JVC new top tier Wooden IEM : JVC HA FX 1100
Oct 23, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #452 of 663
Got a HA-FW01 after auditioning it and found it to be an improvement over my HA-FX850 + Mee Audio P1 silver-plated cable combo, in terms of a cleaner treble and more controlled bass. Treble is less harsh, and the bass is tighter, but still possesses energy and fullness (not as much as a stock FX850 though). The FW01 on its stock cables was really clear and had good instrument separation, and the cables had little microphonics.

MMCX HIGH-FIDELITY SILVER-PLATED OFC REPLACEMENT STEREO AUDIO CABLE FOR PINNACLE P1 IN-EAR HEADPHONES: http://www.meeaudio.com/CABLE-MMCX-HE-ZN/

The soundstage on the FW01 (with its stock cable) was spectacular; it matched the FX850 combo I'm using (the P1 cables really expands the soundstage of the FX850s). I tried the FW01 with the P1 cables and holy hell, that soundstage! It became so expansive that it felt almost artificially stretched!

The major drawback of the FW01 was its lack of isolation. I use the largest spiral dot tips that came with my FX850s, and they do a relatively good job of isolating a FX850 (definitely not complete, but good though if you wanna filter out environmental sounds). Yet, when I use them on the FW01, I noticed very vividly that environment sounds were quite noticeable. I was so very disappointed with this, because I use my FX850 combo daily when I commute on the train, and they do a relatively good job of isolation. I tried using smaller spiral dots and foam tips to see if I get a better isolation, but nope, it is the FW01 itself (as far as I can tell). It is for this reason that I sold the FW01 to someone else, and stuck with my back-modded (thanks james444!) FX850 combo. I guess the longer FX850 casing (compared to the FW01) has a role to play in this. Also, a non-modded FX850 has better isolation than the FW01.

Overall, my take on the FW01 is that it is an excellent pair of IEMs, but only if you plan to use them in a quiet environment.

I am now interested in getting a FX1100/1200. Is the isolation on them similar to the FX850s?

Thanks for the info regarding isolation on the FW01. I've only been using them in quiet surroundings so far and didn't notice any difference to the older models.

Isolation between the FX850 and FX1100/1200 is pretty much on par ime.

Oct 23, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #454 of 663
How do you like them james? Eager to have some very early opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

My preliminary impression is that the FW01 are a slight but definite improvement over the FX1100/1200. Bass is still north of neutral and punchy, but less bloated, tighter and better defined. Mids are comparable in quality, but have better presence and intelligibility. And treble is ever so slightly less peaky, more refined and a tad more downsloping. Overall, they FW01 are slightly better balanced and less v-shaped than the older models.

Looks like JVC have consequently been working to add incremental improvements to their TOTL woodies. Maybe someone over there has even been lurking on head-fi and seen people mod their IEMs to tame the bass, so they decided to meet us halfway lol...
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #455 of 663

My preliminary impression is that the FW01 are a slight but definite improvement over the FX1100/1200. Bass is still north of neutral and punchy, but less bloated, tighter and better defined. Mids are comparable in quality, but have better presence and intelligibility. And treble is ever so slightly less peaky, more refined and a tad more downsloping. Overall, they FW01 are slightly better balanced and less v-shaped than the older models.

Looks like JVC have consequently been working to add incremental improvements to their TOTL woodies. Maybe someone over there has even been lurking on head-fi and seen people mod their IEMs to tame the bass, so they decided to meet us halfway lol...
wink.gif

I agree with this and this is the main reason why I prefer the FW01 to the older models.

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #459 of 663

oh wow....so the FW01 actually is a bit smaller...looks like a squeezed FX1100/1200 housing...
Then I was wrong, but it has been a long time since I tried the FX1200. 

However, also the FW01 are huge.

Yup, they look like FX1100s after a pileup. 
wink.gif

Perhaps James can make the thread when he's ready to document his review.

I'll likely post some ongoing impressions / comparisons, but I'm afraid a full review is probably not going to happen anytime soon. 
redface.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #460 of 663
The FW01 does have fewer parts compared to the FX-1100/1200, mostly due to the difference in damping system employed based on the exploded view of the components. That said, I'm not a fan of the shiny plastic front or the JVC embossed back plate on the FW01. Makes it feel tacky.

I'm also too used to my FX-1200 and don't really find them to be too big or anything. Seriously there are plenty of other IEMs and CIEMs that are way larger than the FX-1100/1200.

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #461 of 663
The old fx serie have been on sale in Thailand by a local chain headphones shop for awhile .It is a 50% sale (local price). So the Fx1200 cost around 230 usd. The first batch of these iems is sold out, but the local headphones shop already have them back in stock now. https://www.munkonggadget.com/product/%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%9F%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%87-JVC01211001_1516.html
(last year, this store sold the JVC Dx2000 for around 290$.) I dont know if they are allowed to sell these fx serie outside Thailand.  

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #463 of 663

wink.gif

Looking forward to your impression sir, as a dynamic driver fan I always was fascinated by the concept of wooden dome driver. 

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #464 of 663
Amazon japan has a great deal on the entire JVC line, I caved and ordered the FW01 for 540 aud which includes shipping with expected delivery by 18/11. It is a great deal! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back