K-ON!! and J-Music Disscussions
Nov 11, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #211 of 243

Quote:
If you're staying in the headphone realm, you'll just have to have multiple headphones and play around with which ones work best for which situations.  Used to listen to most of the crappier recordings off my KSC-75,  Audyssey compensation seems to help darken the sound enough that I can overlook most of the problems like oversampling (which seems to be the biggest problem out there, regardless of genre).

The anime jazz CD by Rasmus Faber has been the most mindblowing for me so far -- sounds phenomenal, isn't a quick money-grab jazz arrangement, and keeps the original songs at heart.  Did not see any K-On stuff on Vol2 that's coming out this month, but who knows w/ vol3.  Also haven't had too much to complain about w/ the idolmaster recordings aside from the occasional noise.  Planning to stop buying the CDs after the current series, but that's got more to do with how Namco's treating the series than anything else.

I am personally agree with the anime jazz CD of Rasmus Faber; the 1/2 track just blown me away!

regardless, the newer kind of anime song genre seems to give certain characteristics; it will be interesting to analyze which kind of cans that suitable with them, lol (and we not even talking about vocaloid here)

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #212 of 243
I currently only have Project Diva and Project Diva 2nd, Exit Tunes feat/Hatsune Miku and 3 of Girl's Generation CD on my clip + in constant repeat...  Still hasn't decide which headphone would be best... 

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #213 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhokZYashA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and some of the angel beats songs also on flac..
and i prefer the recording on the angel beats songs..

much better separation and imaging..
thats what i hear anyway..

Haha, that's interesting - 'theme of SSS' from the Angel Beats! OST is my track of the now at this point. Such energy and passion, and with a good bit of techno energy thrown in for added spice. I did tend to find the mastering for the OST as a whole a bit odd though - very backwards and forwards in soundstage but not much to the side, like it was mixed into an oval. I don't notice it so much now though, so maybe it was my imagination. For vocal tracks 'My Soul, Your Beats!' tends to get a bit jumbled when things get busy, 'Brave Song' is very nice except where the orchestral bit kicks in near the end and 'Ichiban no Takaramono' is basically perfect except for some slight harshness on the vocals. They're all fantastic songs, but I don't often get to talk about J-Pop mastering so I'm blurting a little
tongue.gif

Oh, and if you've never watched/played Kanon, the opening and ending songs and a few other tracks were written by Jun Maeda, who came up with the idea for Angel Beats and wrote the music. 'Last regrets' is one of my favourite tracks ever.

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #215 of 243

Quote:
I currently only have Project Diva and Project Diva 2nd, Exit Tunes feat/Hatsune Miku and 3 of Girl's Generation CD on my clip + in constant repeat...  Still hasn't decide which headphone would be best... 

If you can get a hold of it, the self-titled supercell album feat. Miku is awesome.

As for headphones, can't be of much help there.  I use Yuin earbuds for most of my portable needs.

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #216 of 243
ugh, can't stand 99% of the vocaloid stuff.  Some potentially great songs if they get someone to sing it, but...

I got ahold of the ATH-M50 today, figured why not as I'd only be out shipping if it turns out to be no good.  I think they're awesome headphones but w/ serious caveats if you're listening to whatever's applicable in this thread.  The soundstage is great and acoustic tracks make you want to keep listening (long as you can live w/ some sibilance -- they're monitors so I can let that go by), but man do some of the vocals come out harsh.  Respective to K-On sources stuff by Yui seemed to be the most affected, with her voice feeling just a touch static-y.  It made the voice of Riya (of eufonius) downright unpleasant.  I'm definitely over-reacting as I'm used to tracks being mellowed out somewhat coming out of a tube amp, but it's something worth thinking about.  I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and let it 'burn in,' though I doubt that kind of voodoo can turn the tables as far as it needs to for me to be satisfied.

I assume people that listen to the Vocaloid stuff don't put a lot of weight on the vocal tracks (I suppose there's also a small percentage that enjoy listening to MS text-to-speech) as long as a song is cohesive as a whole; those people will probably get a real kick out of the M50s considering the price and what it can put out.  People like myself, who think that (at least w/ regards to anime songs) mediocre vocals can ruin an otherwise fantastic recording, best stay away.

