JVC new top tier Wooden IEM : JVC HA FX 1100
Oct 14, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #439 of 663
Wow, preorder pricing for the whole range is really good in Singapore when compared to prices in Japan: FW01 at US$400, FW02 at US$286 and FW03 at US$200.

Gotta give them a try tomorrow.

Oct 15, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #441 of 663
I tried these out alongside the fxs, and I find that they're basically the less bassy versions of the fx series. The fxs have massive bass which can cloud the mids, making it sound muddy. The fws have bass that is morethan neutral, but not as much. As a result they sound clearer, and also brighter. Jvc made these for those who likethe uuniquetimbre of their wood earphones but ddon'twant massive bass.

Oct 15, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #442 of 663
I feel that fw01 has smoother treble compared to my fx1200 though. But true with cleaner and tamer low end.

I tried these out alongside the fxs, and I find that they're basically the less bassy versions of the fx series. The fxs have massive bass which can cloud the mids, making it sound muddy. The fws have bass that is morethan neutral, but not as much. As a result they sound clearer, and also brighter. Jvc made these for those who likethe uuniquetimbre of their wood earphones but ddon'twant massive bass.

Oct 15, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #443 of 663

Sounds promising, thanks!
smile_phones.gif

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #444 of 663
I manage to get a good listen to the FW01, 02 and 03. Just a few notes:

FW03's body looks to be smaller in size compared to the 02 and 01, I think the 02 and 01 are the same in time but I didn't do a side-by-side comparison. These guys are huge, probably the same size as the FX series.

As the nozzles are angled, you can only wear them hanging down. And due to their huge sizes, I can foresee them breaking seal or dropping out of my ears easily due to their weight.

The 01 and 02 have removable cables with mmcx plugs, the 03 are non removable.

I've listened to the FX series when they were first released, and that is a long time ago so my sonic memory of them are rusty. However, my general impressions are the same as those above:
(btw, I listened to these with my Sony hybrid tips instead of the default tips because it sounds better on my Sony tips. I suspect they will sound even better with the JVC spiral tips.)

I was pleasantly surprised when I first tried the FW03. I was expecting the typical JVC V shaped sound signature, and warm due to the wood body, like the FX series. While these still have the V shaped sound (heavy bass and great trebles), there is less coloration and less warmth compared to the FX series.

The FW03 is probably the most polite sounding of the 3, with some roll off in the bass and treble regions, hence making it sound more “reference" than the rest. But it doesn't sound like a DD earphones without the subbass.

The FW02 is like the opposite, with the bass and the treble turned way up high. While it was initially addictive head banging to it, it does get fatiguing awfully quick.

The FW01 is undoubtedly the best of the three. It has bass and treble, but controlled unlike the FW02. Many people will probably still find the bass to be too strong, but if you like the JVC sound signature, you won't be bothered by the bass. In fact, you'll probably love it.

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #445 of 663
  I manage to get a good listen to the FW01, 02 and 03. Just a few notes:

FW03's body looks to be smaller in size compared to the 02 and 01, I think the 02 and 01 are the same in time but I didn't do a side-by-side comparison. These guys are huge, probably the same size as the FX series.

As the nozzles are angled, you can only wear them hanging down. And due to their huge sizes, I can foresee them breaking seal or dropping out of my ears easily due to their weight.

The 01 and 02 have removable cables with mmcx plugs, the 03 are non removable.

I've listened to the FX series when they were first released, and that is a long time ago so my sonic memory of them are rusty. However, my general impressions are the same as those above:
(btw, I listened to these with my Sony hybrid tips instead of the default tips because it sounds better on my Sony tips. I suspect they will sound even better with the JVC spiral tips.)

I was pleasantly surprised when I first tried the FW03. I was expecting the typical JVC V shaped sound signature, and warm due to the wood body, like the FX series. While these still have the V shaped sound (heavy bass and great trebles), there is less coloration and less warmth compared to the FX series.

The FW03 is probably the most polite sounding of the 3, with some roll off in the bass and treble regions, hence making it sound more “reference" than the rest. But it doesn't sound like a DD earphones without the subbass.

