k1000 owners club
Aug 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #451 of 1,660
K1000 FTW

Aug 25, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #452 of 1,660
I greatly prefer the sound of the K1000 to the HD800, but the HD800 are much more comfortable IMO (I returned the HD800 due to creaky springs, a drooping headband, and what I perceived as a lack of bass).

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #453 of 1,660
Since I found out that you can extend those temple cushion thingy's, they are much more wearable. And after listening for about 10min's I just forget them, its just when you turn your head that you will notice them again haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #454 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I found out that you can extend those temple cushion thingy's, they are much more wearable. And after listening for about 10min's I just forget them, its just when you turn your head that you will notice them again haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah. I keep waving my hands while listening and I forget I'm wearing cans. Good thing they've never dropped.. yet.

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #455 of 1,660
I finally got my system hooked up yesterday: Zana Deux to RW Signature 30.2 integrated to K1000. Bliss; warmer than just going through the Signature alone. Still, as always, I'm searching for more bliss, and I think it will come when I figure out how to manage an amp and a preamp. Are there general guidelines on high the volume should be on my ZD preamp versus volume on the Signature? I'm still fiddling with it and I wonder if there is an obvious consensus answer.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #456 of 1,660
If you're using the ZD as preamp, you can likely bypass the 30.2 preamp entirely. That's definitely what you should do. I'd get in touch with Vinnie, and he can advise.

If there's no way to do so, it appears to be a passive pre, so you shouldn't have noticeable degradation by turning the RWA volume to max and only using the attenuation of the ZD.

Give it a (careful) shot.

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #457 of 1,660
The power amp Signature would've been the right way to go, but the used price on the integrated was just too good to pass up.

Sherwood, what you say makes sense to me, but . . . what is the reason not to do it the other way around? What would be the difference in turning the ZD to max and using the RWA for attenuation?

Hmmmm . .. . I think maybe I don't understand basic audio concepts. In a recent post, someone said that he/she was using a ZD as "one half amp, one half pre amp." No clue what that means . . .

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #458 of 1,660
Never mind what I said as I just realized that the Zana has a line out.

My guess would be that maxing out the volume on your Zana would be taxing on your tubes since they would be working a lot harder than usual.

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #460 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That makes sense; it would probably heat my house for the winter too.

My ZDT absolutely will make my bedroom toasty this winter, but has to stay in the living room for summer.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #461 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sherwood, what you say makes sense to me, but . . . what is the reason not to do it the other way around? What would be the difference in turning the ZD to max and using the RWA for attenuation?

You could do that, but it uses the Zana as a "buffer" rather than a preamp, and you necessarily decrease the fidelity of your signal with every piece you add to the signal path.

In electronic terms, a preamp does more than just select sources and volume. It mates the output voltage of a source with the input sensitivity of an amp. If you crank the Zana, you're back to using the RWA as the preamp, and while it may work well, it makes the Zana totally unnecessary. It turns from a well-designed piece of audio equipment into a pleasing source of distortion -- not very hi-fidelity.

Try it both ways, though, and see which you prefer. I have my guess as to which configuration will sound better
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #462 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try it both ways, though, and see which you prefer. I have my guess as to which configuration will sound better
smily_headphones1.gif

You win (
biggrin.gif
), both in science and in practice (at least for my ears). Thanks very much for your help.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #463 of 1,660
Are any of you using this k1000 super computer
eek.gif
? (pics attached) does it work? how does it work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back