JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Nov 2, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #1,306 of 1,936
Quote:
Thanks gnarlsagan! I also appreciate you posting that "tips" tip and photos :)

Hey WAYNE, you need those radio shack auvio tips. Too bad it is no longer sold ANYWHERE!!! Dannybai, was kind enough to offer me some since he got a couple of sets stashed up. Oh and wear these over the ears, which gives you a deeper insertion (improves the sound a lot for me) with almost zero microphonics.  
beerchug.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #1,309 of 1,936
I really love the FXD80's for what they are, but they suffer from something called TOO MUCH BASS so I honestly don't listen to them very often at all.

If only they had a nicer frequency response these IEM's would be a killer, but as it stands they need some kind of mod like removing that yellow sponge in them, or fixed FXD100 release.

I couldn't pull off the "shower cap" part I think you need some kind of tool to pry it off, or make a small cut in it somewhere.  Like with a chainsaw?

The bass levels aren't lethally high, they're just way too much for me for comfortable extended listening.  Similar issue with the ATH-ES10 actually.

Apart from the FR issues (could use some more mids as well), it is quite a unique and dazzling IEM though.  It's much more interesting than the JVC S500 headphone in my opinion (even with the earpad fix), JVC 'cheated' with that one somehow or it's just not quite at the same level in design, i.e. lots of plastic versus stainless steel etc.

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #1,311 of 1,936
Quote:
I really love the FXD80's for what they are, but they suffer from something called TOO MUCH BASS so I honestly don't listen to them very often at all.

If only they had a nicer frequency response these IEM's would be a killer, but as it stands they need some kind of mod like removing that yellow sponge in them, or fixed FXD100 release.

I couldn't pull off the "shower cap" part I think you need some kind of tool to pry it off, or make a small cut in it somewhere.  Like with a chainsaw?

The bass levels aren't lethally high, they're just way too much for me for comfortable extended listening.  Similar issue with the ATH-ES10 actually.

Apart from the FR issues (could use some more mids as well), it is quite a unique and dazzling IEM though.  It's much more interesting than the JVC S500 headphone in my opinion (even with the earpad fix), JVC 'cheated' with that one somehow or it's just not quite at the same level in design, i.e. lots of plastic versus stainless steel etc.

Well I don't consider the FXD80 a bass-heavy IEM at all, but the FXD70 would probably be more to your liking if you feel that the FXD80 has too much bass.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #1,312 of 1,936
I let my fdx70's burn in for approx 70 hours, and am listening to them today on my clip zip. The burn in tamed the shrew quite a bit! I'm looking forward to seeing how continuing burn in affects them.

I can see why so many people like them - they really are very good. I'll probably post comparisons later, but for anyone who has the 70's, I can understand why you are happy with them. I am simply enjoying listening to them quite a bit.
ksc75smile.gif

I think it was rick who suggested wearing them over the ear. Good suggestion, because otherwise they would be falling out all of the time (and I get a much better seal over the ear as well).

Ciao for now..

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #1,313 of 1,936
Quote:
Hey WAYNE, you need those radio shack auvio tips. Too bad it is no longer sold ANYWHERE!!! Dannybai, was kind enough to offer me some since he got a couple of sets stashed up. Oh and wear these over the ears, which gives you a deeper insertion (improves the sound a lot for me) with almost zero microphonics.  
beerchug.gif

Sorry I gave credit to rick in my above post for suggesting wearing the 70's over the ear. YOU get all of the credit for that lol!

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #1,314 of 1,936
Quote:

Sorry I gave credit to rick in my above post for suggesting wearing the 70's over the ear. YOU get all of the credit for that lol!

haha no problem bud, glad to hear you are diggin' them 70s. Man if you can get your hands on some of them shack tip oh boi. LoL

Oh and I forgot to thank you for that XBA3 offer.
beerchug.gif

edit: WoW these crazy Sony MH1Cs are really scaring me right now.
triportsad.gif
eek.gif
think you are gonna love them WAYNE

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #1,315 of 1,936
Quote:
haha no problem bud, glad to hear you are diggin' them 70s. Man if you can get your hands on some of them shack tip oh boi. LoL

beerchug.gif

triportsad.gif
eek.gif

I though I asked for the XBA3 first? lol ... I'm just saying.

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #1,316 of 1,936
Quote:

Ha! Yes indeed eric, you get first dibs on my xba3's if I go insane and decide to sell them. What sf's referring to is this post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-sony-mh1c-are-for-real-pg-283-the-sony-mdr-xb90ex-danny-bs-take-pg-182/4515#post_8834377

You're also a member of that elite crowd for sure
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #1,317 of 1,936
Quote:

Oh LoL, back of the line for you then!!!

Nah I was talking about how WAYNE offered to help some of us buy the XBA3s from Future Shop if/ when they go on sale again. Just wanted to say thanks for his nice gesture.  I am really tempted to buy one but only if they are like $100. For me $100 of an IEM is wayyy too much already even though they might sound like a million bucks, I still have to get my hands on the FXD80s. haha But i don't think they will ever come to the states sadly, so prices on them will remain high. :frowning2: 

edit: ^ what WAYNE said.
beerchug.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,318 of 1,936
Quote:

Yup, definitely digging them. I notice that if I push them in further, the sound is even fuller. They don't stay in at that depth though. Maybe those auvio tips keep them in further?

beerchug.gif

You're more than welcome!

triportsad.gif
eek.gif

Yes, I really need a 4th pair, because having 3 pairs dangling over my ear at the same time for a-b-c'ing just isn't enough lol! It is pretty wild comparing the r1's, 70's and xba3's though - I am quite amazed at the different signatures and qualities. No wonder people experiment with so many different iem's! It will be very cool to throw the mh1c's into the mix - hopefully this coming week.

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #1,320 of 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am really tempted to buy one but only if they are like $100. For me $100 of an IEM is wayyy too much already even though they might sound like a million bucks, I still have to get my hands on the FXD80s. haha But i don't think they will ever come to the states sadly, so prices on them will remain high. :frowning2: 

It's an interesting game, that's for sure. I didn't even want any iem's. Who knew that buying the fx40's at futureshop for $25 would get me started on this crazy iem adventure. For me, $100 for an IEM is was wayyy too much also. Damn you xba3's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back