JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #1,516 of 4,826
  Whats your source? If you have a good source, a DAC might not be really necessary especially as a portable.

@gikigill My source is a Galaxy S4 phone. I was considering purchasing a DAP, most likely the X5, but I like the idea of using my phone for my portable setup. I like that I upgrade my phone every two years or so, and I would not be able to afford to buy a new DAP every two years. Unless you mean what are my source files? I am still quite new to head-fi. Albums that I ripped years ago are average quality MP3s and everything I ripped in the last year are Apple lossless files. Do you think I would notice the benefit of using a USB DAC like the new Dragonfly v1.2 or the Epiphany Acoustics E-DAC?

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #1,517 of 4,826
  but but I was about to buy the E12 until is saw this. WHAT? EXPLAIN!

The C5 is amazing. My only other experience with an amp is the Fiio E06 and the C5 is lightyears ahead of that. It is fairly new and seems to be in direct competition to the E12. Both are priced about the same, in UK prices at least, both only function as amps, and they are both powerhouses. Most comments I have read are from people saying that the E12 sounds congested by comparison, but some have said that they like both equally but for different reasons. I would live to hear the E12 for myself, but I am very impressed with the C5.

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #1,518 of 4,826
@gikigill
 My source is a Galaxy S4 phone. I was considering purchasing a DAP, most likely the X5, but I like the idea of using my phone for my portable setup. I like that I upgrade my phone every two years or so, and I would not be able to afford to buy a new DAP every two years. Unless you mean what are my source files? I am still quite new to head-fi. Albums that I ripped years ago are average quality MP3s and everything I ripped in the last year are Apple lossless files. Do you think I would notice the benefit of using a USB DAC like the new Dragonfly v1.2 or the Epiphany Acoustics E-DAC?

On a portable setup you might not notice that much of a difference but on a desktop you surely will.

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,519 of 4,826
So I am wanting to use these in class and I was wondering if the hm-5 pads or the alpha pads are a better seal, also I heard the hm-5 pads take away impact, but bring in a louder bass since it is a good seal.  Do the alpha's do the same?

Nov 15, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #1,520 of 4,826
  So I am wanting to use these in class and I was wondering if the hm-5 pads or the alpha pads are a better seal, also I heard the hm-5 pads take away impact, but bring in a louder bass since it is a good seal.  Do the alpha's do the same?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661129/jvc-ha-sz2000-1000-impressions-thread/1380#post_10953721

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #1,522 of 4,826
I am very disappointed with the build quality of SZ2000:

mad.gif

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,523 of 4,826

mad.gif

Looks more like user error to me... ...
Why do people get disappointed when THEY break stuff is beyond me... 
None of my headphones (even the Shures SRH940s which seem to be fragile to a lot of people nor my Denon's) failed...

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,524 of 4,826

None of my headphones (even the Shures SRH940s which seem to be fragile to a lot of people nor my Denon's) failed...

My SZ2k are portable and I take them out all the time.
They have no scratches.
They have no problems.
People break headphones. They don't break themselves.
I have never broke any of mine.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,526 of 4,826

Yea I agree with gelocks. I thinks it was your problem not the build quality. Sure the cups move side to side a little but I know not to move them all the way back around so it won't break. It seems you need to be a little gentle with the cups so it won't break and I think you were a little not so gentle. 

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #1,529 of 4,826

mad.gif

Yea I agree with gelocks. I thinks it was your problem not the build quality. Sure the cups move side to side a little but I know not to move them all the way back around so it won't break. It seems you need to be a little gentle with the cups so it won't break and I think you were a little not so gentle. 

That actually is a quality problem. I had the same issue with my headphones. That doesn't happen when you rotate the cups, but for the force that the headband applies to the head (it doesn't help that bigger pads have more issues with it than other pads). The piece that supports the whole cup inside the hinge is made from cheap plastic, and it's very, VERY fragile for a 300 bucks headphone.

In my case, i have replaced both pieces (because both broke out of nowhere, it's not like i run around kicking my SZ2k), and i'm about to replace the whole internal wiring system, because i've been having issues with the left side losing power. So far, i've been content with the performance of the headphone, but the materials are lacking in the important parts, i hope JVC deals with this on their next models of the SZ2000 (if they ever make one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back