K-ON!! and J-Music Disscussions
Oct 24, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #181 of 243

Quote:
just yesterday, i tried the M50 with a DIY amp, and it sounds awesome..
the amp costs 190USD and i really dont know the name of it because its custom made..

i think it really opens up the M50 sound

Quote:
as for the amp, its made by someone on my local forum, so i dont know much about it..
but that amp surely brings the vocal upfront and have plenty of juice to drive even the HD650.

Ah, you should try to find out what the amp's name is or who its maker is. It'd be such a shame for a good pair of amps for the M50s to go unnoticed..

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #182 of 243
All I care about is that there's going to be a movie. An actual K-On! movie. It will be the best thing since the ATH-M50s.
I got to trial a pair of SR80is a for the whole of last weekend and they sounded great with Hokago Tea Time tunes - fast, detailed, plenty of bass and great guitar-ness. Glad you're happy with the M50s, though.

Nov 7, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #183 of 243
you all should try k-on songs with the M50

youll be amazed of how great it sounds..

second best, i think is SR80i from grado..

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #184 of 243
Yeah, they're Grados. One thing I did find is that they're very forgiving of less good recordings so... well, that's quite a few K-On! tunes. I'm going to get some MS-1s at some point and so I have a crazy idea where I'm going to make some woody cups and then engrave the names of all the band members around the edge where it normally says 'Alessandro Music Series'. No idea if it's possible, mind.

Also, I'm really enjoying the Houkago Tea Time II album which I finally managed to accquire. Even though it goes against my audiophile tendencies I'm really enjoying the cassette mixes. In some cases they actually have better separation and timbre than the studio mixes, which is the exact opposite of what you'd expect if you really recorded an entire band on one cassette player.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #185 of 243
yep, 
fortunately i have both the 320kbps and the flac version of those..

i can compare it directly, flac sounds better, but not by much..

yeah, i agree on that, better separation and staging, which is almost impossible if recorded on a usual tape recorder..

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #186 of 243

Quote:
sorry, forgot to mention max budget is US$150

so far i've been listening to their songs from a nokia 5800 and a CX300
and I'm kinda missing the details.

and i cant find anything from grado other than SR60, SR80 and HF-1 here.

GO FOR THE 80i's with gs1000 cups works wonderfully, or the L-cush cups, or the RS 125i series...but the on ear cups make me angry lol.

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #187 of 243

Quote:
you all should try k-on songs with the M50

youll be amazed of how great it sounds..

second best, i think is SR80i from grado..

I may pick up a pair of M50s sometime...out of curiosity, more than anything else.  K-On sounds plenty good with the LCD-2. 
wink_face.gif

I'm still trying to find a way to get the stuff off the cassette tape that came as a bonus onto my comp.  I don't have a tape deck...go figure.

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #188 of 243
Quote:
I'm still trying to find a way to get the stuff off the cassette tape that came as a bonus onto my comp.  I don't have a tape deck...go figure.

Dude, you BOUGHT the album. I think you can afford to find a nice shady download, just this once
tongue.gif

Also, you earn 3 internets for buying $1000 dollar cans and listening to badly recorded J-Pop. Kudos.
beerchug.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #189 of 243
K-on fan here, though I'd prefer using my 990s for music over my K701. Not much of an analytical listener. I kick back and enjoy the tap dancing rhythm!
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #190 of 243

Quote:
Dude, you BOUGHT the album. I think you can afford to find a nice shady download, just this once
tongue.gif

Also, you earn 3 internets for buying $1000 dollar cans and listening to badly recorded J-Pop. Kudos.
beerchug.gif

Hahaha...yes...I actually bought the album...limited edition, no less.  I've either worked for retailers or vendors for most of my adult life, so I like to support the industries whenever I can.  I also tend to collect a lot of stuff, especially anime related.

And it gets better than just using the LCD-2.  It's got the ALO cable, plugged into a nearly unobtainable Stacker 2 amp, plugged into a mostly unobtainable Assemblage DAC 2.7.  Do I get more internets for that?  LOL

...course I also DO use them to listen other music that is better recorded/mastered.  Still...most of it is J-Pop...but ya know...that's my thing.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #191 of 243
It's bad that I look at that rig, and that taste in music... and see me, in a few year's time.

I also try to buy CDs where I can, but I still haven't found a cost-effective way of buying Japanese music. Some of it is on digital DL services, but generally not what I actually like. One day I plan to go to Japan and raid a record store for all it's worth and actually buy most of the CDs I've accquired otherwise.

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #192 of 243
Heh...well I'm notoriously obsessive as a consumer, so maybe you're safe.  Maybe.

There really isn't a whole lot to do about affordable purchasing from Japan right now...at least for me.  The only thing that helps mitigate things is that I tend to usually buy several things at a time to help save on shipping.  The K-On!! Insert Songs LE was a little different though, since it was sold out most of the places I looked at.  Currency conversion rates are awful for us yanks right now, in general.  Hurts since a lot of my library is j-pop, anime soundtracks, and game soundtracks.

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #193 of 243

i much prefer M50 than those grados for listening to K-ON!!

the treble is too sharp for my liking..
but ill keep one SR60i when i got enough money then..

LCD-2 is a great cans, but i cant even look at the price tag...
i got my M50 after about 10 months without allowance money..
:'(

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #194 of 243
From a little bit of time using a coworker's SR60, I can't say I care for the sound too much.  I'm pretty sensitive to treble and other high frequencies, and the sound was too fatiguing for me.  I actually have only really liked one of the Grados that I've heard, and that was the PS1000.  Definitely another can that you won't really want to consider if your budget is based on an allowance. 
wink_face.gif

I keep saying it, but I'll probably get around to picking up a pair of M50s one of these days, unless I run into one at a local meet sometime.  I'm curious about their sound, especially with the amount of attention they get.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #195 of 243
Hope those of you that say you'll 'buy em one day' do it within your lifetime; it's been disheartening seeing what happened with fansubs and that group of people.  I'm positive we're all guilty of it to some point, but as a true fan it'll make you feel better and you'll enjoy the music more.

I've really enjoyed the LCDs, but can't say they're the absolute best thing for anime music.  Muddled presentations show through it, and the female vocals can be just slightly hollow compared to some other phones.  Still debating whether I want to get rid of my T1 or not -- while the LCDs are far, far more musical in its presentation, with the right vocals the T1s can melt your ears off.

Quote:
Heh...well I'm notoriously obsessive as a consumer, so maybe you're safe.  Maybe.

There really isn't a whole lot to do about affordable purchasing from Japan right now...at least for me.  The only thing that helps mitigate things is that I tend to usually buy several things at a time to help save on shipping.  The K-On!! Insert Songs LE was a little different though, since it was sold out most of the places I looked at.  Currency conversion rates are awful for us yanks right now, in general.  Hurts since a lot of my library is j-pop, anime soundtracks, and game soundtracks.

Why not use Kinokuniya since you're in Seattle?  Prices are actually fairly reasonable since their conversion table for DVD/CDs is different from books, and you get 10% off w/ their membership.  You can special order pretty much anything if you ask them.

It's too bad there isn't too much in the way of DL sales.  Amazon JP started selling DRM-free tracks, but after trying to get a few albums (out of a not-so-stellar selection) I found they were region-bound on sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back