k1000 owners club
Aug 13, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #421 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Duggeh, the K-1000s definitely need to be amped right to really hear what they are capable of just like the 007. When I first bought them. I tried them with several amps (some pricey ones also) and had you're same opinion of them. I loved them, but they didn't seem all that special.

Even my KT88 tube amp in triode mode didn't put them over the top. And it should have been the perfect match looking at the specs and opinions around here. The F1 controls the drivers perfectly, but IMHO sound very analytical compared to the Aleph 3 which I prefer. If I decide to spend multiple thousands on an amp in the future, I would go to a 300b amp most likely. Didn't you have the aleph j or something?

Anyway, I simply think you enjoy stats and the like, so why poor money into the K-1000? It improves with recabling in a significant way. ICs, power cables, power conditioners, source and recording all come through good or bad and like the HE-90, 007, etc really need synergy to make them shine.

I just think dialing in the K-1000s and also dialing in the 007 and your others is quite a task, and I think with your preference you'd be better served pouring the money from the sale of your K-1000 into your stat rig.

I will hopefully get chance to hear the HD800 and a JH13 PRO in the next month or so. Of course, swapping out a K1K for an HD800 would be an even bigger task because I havent even owned a dynamic headphone amp in years.

I have been tempted to recable the K1K, but I think it pointles doing so prior to more sufficient amplification. I also doubt that any amp would flesh out the low end so that its more like the TakeT or the O2, although It might get close to or better than my modified AMT.

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #424 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will hopefully get chance to hear the HD800 and a JH13 PRO in the next month or so. Of course, swapping out a K1K for an HD800 would be an even bigger task because I havent even owned a dynamic headphone amp in years.

I have been tempted to recable the K1K, but I think it pointles doing so prior to more sufficient amplification. I also doubt that any amp would flesh out the low end so that its more like the TakeT or the O2, although It might get close to or better than my modified AMT.

I see. Not even the F1 will give you much more in terms of bass extension. It does add fullness to the sound, but it will probably remain an issue for you.

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #425 of 1,660
Hey guys, I have a question. Now I have two pairs, 03852 and 07589, both black box.

Now the later had more bass than the first, but the headband is also a bit different and the cable is a bit thicker on the later.

How many versions are there?

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #426 of 1,660
Relatively new to the K1000s here..just eceived my pair yesterday..I love it though it gets slightly fatiguing to my ears. I am not used to the extension in the highs that these are capable of.

Sonically it would be tough to pick between my ESP950+stax amp combo versus the AKG K1000 + EHHA combo..But I feel the Koss ESP950 does indeed beat the AKG in a variety of areas.

I do love them both though. Some improvements to the amp are on the way..hoping that would rub out the differences a bit.

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #427 of 1,660
I looked at the specs for the EHHA and I honestly think it won't be able too run the K1000 well. The mosfet version might be able to just barely run it decently.

The K1000 needs 91-92ma for 1 watt. The specs on the EHHA show it has 101ma mosfet output current at 50 ohms. That means it won't have that much at 120 ohms since the output is solid state and should be almost 0 ohms.

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #428 of 1,660
The EHHA was designed for the K1000, or so I hear. That being said, Sachu, I was surprised by your K1000 choice -- it doesn't really fit with any of the headphones you've enjoyed before.

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #429 of 1,660
Sachu, musttt try tubessss forr K1000.
wink.gif

Notice the bolded, italicized, and underlined word.

Too bad my amp has been stuck in Customs for 3 weeks now.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #430 of 1,660
As a modestly priced, well-built tube amp, the NORH SE-9 performs very well when paired with the K1Ks. It far exceeded my expectations.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #431 of 1,660
Or a tube sounding SS amp like the Aleph 3 or the RWA sig 30. It will be in your best interest to find something that has good synergy with the K-1000s.

Even the SAC amp which was designed for the K-1000s leaves something to be desired.

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #432 of 1,660
All this tube amplifier talk makes my wallet cry! he he
I have yet to hear the K1000 when driven by one, and am wondering what I am "missing out of". The general consensus are that the Signature 30.2 is quite warm and tube sounding though, so hopefully I am on track.

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #434 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All this tube amplifier talk makes my wallet cry! he he
I have yet to hear the K1000 when driven by one, and am wondering what I am "missing out of". The general consensus are that the Signature 30.2 is quite warm and tube sounding though, so hopefully I am on track.

It's not the warmth that makes tubes impressive, to my ears, but the transparency. My k1000/tube listening is limited, but every experience I've had (all with SET amps) has been one marked by immediacy and transparency unlike any solid state I've heard.

I don't think my K1Ks need warming up. They need moar resolution.

Aug 20, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #435 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not the warmth that makes tubes impressive, to my ears, but the transparency. My k1000/tube listening is limited, but every experience I've had (all with SET amps) has been one marked by immediacy and transparency unlike any solid state I've heard.

I don't think my K1Ks need warming up. They need moar resolution.

Curious, but how do they sound off the Peachtree Nova? Still planning to get a Cary to drive them like the one at the meet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back