JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Dec 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #1,681 of 1,936

No no, not a deep notch... overall tonal balance is quite smooth bottom to top.  No annoying frequency irregularity.
Really depending on the recording and the source and amp, but I would say, it is the clear type of midrange or vocal.  For example, playing David Roth - More Pearls from Stockfisch Records, David voice sounds natural and clear... it is closer to reality, like you hear people speaking of singing in front of you.  Good clarity and natural, with no emphasize on the mids body that with some other iems would make the vocal sounds thicker, warmer and intimate, not that type.  Vocal sounds clear and natural to me, maybe a bit recessed compared to warmer sounding IEM.  

For example comparing to Yamaha EPH-100, EPH-100 is darker sounding, also smooth, and for vocal, I think many people like the way EPH-100 emphasize the mids, it sounds fuller, warmer, and more intimate.  With FXD80 you get more natural and clearer mids.  So it is depend on what you like.  Especially for Stockfisch recordings which I like, EPH-100 sounds warmer and nicer, softer treble.  While FXD80 sounds clearer with more sparkling treble, and also better bass, it extends lower than EPH-100.  

But for classical recordings, instrumental, Jazz like Jazz at the Pawnshop, it is hard to beat FXD80.  Spacious, Airy, full and extended bass, good clarity, pin point imaging.  No midrange issue with those kind of recording.

If you're familiar with Shure IEMs house sound, those 535 and lower (below 846 models), FXD80 is rather the opposite.  Most of the Shures are rather dominant on the midrange, FXD80 sounds more extended on the bass and treble, and in comparison to the Shures, the midrange might sounds recessed.  But not up to the extend that the recessed midrange sounds unnatural, but to the extend that the overall sounds signature sounds clearer, very good clarity, and very good bass.  Midrange, I would say clear and natural.

Pairing also important.  I recommend player or source that is a bit to the warmer or darker side of sound signature.  For example, Fiio X3 is a good match with FXD80, also good with iPod, while with Audioquest Dragonfly DAC for example, the clarity sometime can be a bit too emphasized for some recording.  Still good for classical and instrumental, but not for my Stockfisch collections.   Playing Stockfisch through Dragonfly, I prefer Yamaha EPH-100 (or my Sennheiser Amperior).

I hope it helps.

fantastic thank you, i hope to give me my impressions soon, i probably will not burn them in to be totally honest (if i do maybe 100 hours ) not the 500 hours that some are mentioning here. i dunno why but i feel like the for dynamic drivers anyway " they can only be played a certain # of hours and the more i burn it the short its "lifespan" therefore i feel like it would short out quicker"-- plus i never listen to my music over 45-50% on on my iems and burning in seems like ppl are putting them at liek 60-70% 

it would cause too much stress on the drivers i feel and short them out

probably just my irrational fear but regardless 500 hours is really long (i'm probably home maybe 12 hours a day +sleep)  thats 41 days of burning them in 

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #1,682 of 1,936
i finally got them in today! initial first impression was that the bass was a bit bloated and a was a bit bright for my taste

might be my mind tricking me but after 8 hours of burn in it sound it better

i like the sound as it is right now if it improves even better lol

the bass is quite big in quantity lol should i shift a bigger ear tip? its not muddy at all and it reaches very very low and quite fast, faster than my monster turbines. tighter than the turbines but not as tight as my gr07 or re400s. but quantity wise i think its the same as the turbines

mid bass is very punchy (perfect imo) very nice

the mids are really no kidding, recessed!!! as stated before, male vocals especially! not even like really strong vocalists just general male voices > female voices. even compare to the bassy turbines but the mids are very clear and not hearing any bass bleed so far. 

i feel like i have to turn up the volume a bit to where i'm use to the mids (5 clicks on my iphone or 3 clicks on my fiio e6) but bass get bigger too and the treble a bit harsher (its too loud in that range) 

i guess i will have to just deal with the recessed mids

the treble is really prominent compare the turbines (no harshness or siblance, very surprising) and quite a lot of sparkle (i LIKE, with a big smile) but i can see this leading to fatigue after a some time of continuous  listening

in terms of soundstage it seems to be larger than normal. (maybe the treble's doing) its leaner and not as thick  sounding or closed sounding  as my turbines (its like a club in my head). but not as spacious as my gr07 but more than my re400s

those are just my early impressions i wonder if my thoughts would change, i was mixing between female and male vocals and between it and my turbines (both being bassy earphones)

any thoughts on how to make the mids less recessed ? tip change? insertion depth? etc

oh something else to note. THERES LOT OF DRIVER FLEX ON MY RIGHT SIDE, like i thought my turbines had a lot driver flex (it seems mild compare to the jvcs), theres mild driver flex in the left side  i wonder if this really does damage the drivers down the road (its semi vented so some pressure can be relieved right?)  this such a DOWNER!!!! 

can anyone comment on the longevity of their jvcs?

