjointed smear/kink in their upper midrange/lower treble that reeks havoc particulalrly with vocals and makes the frequency transition on either side of it problematic, if not altogether impossible.  

After I heard how cohesive the K501 were by comparison, with their ultra-pure, seamless midrange, I could never go back to the K701.  I still own and very much enjoy the K501 (w/UP-OCC solid silver re-cable).  As far as I am concerned, they establish THE benchmark for midrange reproduction within their price class, above their price class, and sometimes WAY above their price class.

Here is the link to a formal comparison thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/298239/yet-another-akg-k501-v-k701-review

PAB

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #48 of 111
You were right pataburd in what you told me in a previous thread. Now that I've been consciously listening for the 'kink' I notice it a lot. If an instrument or voice hits a note in that range where the smear/kink is it can sound pretty bad.

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #49 of 111
Noob here. 
smile_phones.gif

Some of you are specifying "dynamic" headphones.  What does that mean?  Why would anyone want cans that *aren't* "dynamic" ?

I have a running list of "neutral" and "flat" and "accurate" cans.  I already had the 601's and 701's on it, but now I need to research the 501 !!

Quick question though, I also see a lot of positive comments for the K240DF's.  Can anyone comment on how those might compare to the 501's?

Thanks !!

Jul 9, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #51 of 111
If you are looking for neutral, accurate, & flat there are the DT100/DT48/CD900ST/& some of the more serious studio grade German Meastro, Shure, & fisher headphones.. But if you just want 'flat', the best I heard would be the NAGRA DT48S. Of course they are just dynamic offerings.

Quote:
Noob here. 
smile_phones.gif

Some of you are specifying "dynamic" headphones.  What does that mean?  Why would anyone want cans that *aren't* "dynamic" ?

I have a running list of "neutral" and "flat" and "accurate" cans.  I already had the 601's and 701's on it, but now I need to research the 501 !!

Quick question though, I also see a lot of positive comments for the K240DF's.  Can anyone comment on how those might compare to the 501's?

Thanks !!

Jul 10, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #52 of 111
Thanks !! 
beerchug.gif
  Some of those I have on my list already, but some of them I'm not that familiar with.

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #53 of 111
Quote:
Noob here. 
smile_phones.gif

The term refers to the driver technology - see this wiki page.

Jul 10, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #54 of 111
Ahhhh, "moving coil", got it 
smile_phones.gif
  Some other good stuff there too.  Thanks !!

Re: the AKG K240DF: I thought maybe "diffuse field" was a more commonly used term, but nothing in there about that.

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #56 of 111

Beyers, I think, invented the moving coil technology, or at the very least, the first to create a stereo Hi Fi headphone.. The NAGRA DT48S. Every headphone fan/lover owes gratitude to Eugene Beyer..Personally I think he's a genius, & admire him more then any other person in terms of dynamic headphones..I can only imagine what he could do with today's technology. Truly beyond his time..
Quote:
Ahhhh, "moving coil", got it 
smile_phones.gif
  Some other good stuff there too.  Thanks !!

Re: the AKG K240DF: I thought maybe "diffuse field" was a more commonly used term, but nothing in there about that.

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #57 of 111
D.Q.- Thanks for the link.  I really dig stuff like that.  "What's behind the curtain" type of stuff. 
smile.gif

kbi -  I'm learning ...  Thanks !!

Jul 11, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #58 of 111
Good that I listen to a lot of bass heavy electronica. I would have had to get my hands on the old AKG otherwise a long time ago.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #59 of 111
I had not listened to my K501 for a few weeks, pulled them out and leaned back. Totally worth it and the reason I have had them this long, granted I had mine re-cabled by Alex of APureSound with his V3 cable and it even helped bringing out the bass a bit (yes I compared them side by side with an stock K501).

Jul 12, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #60 of 111
Mr. A,
A pair of used K501 with APS V2 got me thinking about a re-cable.  The UP-OCC solid silver re-cable really makes the K501 sing better than ever.  This is longest I've ever kept a single set of cans.  : )

PAB 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back