K1000 bass heavy/light ... fact or fiction?
Jul 1, 2010 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

AppleheadMay

Headphoneus Supremus

I have seen a lot of K1000 in the "Headphones for sale/trade" forum the last few months and often I see buyers asking if it's a bass heavy/light version or sellers advertising it as bass heavy/light. No, I don't want to say it's falsly advertised, they probably believe it is bass heavy/light from what they read. What's more, they may even be right.

That same question kept me busy as well a while ago and I almost ended up buying a second K1000 because of that. I know, you're sorry about my wallet. 
wink_face.gif

Now I remember finding an old thread about the matter or a discussion in a longer thread, almost certainly here on HF, by doing a search here or on Google since I found that sometimes results in finding old threads on HF I didn't find by using the search function here. I can't seem to find it back though. It might even have been info I collected from multiple threads.

Anyway, what I understood from it was that people eventually came to the conclusion there probably is no bass heavy or bass light version. First low SN were believed to be bass heavy, then certain series of SN, low as well as high were found to be bass heavy/light and finally the bass heavy/light difference was considered uncerrtain or non existant. I haven't found any direct comparison between the two so called different versions with the same amp though.
So, in my opinion based on testing my K1000 with different amps (all I have/had in my profile except from the iCube) and what I read on HF I think bass heavy or light perception depends on the amp used with the K1000. My K1000 has a serial number in the 8k and is in no way shy of bass when powered with an appropriate amp. Some amps don't have the power to drive it loud enough, some do but don't make it shine (lack of bass, lack of body in lows and mids among other things) and some get it right.

Now I wrote this post hoping to start a thread that might be helpful to all those people who are intereted in buying a K1000 and falsely/rightly believe that there are two versions of the K1000.
I hope this doesn't become a discussion about the right amp for the K1000 since we have enough of those already.
I would love it if people post in this thread either know where to find the info I once found or have tried different K1000 on the same amp and can prove me right or wrong.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 54
A Sydney head-fier owns a couple of K1000s, and has kindly lent them to a number of local headfiers.

I have directly compared a 'bass heavy' K1000 (low serial, c.4000s) to a 'bass light' K1000 (higher serial, c.10000) out of the same amp at the same time (the said headfier's 80W class A balanced headphone amp) over a period of a number of weeks.

There was definitely a difference in not just bass, but in the overall sound signature of the two pairs of headphones, and I preferred the 'bass heavy' ones.

Jul 2, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 54
Fact - at least from my experience.

Jul 2, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 54

Quote:

As a person who does not have  a dog in this fight,  I was curious about the measurements here.  Frankly I don't see this any difference between the 2 plots.  They are basically the same with some possible variation dues to what appears to be an imprecise system for placing the microphone in front of the driver 

"microphone was placed very close to the driver (easier to consistently line it up that way)"

Jul 2, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 54
AKG indeed applied several physical changes during the years of their production run.
At least there are three different runs known that can be seperated anyhow like:
#0 <bh> ~3000(3500) <bh> ~(7500)9000 <bl> 12000

Changes affect diaphragm thickness and material, glue and glued parts (later screwed), cable access to pcb, damping material, etc. resulting in different sonic characterstics. These changes don't go along with the different wooden box types. At least three different models there again, black, natural finish, different letter print on the foam, latch and chain mechanism. An endless story of minor changes everywhere.
Just ask the aftermarket recablers they know best after plenty of treated K1000s.

Jul 3, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 54
Thanks all for your input, question solved for me.
I bet it will cost me 1k again for a second pair though, I guess in the long run resistance will be futile! 
Thanks also for the SN guidelines Baldux.

Quote:
I have directly compared a 'bass heavy' K1000 (low serial, c.4000s) to a 'bass light' K1000 (higher serial, c.10000) out of the same amp at the same time (the said headfier's 80W class A balanced headphone amp) over a period of a number of weeks.

80 Watt class A headphone amp? Holy crap! I'd love to find some more info on that monstrosity. Could you point me in the right direction jjinh?
It probably drives any kind of speakers as well I guess? Tube or SS? 

Jul 3, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 54
I know of about 3 runs. I have two K1000 close in S/N which sound differently. I spoke w/ Fitz about why these two units which are so close sound differently ... it may be the transition point from two runs.

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 54

To compare the sound signature of two K1000's that are close in serial you would have to know that the original drivers were still fitted.

I would imagine that some low numbered units have been fitted with new drivers,so buying on serial number's alone would involve an element of risk.

As the years continue it becomes harder to sort the facts from the myths.

Jul 4, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 54
Quote:
80 Watt class A headphone amp? Holy crap! I'd love to find some more info on that monstrosity. Could you point me in the right direction jjinh?
It probably drives any kind of speakers as well I guess? Tube or SS? 

I think it's only a headphone amp, albeit a really big and warm (i.e. heats up my room) SS one.

It was designed and built by wink and it easily powered the half a dozen pairs of headphones (including the 2 pairs of K1000) I had plugged into it at the same time.

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #14 of 54
At 80 W class A I bet it's that hot. My Marantz SS class AB integrated which can be switched to class A (up to 30W I think) is cooking after an hour of use.
Too bet it's a DIY amp and not commercially available. I would have been interested for sure!

Jul 4, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #15 of 54

Quote:

I'd trust Fitz - he once uploaded a picture of his K1000s. I hope he doesnt mind me using his pic, I believe he may have had more more pairs than this...

Now that is just not fair!! I only want one!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back