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #1,684 of 1,936
Tom, how would you say the treble area of the fxd80s were in relation to the gr07?

after listening a bit more i feel that the gr07be  has a bit more uneven treble > fxd/r80

the lower treble is more prominent on the gr07be making it a bit more siblant > fxd80

then in the around  the mid treble  it dips a bit and then moves upward again but in terms of the treble its more thin > fxd 

while for the fxd80 it seems to have a fairly proportional upwards climb after the upper mid range toward the treble. i actually find the fxd more sparkly

i can see some people thinking its a bit bright for them but i enjoy it =)

definitely the fxd80 if you want more a prominent treble (not exactly the most accurate) but its definately more fun for electronic music, or anything with synthetic beats and synths 

but this can be because of the more recessed mids of the fxd80 doing this while the mids on the gr07be is stronger so its not as apparent

if your listening to more vocal based music the treble and the bass can get in the way sometimes. not that the mids are bled into but the other two regions become more prominent while keeping the mids clear

if my views change i will be sure to update here or pm u if i forget pm me in a week or two lol. gonna use the jvc as my primary earphone for a bit 

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #1,685 of 1,936
id like to add that the treble is a bit exaggerated on the jvcs not really in a off putting way to me. i'm accepting it more now, before i didn't hate it but i just prefer if it didnt do that 

for example some songs with tambourines and bells those higher pitched instruments its sparkles a bit longer and more 

again this may be more obvious because of the recessed vocals and mids 

i forgot this is more geared to consumers so this could be done to making it BLATANTLY  obvious that theres sparkle, and that the highs are really good/ prominent

if you don't like this the fxd80s are prob not for you

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #1,687 of 1,936
I don't really notice the mids being recessed, they sound normal to my ears. Then again I don't think I've owned a pair of earphones that have prominent mids. I really am loving music with these things, can't wait to get some better source gear over my Lumia 920. Eyeing the Fiio X1 late this year.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #1,688 of 1,936
I don't really notice the mids being recessed, they sound normal to my ears. Then again I don't think I've owned a pair of earphones that have prominent mids. I really am loving music with these things, can't wait to get some better source gear over my Lumia 920. Eyeing the Fiio X1 late this year.

haha thats the thing! almost everything else i own had strong mids from the re400 to the gr07 to the monoprice 8320

even my headphones the monoprice 8323 and the noontec zoros had good if not strong mids
even the turbines had natural but not recessed mids 

to be totally honest i find the mids less recessed on the philips she3590 > fxd80.

not hating on them, at all the mids are more recessed than the philips but more clear.

the fxd80 are my first earphone and headphone with recessed mids so its a adjustment for me 

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,689 of 1,936
  Yeah, I really loved the FXD80's when I owned them. If it weren't for the recessed mids, it would have been a perfect phone for me.

i think they are perfect but in their own way so far anyway

but their more selective on certain music

i do find male vocals really lacking in fullness and a bit for female vocals

but when listening to faster less vocally emphasized or intense music its good

like even for the modern pop songs i think its more than suffice 

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #1,690 of 1,936
Can anyone compare these to the Denon C710? Definite recess in the mids. Perhaps better overall detail articulation?

Cannot get hold of any in NZ :frowning2:

Can I also just confirm that the FRD80 is technically the same unit as FXD80 with the addition? Seems to be cheaper but the mic does put me off...any experience in the difference where the cords detach from left to right?

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,691 of 1,936
  i think they are perfect but in their own way so far anyway

but their more selective on certain music

i do find male vocals really lacking in fullness and a bit for female vocals

but when listening to faster less vocally emphasized or intense music its good

like even for the modern pop songs i think its more than suffice 

JVC HA-FXD80 as other IEMs as well, depend a lot on the source and amp that drives it.
Today I tested it with Fiio X3 + Fiio E12DIY with Muses02 Op-Amp and LME49600 buffer.
The tonal balance of FXD80 changed a lot, the mids now thick and full, and the treble a bit dark (darker than what I use to hear).  It changes from natural V shape tonal balance I use to hear with iPod, mobile phone, and Fiio X3 headphone output, into natural thick and full body midrange with rather dark treble... I was very surprised 
blink.gif

So, try with other player and amp, the tonal balance might changes a lot 
wink_face.gif

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #1,694 of 1,936
Good to hear. I've been wanting to try these for quite sometime. I've owned the fxc51 and loved them. So Im curious to see what the predecessor is like. Odd request here, but can anyone compare the miles Davis trumpet to the Fxd 80? Or any other micro driver comparisons? Thanks.

Jan 6, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,695 of 1,936
Good to hear. I've been wanting to try these for quite sometime. I've owned the fxc51 and loved them. So Im curious to see what the predecessor is like. Odd request here, but can anyone compare the miles Davis trumpet to the Fxd 80? Or any other micro driver comparisons? Thanks.

joker actually mentioned the miles davis in his fxd 80 review, check it out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back