k1000 owners club
Aug 12, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #406 of 1,660
I have no idea. I was thinking about buying one (srd-7 or so) and trying it out with an inexpensive stax headphone just to see how they are. I seriously doubt even a top stax setup will be much better, if better all, than the F1+K1000 setup though. The only negative comments I've seen are from Duggeh about K1000 compared to stax and he must not have heard them out of the F1. He says they don't have the speed to keep up with faster music but I haven't come across anything that makes the K1K start chugging along yet. I'm talking about music like Dragonforce, All That Remains, Black Dahlia Murder, Lamb of God (fast metal). Those bands aren't slow by any means.

I just use a volumite to control the volume on my buffalo and have it hooked straight into the F1 too though so there is no preamp that could possibly slow/change the signal either. I doubt many people have used it without a preamp so this may sound different than other setups.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #407 of 1,660
I haven't heard the K1000 out of the Firstwatt F1.

However you haven't heard the top Stax AT ALL.

The defense rests.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #409 of 1,660
Anyway. After more time my two biggest gripes with the K1000 are insufficient low end and the comparitive graininess in the high mids compared to other other headphones. Sometimes it's magic to listen too, but far too much it fails to move me like the SR-007 or TakeT H2 does. I expect that by the time I've finished my DIY AMT and the Thunderdome it'll be behind those too.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #410 of 1,660
Insufficient low end has never bothered me in the slightest, and at this level your bass preference seems to be something of an acid test. Must you have it? Stax O2. May you live without? Other choices. I may easily live without.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #411 of 1,660
I am really interested in the some of the music you compared on all the setups. The best I have heard so far is the R10, HP1000, PS1, + my k1000/dx1000. Do you remember what songs you used to test and what was missing? I would like to listen to some of the songs to see if I can or can't hear what should be there. I'm hoping I get to listen to a nice stax setup either at the Chicago meet this November or canjam next year since its in Chicago and some complex songs would surely help with testing. I listen to some fast music but it isn't "audiophile" quality as you saw. I just don't have the money to buy a top end stax amp + headphone after this setup and another big purchase.

Also have you been able to compare the HD800 to the others? After I pay off some debt I would like to order a couple connectors for a diy balanced cable and get a HD800 to compare to the K1000. Is it worth the time in your opinion?

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #412 of 1,660
I don't use some music to compare setups. I own the headphones. I listen to a bit of everything. I wasn't impressed with the R10 when I heard it in 2007, in fact I thought it a bit thin and bright. and I had the DX1000 on loan for several weeks and that utterly failed to impress me in any way. I'm hoping to hear the HD800 in September.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #413 of 1,660
Douglas, I'm really anticipating your enjoyment of the HD800. I like them a great deal, and they sound to me like something you would like as well.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #414 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't use some music to compare setups. I own the headphones. I listen to a bit of everything. I wasn't impressed with the R10 when I heard it in 2007, in fact I thought it a bit thin and bright. and I had the DX1000 on loan for several weeks and that utterly failed to impress me in any way. I'm hoping to hear the HD800 in September.

Not being impressed by the R10 is one thing, but thin and bright isn't the impression I got from the R10 I heard at Canjam, not even close. Perhaps it's the system?

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #417 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not a consumer amp at all -- It's a pro amp. XLRs are pro standard. I certainly wouldn't wire up my K1000s to that beast, though. I have no idea how it will handle 120 ohm impedance, and 250 watts is downright unnecessary.

Moreover, it actually gives less wattage at 4 ohms than at 8 ohms, which seems eminently strange. I'd give Behringer anything a wide berth in general, but I certainly wouldn't wire up my beloved K1000s to one.

Yeah, the numbers are silly for K1000.
smily_headphones1.gif

But should I keep the volume knobs in the rear left and adjust the volume with a preamp, it acts in class A, unless I've mistaken the concept of an AB amp.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #418 of 1,660
It'll act in class A up to a certain output, at which point it'll revert to class B to cool down. Unless its designed to dissipate its maximum possible current draw (something like 5000 watts) all the time, you won't be able to lock it in class A whether you use a preamp or not.

If you want pure class A for the K1K, the most you can likely get away with is 20 wpc.

Aug 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #419 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'll act in class A up to a certain output, at which point it'll revert to class B to cool down. Unless its designed to dissipate its maximum possible current draw (something like 5000 watts) all the time, you won't be able to lock it in class A whether you use a preamp or not.

If you want pure class A for the K1K, the most you can likely get away with is 20 wpc.

Thanks for valuable advice. I will probably leave the offer for others, and buy something I can hear first so there won't be problems.

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #420 of 1,660
Duggeh, the K-1000s definitely need to be amped right to really hear what they are capable of just like the 007. When I first bought them. I tried them with several amps (some pricey ones also) and had you're same opinion of them. I loved them, but they didn't seem all that special.

Even my KT88 tube amp in triode mode didn't put them over the top. And it should have been the perfect match looking at the specs and opinions around here. The F1 controls the drivers perfectly, but IMHO sound very analytical compared to the Aleph 3 which I prefer. If I decide to spend multiple thousands on an amp in the future, I would go to a 300b amp most likely. Didn't you have the aleph j or something?

Anyway, I simply think you enjoy stats and the like, so why poor money into the K-1000? It improves with recabling in a significant way. ICs, power cables, power conditioners, source and recording all come through good or bad and like the HE-90, 007, etc really need synergy to make them shine.

I just think dialing in the K-1000s and also dialing in the 007 and your others is quite a task, and I think with your preference you'd be better served pouring the money from the sale of your K-1000 into your stat rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back