JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Jul 25, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #2,266 of 3,142
  You're not wrong - wearing these cans looks like two half coconut shells stuck to each side of head - I lol'd at myself first time wearing these cans checking them with mirror.

As for anyone else looking to use these wooden earcup wonders in the gym - maybe you could use the already mentioned 3.5m cable as a skipping rope perhaps - lol - but seriously - don't do it or even consider the possibility - it has massive fail written all over it 
wink.gif

skipping rope - that's good! :D

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #2,267 of 3,142
  Hi gents/ladies,

I'm very tempted to order the DX1000 after months of research. I understand the sentiment in this thread about the lack of popularity of JVC's flagship headphones. But in a mad world where Beats headphones are 'the popular' headphones, one should not judge a headphone's quality by its popularity.

I for one did not hear about the JVC's flagship headphones until last year when I started researching them.

I already have a few headphones namely then HD650, Grado SR325i and SR80.

I have never owned a pair of closed headphones but I love the timber sound of the Grados and the airy feel to the music. I also like the Bass they offer. The HD650's were not in the same league despite using an amp to drive them.

I also own a pair of JVC FX800 in ear headphones which i use everyday to work. 

My question to the forum is having been released now for almost 10 years, are the DX1000 still up there with recent releases from other manufacturers? If so, which ones are a match to them especially in the deep deep Bass department and timber sound feel.

I listen to all types of music particularly EDM and my budget is around  £500 to £600 max or $1000.

Many thanks.

Are the DX1000 still up there?

The very existence of this thread being relevant to so many of its owners now and today gives you your answer.

I regard the DX1000 as a "audiophile" basshead type headphone, similar to Fostex TH600 only less reference detail but more forgiving which equates to a very fun sound for my ears 
cool.gif

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #2,268 of 3,142

This is the moment when a pic tells more than a 1000 words :wink:

Well if your intention is to show how big they really are then NO, this picture fails(although they do show off it's beauty). Even though I own the DX1000's the above image to me at least looks like a normal sized set of phones. The first time I took then out of the box I thought.....what have I done, they are really that big. After listening to them I was transported to another galaxy far, far away and the rest as they say is history.

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #2,269 of 3,142
  You're not wrong - wearing these cans looks like two half coconut shells stuck to each side of head - I lol'd at myself first time wearing these cans checking them with mirror.

As for anyone else looking to use these wooden earcup wonders in the gym - maybe you could use the already mentioned 3.5m cable as a skipping rope perhaps - lol - but seriously - don't do it or even consider the possibility - it has massive fail written all over it 
wink.gif

then this could look better on you then

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #2,271 of 3,142
I know this thread has been going a while, but I'll just add my appreciation for the DX1000s.

I finally arrived with them after a long journey through the cans which are hopefully showing up in my signature.  My amp is currently a Phonitor, which is considered very neutral and analytical.  When combined with cans which share the same characteristics (e.g. HD800), music just sounded sterile and uninvolving to my ears. 

I figured that combining wooden backed closed 'phones with the Phonitor may work, the amp hopefully moderating the coloration which many closed cans appear to have.  When the DX1000s arrived, I was immediately impressed.  They had a fullness and richness to the sound which had been lacking in the other 'phones I'd tried.  Toe-tapping 'phones, basically.  Plus the soundstage is impressive. 

The only issue I found with them, as has been reported elsewhere, is the slightly coloured mid range.  Something wasn't quite right on particular tracks with guitar-led music (e.g. Arctic Monkeys R U Mine, one of my reference tracks). 

I'd read somewhere that a DX1000 owner had dealt with this successfully by replacing the stock cable with a higher quality copper one, in that case the Aphrodite Zeus cable (OCC Copper 4 x 22 awg).  I'm in the UK, and wanted an EU-based re-cabler.  I knew that Forza Audioworks in Poland offered a Copper HPC Mark 2 extra bass cable (20 awg), so I sent the 'phones to Matthew at Forza for re-cabling. 