The FW02 is like the opposite, with the bass and the treble turned way up high. While it was initially addictive head banging to it, it does get fatiguing awfully quick.

The FW01 is undoubtedly the best of the three. It has bass and treble, but controlled unlike the FW02. Many people will probably still find the bass to be too strong, but if you like the JVC sound signature, you won't be bothered by the bass. In fact, you'll probably love it.

Thanks for your comparison! However, at least for the FX series, the bolded part is not true. Actually, to me they're more comfortable and less obtrusive when worn over-ears (without swapping sides).

In other news, I just ordered the FW01 and will compare them to my (stock and modded) FX1100 when I get them.

Oct 15, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #446 of 663

Thanks for your comparison! However, at least for the FX series, the bolded part is not true. Actually, to me they're more comfortable and less obtrusive when worn over-ears (without swapping sides).

In other news, I just ordered the FW01 and will compare them to my (stock and modded) FX1100 when I get them.

Yea I guess it probably depends on the size and shape of your ears.

And you're right! Since the FW01 and 02 have removable cables, I can swap sides so that they are angled "the right side" for over-ear wear.

Oct 15, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #447 of 663

I never have that trouble with my FX 1200. They fit well and stays in my ears even if I'm being physically very active (running and jumping). The only time they broke seal or drop out is when the cable got caught against door handle, corner of desks etc.

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #448 of 663
Only problem with over the ear on the FX1100 is that they look absolutely ridiculous. I wear mine around the city, to work, etc. and I feel like a doofus when I wear them over my ears, however I admit they do feel more secure and even sound a bit better. 

Oct 22, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #449 of 663
Got a HA-FW01 after auditioning it and found it to be an improvement over my HA-FX850 + Mee Audio P1 silver-plated cable combo, in terms of a cleaner treble and more controlled bass. Treble is less harsh, and the bass is tighter, but still possesses energy and fullness (not as much as a stock FX850 though). The FW01 on its stock cables was really clear and had good instrument separation, and the cables had little microphonics.

MMCX HIGH-FIDELITY SILVER-PLATED OFC REPLACEMENT STEREO AUDIO CABLE FOR PINNACLE P1 IN-EAR HEADPHONES: http://www.meeaudio.com/CABLE-MMCX-HE-ZN/

The soundstage on the FW01 (with its stock cable) was spectacular; it matched the FX850 combo I'm using (the P1 cables really expands the soundstage of the FX850s). I tried the FW01 with the P1 cables and holy hell, that soundstage! It became so expansive that it felt almost artificially stretched!

The major drawback of the FW01 was its lack of isolation. I use the largest spiral dot tips that came with my FX850s, and they do a relatively good job of isolating a FX850 (definitely not complete, but good though if you wanna filter out environmental sounds). Yet, when I use them on the FW01, I noticed very vividly that environment sounds were quite noticeable. I was so very disappointed with this, because I use my FX850 combo daily when I commute on the train, and they do a relatively good job of isolation. I tried using smaller spiral dots and foam tips to see if I get a better isolation, but nope, it is the FW01 itself (as far as I can tell). It is for this reason that I sold the FW01 to someone else, and stuck with my back-modded (thanks james444!) FX850 combo. I guess the longer FX850 casing (compared to the FW01) has a role to play in this. Also, a non-modded FX850 has better isolation than the FW01.

Overall, my take on the FW01 is that it is an excellent pair of IEMs, but only if you plan to use them in a quiet environment.

I am now interested in getting a FX1100/1200. Is the isolation on them similar to the FX850s?

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #450 of 663
I tried the FW01 on Friday and my level of amazement was only of mediocre nature. The housings are huge. And I mean huge. In combination with the relatively
short nozzles I did not achieve a proper fit and isolation. Furthermore unfortunately the front end of the housing  is made of cheaply looking plastic.
Also the awkward color markings make no sense. 

Tonally these are decent IEMs but I do not find them an improvement over the FX1100/1200. If you have a chance better buy old stock of the FX1100/1200 imho.

This is my personal opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back