k1000 owners club
Jan 14, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #1,471 of 1,660
Thanks very much....do you have an opinion on the AKG amp that was developed for the K1000? I don't recall the exact name.

It seems though that a receiver or amp that can power speakers would be less of a concern.

I believe that the German built SAC KH1000  class A amp was also designed for the AKG K1000 headphones.
I find it better for the K1000 than the EHHA which I also own (and prefer for the HD800 phones).

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #1,472 of 1,660
Yes that's the amp I was referring to...read mixed reviews on it somewhere but it can't be that bad.

By the way, is this rattling a consistent problem with the K1000? There is a big review somewhere on this forum and the K1000 got a sub par review because of rattling noise.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #1,474 of 1,660
Yes that's the amp I was referring to...read mixed reviews on it somewhere but it can't be that bad.

By the way, is this rattling a consistent problem with the K1000? There is a big review somewhere on this forum and the K1000 got a sub par review because of rattling noise.

Hello,
yes it was stated many details about the rattle issue several times in the forums.
May you check this out first:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/57805/history-of-the-akg-k1000/15
BR heinz

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #1,475 of 1,660

I believe that the German built SAC KH1000  class A amp was also designed for the AKG K1000 headphones.
I find it better for the K1000 than the EHHA which I also own (and prefer for the HD800 phones).

To my understanding, the SAC KH1000 was better adopted to the K1000 as the amplifier built inside the BAP1000 from AKG. However I did never had the chance to listen to it myself.
BR heinz

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #1,476 of 1,660
W​ith respect to the discussion about amps designed to drive the AKG K1000s, I was informed by a builder and designer of some Bottlehead Audio tube amps that the Bottlehead Paramount Monoblock Amps were designed specifically to optimize the performance of the K1Ks, which were so beloved by Dan Schmalle, the head honcho of Bottlehead Audio.   I can tell you the Paramounts CAN do the trick, easily.  They output 8 whole watts in SET mode with 300B tubes.   I have a pair, one for each left and right driver.  Have to admit I have never heard the Dead sound so good in HDCD format with any other amp-headphone combo.  My preamp is the Coffman GA-1, which has an awesome preamp section and headphone output.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #1,477 of 1,660
I'm trying to listen to Carly rae Jepsen's "I really like you," and it's just agony on K1000. Even with EQ it's SO BRIGHT. Katy Perry's "Rise" and "Roar (for Hillary!)" were much less painful. I think their mixes had more bass.

Mar 3, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #1,479 of 1,660
  I'm trying to listen to Carly rae Jepsen's "I really like you," and it's just agony on K1000. Even with EQ it's SO BRIGHT. Katy Perry's "Rise" and "Roar (for Hillary!)" were much less painful. I think their mixes had more bass.

I remember demoing two different K1000s and I was convinced they sounded like completely different headphones. High serials can be a hit or miss. Low serials tend to always win me over. I do recall one high serial pair I had to sound very "shrill and bright" sounding. Anyway, whenever I listen to the K1000s, I always have the drivers all the way out to minimize listening fatigue. I'd rather listen to my Q701 over the K1000s with the drivers closest to the ears. Anyway, I'd take a beat up, scratched up, pissed on low serial K1000 with working drivers over a mint condition high serial K1000.

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #1,480 of 1,660
  The DNA Stratus and WA5 were both designed for the K1000. I've unfortunately heard neither pairing, though the Stratus has far fewer watts than would appear necessary:

"• All XLR and 1/4" TRS outputs provide the same power: 1.8W into 50 ohms, 900mW into 100 ohms"

How is it that it powers the K1000?

I have a DNA Stratus and K1000. The two work beautifully together. I can't say I listen to music terribly loud, though. I think there's only a handful of instances where I'm 9 (out of 10) on the volume knob and these are for some Acoustic Sounds Blue Note and Telarc SACD remasters where the recording level is fairly low compounded by a 6 dB lower output level from the disc player for SACD playback.

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #1,482 of 1,660
So, guys, what's the current value of a pair of k1000 in great functional condition with some cosmetic issues?
Also, please someone enlighten me: why the common practice of not mentioning the full serial number of a piece of gear in the selling ad? Instead, people say something like: "Serial number 38xx"... Sorry for the dumb question....

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #1,483 of 1,660
So, guys, what's the current value of a pair of k1000 in great functional condition with some cosmetic issues?
Also, please someone enlighten me: why the common practice of not mentioning the full serial number of a piece of gear in the selling ad? Instead, people say something like: "Serial number 38xx"... Sorry for the dumb question....

The beginning of the serial number let's you know when it was made and this is important to a lot of people as there are significant differences between early and late builds. Posting the entire serial number would be useless information as people just want to know the beginning so they know which version they're getting.

I'm a little behind on the pricing but I'd guess $1400 to answer your question. May be a little off idk.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #1,485 of 1,660
Posting the entire serial number would be useless information as people just want to know the beginning so they know which version they're getting.

That's all? I thought there's a specific reason why people are hiding the full name, otherwise it's just as easy to write, say, "3815" as it is to write "38xx".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back