They've been back for a few weeks now, and I'm very pleased (equally pleased with Forza's service, which I've posted about in the appropriate thread). The new cable entirely removes the mid range colouration which was an issue before.  The tracks (like the Arctic Monkeys one) which caused me to wince slightly before the upgrade now sound superb, and after a long headphone journey I've reached the point where the DX1000s are definitely keepers for the long term.  I am very, very pleased with them, and I find that they match very well with my Phonitor.  

Just my thoughts. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #2,272 of 3,142
  I know this thread has been going a while, but I'll just add my appreciation for the DX1000s.

I finally arrived with them after a long journey through the cans which are hopefully showing up in my signature.  My amp is currently a Phonitor, which is considered very neutral and analytical.  When combined with cans which share the same characteristics (e.g. HD800), music just sounded sterile and uninvolving to my ears. 

I figured that combining wooden backed closed 'phones with the Phonitor may work, the amp hopefully moderating the coloration which many closed cans appear to have.  When the DX1000s arrived, I was immediately impressed.  They had a fullness and richness to the sound which had been lacking in the other 'phones I'd tried.  Toe-tapping 'phones, basically.  Plus the soundstage is impressive. 

The only issue I found with them, as has been reported elsewhere, is the slightly coloured mid range.  Something wasn't quite right on particular tracks with guitar-led music (e.g. Arctic Monkeys R U Mine, one of my reference tracks). 

I'd read somewhere that a DX1000 owner had dealt with this successfully by replacing the stock cable with a higher quality copper one, in that case the Aphrodite Zeus cable (OCC Copper 4 x 22 awg).  I'm in the UK, and wanted an EU-based re-cabler.  I knew that Forza Audioworks in Poland offered a Copper HPC Mark 2 extra bass cable (20 awg), so I sent the 'phones to Matthew at Forza for re-cabling. 

They've been back for a few weeks now, and I'm very pleased (equally pleased with Forza's service, which I've posted about in the appropriate thread). The new cable entirely removes the mid range colouration which was an issue before.  The tracks (like the Arctic Monkeys one) which caused me to wince slightly before the upgrade now sound superb, and after a long headphone journey I've reached the point where the DX1000s are definitely keepers for the long term.  I am very, very pleased with them, and I find that they match very well with my Phonitor.  

Just my thoughts. 

Your thoughts are appreciated! So the solution would be copper cables...

Any chance for a pic of your rig? :p

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #2,273 of 3,142
Ditto on your welcomed impressions. I have heard about the Phonitor and it would seem that they would balance well with the DX1000, now it's been confirmed.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #2,274 of 3,142

Just my thoughts. 

among other headphones i´ve had, has always been my favourite.
tried(always in balancing mode) with two different norseaudiocable, in the end i preferred the stock cable(of course in my rig)

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #2,275 of 3,142
hi all,

I received my DX1000 3 weeks ago now, I've had about 20 hours on them. I've paired them with 4 amps, yes four turned up to maximum on high gain. But I still feel it needs more amping. I can feel the bass so much though that the air pressure is making the headphones vibrate like mad. I listen to music at extremely loud level.

I thought these headphones would be easy to drive but they actually need a few powerful amps to drive them.

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #2,276 of 3,142
Wonder how a nice powerful Pioneer vintage receiver would do???

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #2,277 of 3,142
No need to buy a new amp. If you continue to listen that loudly you won't be able to hear well very soon anyway.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #2,279 of 3,142
As my discription in 600 thread, they have tighter cleaner bass all be it lower in respective volume but they are more mid forward and smoother in the top end with little fatigue. The dx are more neutral to my ears with a airy delicate feel which is distinctly " audiophile" , the 600 are smiley faced in signature and more impact full/ in your face, i found them to harsh/bright and thin sounding because of the recessed mids. the denon d600 sounds similar and a no brainier cost wise if you want that sound signature, I almost prefer them.

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #2,280 of 3,142
I thought these headphones would be easy to drive but they actually need a few powerful amps to drive them.

I feel sorry for you, you'll be deaf before you get your hands on your amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back