JVC new top tier Wooden IEM : JVC HA FX 1100
Nov 19, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #481 of 663
  UPDATE: I haver over 30 hours of burn in on the FW01. Now that I have more time with the 01 here are some notes:
  1. It requires amps/sources which aren't warm sounding. Pairing it with something like Calyx M/AK120 the bass can be overly lush and long term can be fatiguing. 
  2. It certainly benefits certain genera of music genre over another. Modern music can be overly bass heavy and just sound congested at time. Trance and fast passed music can sometimes overwhelm the driver and it can't keep up.

I hope with more burn in sound becomes less midrange focused. I haven't yet paired it with my other sources/amp but pairing with HUGO was rather positive. I haven't listen enough to make up my mind paired with HUGO but in general HUGO likes warmer sounding gears. 

You might want to try this simple and reversible mod that reduces bass and improves clarity and overall balance:

Step 1: Find some surplus tips made of thin silicone, e.g. Sony hybrid tips:

Step 2: Cut off a small stripe, about 1x7mm:

Step 3: This is the tricky part. Place the stripe alongside the nozzle, so that it protrudes about 1mm at the front end. Hold it carefully in place with your fingertip as you mount the silicone tip.

Step 4: Check the result - it should look like this from the outside.

Step 5: Check the result - it should look like this on the inside. Make sure that the stripe protrudes only a tiny bit at the edge of the nozzle, or else it will diffuse the sound.

Congrats, you've successfully completed the "j444 mod"!
smile_phones.gif

(If you don't have any surplus tips at hand or are simply too lazy to cut stripes, you can always order a pair of genuine high-end "j444" modding stripes from my website for only $99!
wink.gif
)

Edit #1: I thought it was obvious from the pics, but just for clarification: You need to cut the stripe off the cap, not the stem. The latter is too thick for this mod and will result in too much leakage.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #482 of 663
Wow. I tried the FW01 today and the fit is SO much better than my FX1100. Too bad. I wish I could swap mine for the newer model :frowning2:

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #484 of 663
Can someone maybe compare these to the westone um50? I'm looking for something a little different to go along with the um50. Would these just be a side step or a down grade? I've always loved a dynamic Earphone and have used pretty much only BA'S or a hybrid.thanks and happy listening .

Nov 30, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #486 of 663
  Is the cable on the new FW01 the same as the one on the FX1200?

The standard cables are similar enough in spec and quality there really shouldn't be much difference - Both uses MMCX connection. Aesthetic wise there's some minor differences ie. straight vs 90°

I've tested my FX1200 against a few aftermarket "premium" cables and didn't hear anything different. If anything some sounded worse in but that may have to do with the cable connection (over ear types) causing awkward fit than the quality of the cable itself. That said, I do wish they didn't use this fabric weave cables. They get all twisty/loopy and don't handle friction well. 

There's also the "balanced" option which IMPO is pointless. Especially not for that kind of ridiculous price difference, but if you absolutely must have balanced connection, might be worthwhile checking out third party cables and see how they stack up before you jump the gun.

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #487 of 663
I tried to listen to the fw01 in balance out of my Daps, results were not positive. Sound became too forward.

The stock cable is pretty good, I also hear no significant changes in after market cable for this particular iem.

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #488 of 663
I tried to listen to the fw01 in balance out of my Daps, results were not positive. Sound became too forward.

The stock cable is pretty good, I also hear no significant changes in after market cable for this particular iem.

Was that 2.5mm single balanced or dual 3.5mm balanced? The impressions over at AVWatch were positive, but that cable and the amp costs a ton. It's like JVC's version of the PHA-3 and Z5 combo.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #490 of 663
Ever since the sw01 arrived I haven't had much listening sessions withth fw01.

Ignoring the fit comfort issued sw01 is normally the kind of sound I listen to when I just want to relax. Perhaps I like my treble more rolled off (yes I am becoming one of those guys) but honestly it is tinned for jazz and classical music fans.

Both gear take a lot of burning. While I haven't noticed much change in the IEM however on the headphone the bass reduction and treble relaxation is the two obvious things I noticed. While the bass became less forward in the other hand it feels it goes a lot deeper.

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #491 of 663
Ever since the sw01 arrived I haven't had much listening sessions withth fw01.

Ignoring the fit comfort issued sw01 is normally the kind of sound I listen to when I just want to relax. Perhaps I like my treble more rolled off (yes I am becoming one of those guys) but honestly it is tinned for jazz and classical music fans.

Both gear take a lot of burning. While I haven't noticed much change in the IEM however on the headphone the bass reduction and treble relaxation is the two obvious things I noticed. While the bass became less forward in the other hand it feels it goes a lot deeper.
I think you my friend need the audioquest nighthawk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back