k1000 owners club
Mar 7, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #1,546 of 1,660
@hrklg01

i am seriously considering going for a k1000 hunt because i prefer having the pressure points on the temples than something touching my ears or the front part around the ears.
Can you say to which serial number it is save to assume getting a "bass heavy" unit?

Thank you very much

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #1,547 of 1,660
@Heinz

i am seriously considering going for a k1000 hunt because i prefer having the pressure points on the temples than something touching my ears or the front part around the ears.
Can you say to which serial number it is save to assume getting a "bass heavy" unit?

Thank you very much

I have an early 4000's K1000 for sale, that one is definitely bass heavy (I'm sure Heinz will confirm). If you are interested you can PM me and I can try to work you out a better deal than the one i currently have in the classifieds :wink:

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #1,550 of 1,660
@Heinz

Thank you very much
I am not Heinz, but I had 6 pairs of the K1000 in my hands in the past.))
As far as I know, no one knows exactly which pairs are bass heavy and which are bass light, even Heinz himself because he already left AKG by that time. Some people say that the pairs with black boxes are bass heavy, others claim that all the numbers below 4000 (or 5000 or even 6000). The bass heavy pairs worth more money, so there are some speculations on the part of the sellers who want to make more money.
In my opinion, if I wanted to buy a bass heavy pair of the AKG K1000, I would not buy a pair with a serial number higher than 2xxx, or even 1xxx better yet. You cannot go wrong with a pair with such a low number.
Another way to distinguish whether or not it is a bass heavy one is to look at the back of the driver. I made a post about it a couple of years ago - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/history-of-the-akg-k1000.57805/page-20#post-12126078 It is kind of difficult to see the difference without disassembling the pair, but still possible when you hold it in your hands.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #1,551 of 1,660
@Heinz

Thank you very much

Just go for the Mysphere 3.2 :) You won't miss the K1000's.

Also, you want @hrklg01 - that's Heinz Renner's ID here.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #1,552 of 1,660
Just go for the Mysphere 3.2 :) You won't miss the K1000's.
Fair enough, but the Mysphere is about 4 times more expensive. Unfortunately, very few people can afford a pair of headphones that costs 4000 dollars, even if it is excellent. After all, it is just headphones, not something you cannot live without.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #1,553 of 1,660
I wonder if the bass heavy / bass light thing isn't overhyped. Mine is 11xxx so clearly bass light. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to a bass heavy pair so my thoughts my not have much merit. But I do find my pair to have a wonderful balance with more bass most people would give it credit for. For the music I listen to (generally acoustic) I get the impression more bass would actually disturb that balance. Has anyone compared known bass heavy to bass light back to back and care to comment?

Mar 12, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #1,555 of 1,660
I wonder if the bass heavy / bass light thing isn't overhyped. Mine is 11xxx so clearly bass light. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to a bass heavy pair so my thoughts my not have much merit. But I do find my pair to have a wonderful balance with more bass most people would give it credit for. For the music I listen to (generally acoustic) I get the impression more bass would actually disturb that balance. Has anyone compared known bass heavy to bass light back to back and care to comment?

From personal experience the difference is quite clear, but I personally prefer the signature of the bass light version. I think that it's very possible for someone to lean either way, but obviously the bass heavy version has more collectible value (and are generally from earlier batches).

But yes, the difference isn't as huge as some people make it out to be.

BTW, if anyone reading this is in the greater Boston area has a pair of K1000's and am open to lending them to me for a review piece, please let me know!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #1,556 of 1,660
...Another way to distinguish whether or not it is a bass heavy one is to look at the back of the driver. I made a post about it a couple of years ago - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/history-of-the-akg-k1000.57805/page-20#post-12126078 It is kind of difficult to see the difference without disassembling the pair, but still possible when you hold it in your hands.

thanks. you're the best.
seems to be i can confirm bass heavy batch at least to sn 5165:
WP_20190307_18_45_20_Rich.jpg
WP_20190307_18_54_44_Pro.jpg

sadly it was just a loan. so the hunt goes on :)

Fair enough, but the Mysphere is about 4 times more expensive. Unfortunately, very few people can afford a pair of headphones that costs 4000 dollars, even if it is excellent. After all, it is just headphones, not something you cannot live without.
exactly that. even if you can afford 4k+ for a set of earphones... you may not want to :wink:
and as said before... in my opinion its not a true successor because of the "on ear" design.

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #1,557 of 1,660
Mar 16, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #1,558 of 1,660
Might be the case, but driver is also different, so I am more inclined to believe that is what makes it bass heavy. Mine is 41xx and bass heavy with the same circuit board as the 1xxx pics. Might be that the printed circuit change happened at the same time as driver changes rather than the circuit being the difference in itself?

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #1,559 of 1,660
Might be the case, but driver is also different, so I am more inclined to believe that is what makes it bass heavy. Mine is 41xx and bass heavy with the same circuit board as the 1xxx pics. Might be that the printed circuit change happened at the same time as driver changes rather than the circuit being the difference in itself?

I wouldn't know either.
What I see is without disassembling them.
It is clearly the left image and my serial is 74XX.
To be honest I cannot get into understanding completely what the post describes in the pics and even more without opening them.

But I believe that putting new drivers SHOULD dictate changes in the circuit to accomodate them.

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #1,560 of 1,660
having a look on the two pics side by side in this post (left 1XXX and right 5XXX)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/history-of-the-akg-k1000.57805/page-20#post-12126078
I noticed the differences in the printed circuit below the drivers which are more than obvious.
My pair a 7XXX is a clone of the left pic regarding the printed circuit...
I wonder if this makes it a bass heavy.
Just wondering....
Maybe Heinz will explain what makes the difference in terms of sound between those two pairs, if he still follows the thread, but in my opinion the most important thing is the back of the driver - the early pair on the left has a bigger hole covered by a foam disk. In addition to it the material of the diaphragm is slighty different. The circuit board is not important as far as I understand it. In addition to it, you can find another (third) version of the circiut on the web if you google "the AKG K1000 driver". Here it is -
31492.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back