Going by totally subjective terms, if I were to similarly rate my other headphones on a scale of 10:

LCD-2: Inst 10 / Vocals 8  (makes the songs come alive; you can tell female vocals arent as stellar as they seem if you go from a listening session w/ the T1s to the LCD, nonissue otherwise)
Beyer T1: Inst 7.5 / Vocals 10 (cymbals make you wish you had a Ritsu punching bag until you get accustomed to its sound signature; anything sung by Rie Kugimiya will melt your ears off)
Beyer T50p: Inst 5 / Vocals 8.5 (mediocre soundstage; somewhat muddy bass but pretty good vocals, I consider them good non-fatiguing work headphones)
AT M50: Inst 8.5 / Vocals 5
HD650: Inst 7.5 / Vocals 7 (the T1's little brother, though it doesn't have that treble hump)
KSC75: Inst 4.5 / Vocals 7 (former work phones till I got the t50p.  Susceptible to dismemberment if run over by vacuum cleaners)
Shure SE530: Inst 5 / Vocals 8

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #217 of 243
Don't go harshing on vocaloid stuff man, or I'll have to take off the gloves. 
tongue_smile.gif

IMO, if you want some of the better songwriting without the vocaloid, however, the non-vocaloid supercell stuff may be more up your alley.  Nagi, the stage name of the vocalist they've started to use, is pretty fun to listen to.  Decent range and belting power, though a little on the higher side of the vocal range...not too unusual for Japanese female pop singers though.

Interesting views on the M50.  Be sure to bring them if you can make it to the next Seattle meet.  I think there's one in the works for Feb/Mar.

Nov 19, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #219 of 243

Quote:
Is it wrong that I am watching the Miku 39's giving day concert on blu as I type this...

Absolutely not, shame on you for even thinking that.

I heard some of those vocaloid songs sung by human female singers instead... I wasn't the least bit impressed.  I'd take Ali Project, Mami Kawada, Aqua Timez, or AKFG over them and vocaloids altogether.  Or Bocelli over them, too, lol.

Edit: but don't assume I'm not a Miku fan  =D

Edit2: Shouldn't this thread be renamed "J-Music" or soemthing and be moved to the Music forum?

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #220 of 243
yeah, surely

i got the headphones, but it will not closed the opportunity to get another one..

but i like the idea about J-Music

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #223 of 243
The timing of me finding this thread is interesting, as I've just started getting into the vocaloid and K-On stuff. Not terribly thrilled with the vocaloid concept, but there are some incredibly catchy songs (can't get Just Be Friends out of my head!). I originally got into J-Pop by listening to Hikaru Utada and since getting my ATH-AD700's I'm loving the genre even more.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #224 of 243

Quote:
Don't go harshing on vocaloid stuff man, or I'll have to take off the gloves. 
tongue_smile.gif

IMO, if you want some of the better songwriting without the vocaloid, however, the non-vocaloid supercell stuff may be more up your alley.  Nagi, the stage name of the vocalist they've started to use, is pretty fun to listen to.  Decent range and belting power, though a little on the higher side of the vocal range...not too unusual for Japanese female pop singers though.

I'm not a big fan of vocaloid but it's not my cup of tea. However the nagi fronted supercell is pretty good stuff (odd it just came up on my ipod now though.) Also if you do a search on youtube, there are nagi vocals for all sorts of songs which run the pop rock gamut. I love her voice. She had been a busy one before hooking up with the supercell group.

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #225 of 243

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhokZYashA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

and some of the angel beats songs also on flac..
and i prefer the recording on the angel beats songs..

much better separation and imaging..
thats what i hear anyway..

Haha, that's interesting - 'theme of SSS' from the Angel Beats! OST is my track of the now at this point. Such energy and passion, and with a good bit of techno energy thrown in for added spice. I did tend to find the mastering for the OST as a whole a bit odd though - very backwards and forwards in soundstage but not much to the side, like it was mixed into an oval. I don't notice it so much now though, so maybe it was my imagination. For vocal tracks 'My Soul, Your Beats!' tends to get a bit jumbled when things get busy, 'Brave Song' is very nice except where the orchestral bit kicks in near the end and 'Ichiban no Takaramono' is basically perfect except for some slight harshness on the vocals. They're all fantastic songs, but I don't often get to talk about J-Pop mastering so I'm blurting a little
tongue.gif

Oh, and if you've never watched/played Kanon, the opening and ending songs and a few other tracks were written by Jun Maeda, who came up with the idea for Angel Beats and wrote the music. 'Last regrets' is one of my favourite tracks ever.

Thanks for reminding me. I completely forgot to download the Angel Beast official OST after I got tired of waiting a while back.
tongue.gif
Thank god for mirc. Torrents are all dead and would take forever for FLAC files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back