JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
May 21, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #916 of 4,826
No the M-100 would sound better without any adjustment. 

These (SZ) are for folks who use amps and  love solid backbone to their Funk,Rock, Hip Hop or whatever. 
End game bass with rubber band eq ability. Needs lots of juice. 

You wanna have bass and not bother folks ? The SMS DJ PRO in that vid will seal better (maybe best passive noise cancelation on any cans) and has a "fun" signature like the M-100 and eats more amp (more bass).

Go read a review of the SMS DJ PRO. The most anti celebrity celebrity can ever. Very nice musical reproduction regardless of genre'      

Can you resize that big yellow pony...please:wink:  
nah. I'll stick with sz2000's then. If they don't slam and make your eyes water, what's the point of all that extra bass? :D plus, I stay away from headphones everyone knows about like beats etc. I don't like ANC, and I think that sz2000's are a much better choice. I just wanted to know if they'll sound good, and you confirmed it in a different way. A rubber band with an eq... That's awesome! I'll be able to mold them to anything I want! Great! And, my main use for them will be slam just so you know... And, what did you mean by resize it"

May 21, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #917 of 4,826
I am way too bias.
I cannot give an accurate and honest evaluation anymore.
I love epic bass and the SZ give me that. I can play anything with an eq adjustment and pump as much bass as my head can handle.
When you love your cans you lose perspective.
I'm in love with the bass and the cans. I cannot be objective anymore.

May 21, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #918 of 4,826
I am way too bias.
I cannot give an accurate and honest evaluation anymore.
I love epic bass and the SZ give me that. I can play anything with an eq adjustment and pump as much bass as my head can handle.
When you love your cans you lose perspective.
I'm in love with the bass and the cans. I cannot be objective anymore.
the data you've compiled is being objective for you.

May 21, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #919 of 4,826
God damn, yesterday the sz2000 were 239$ with free shipping and today they're already 289$ - not nice...

May 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #920 of 4,826
  God damn, yesterday the sz2000 were 239$ with free shipping and today they're already 289$ - not nice...

I got lucky as hell then, got both mine for $239 and they've already shipped.

May 21, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #921 of 4,826

You should absolutely add the Beyer DT 770 velour pads, as I did, it is worth it. Mine were 24€ in Germany.

May 21, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #922 of 4,826
Agreed...stock pads are ****.
mad.gif

May 22, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #923 of 4,826
Hey guys,

I ordered from Japan and having shipped though Tenso. Tenso just shipped them yesterday evening, so I realize these cans needs different pads.
I have combed this thread from start to finish twice to make sure I caught everything, but no one has really gave any specific info on how the different types of pads sound, particularly in comparing the HM5 pads versus the Beyer velors.
Could someone give some specific details on how these differ with regard to sound?
Advantages/disadvantages of velor?
Advantages/disadvantages of pleather?

Thanks.

May 22, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #924 of 4,826
I only have the Beyer velour pads. Pleather is a sweaty thing in summer. My pads isolate very good, much better than the stock pads. Bass gets bigger, mids begin to exist and even the treble are now there, but still a bit veiled. And if you turn up the bass enough, these pads make your skull vibrate......

May 22, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #925 of 4,826
I only have the Beyer velour pads. Pleather is a sweaty thing in summer. My pads isolate very good, much better than the stock pads. Bass gets bigger, mids begin to exist and even the treble are now there, but still a bit veiled. And if you turn up the bass enough, these pads make your skull vibrate......

Yeah, I was hoping to get some more info on how much of this veil is lifted via velor vs pleather, which type has better effect on bass, which type has better isolation.  Though you certainly make a good point on pleather being sweaty.  Which type is more comfortable?  Which type would give more space between driver and ear?

Sorry if any of these questions seem noobish, but I have been an IEM-only user since they pretty much started becoming popular.  The last time I used full-size cans was like the year 2000, and then it wasn't to listen to music, but to play around with DAW software.

I will not be using these as portable cans, so I don't know how much sweat might be an issue.

May 22, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #926 of 4,826
  Yeah, I was hoping to get some more info on how much of this veil is lifted via velor vs pleather, which type has better effect on bass, which type has better isolation.  Though you certainly make a good point on pleather being sweaty.  Which type is more comfortable?  Which type would give more space between driver and ear?

Sorry if any of these questions seem noobish, but I have been an IEM-only user since they pretty much started becoming popular.  The last time I used full-size cans was like the year 2000, and then it wasn't to listen to music, but to play around with DAW software.

I will not be using these as portable cans, so I don't know how much sweat might be an issue.

ask @intlsubband  he has tried HM5 and Alpha pads in addition to pietrux and the velour

These are Bass first cans. 
You will never need as much bass as these can provide. They are not Audiophile cans. Most on here have another pair for that.
These are for..."I feel like putting the bassist up front/add extra backbone to ( _______ )"

If you are allergic to an eq or think doing that is not what you want cancel your order (remember I said this) 
These are my fave's but I listen to low end heavy music and I like tweaking the eq.
If that sounds like a pain in the ass then cancel.
If you like bass though and a sig that can be opened (JVC all have a veil) but can be lifted to some extent...if you like eq tweaking, amping and bass holding the music up you will love these. If they are your one and only cans for all music you won't...IMO.

These are my ....well my hunt is over. I don't shop for cans anymore except to test. My personal hunger for bass good quality epic bass has been nourished.

All the pads besides stock that raise that damn cage off your ear helps the mids and highs a lot.
Firm pleather for bass impact is my basshead choice
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #927 of 4,826
Like I said, I read this completely twice now, so I realize the need for EQ.
I have never been against it, I enjoy tweaking. My active setup I installed in my last car was some of the most fun I have ever had always tweaking it. At least it gave me something to do during mostly stop and little go traffic in Japan.

May 22, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #928 of 4,826
Im recently becoming more and more of a basshead. I was curious about the JVC from the beginning and finally ordered one when they became avaible locally for 250 Euro. These will be a nice complement to the ultra clear FSP which i also love. Shipping time is 5 days however...

May 22, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #929 of 4,826

From all that I tried, the HM5 pads are definitely the way to go IMHO, they offer better comfort and isolation. I don't think that it changes the sound very dramatically though, it makes them less fatiguing that's for sure. t doesn't really lift "the veil" very much though. All in all, this are definitely dark/ veiled headphones.

May 22, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #930 of 4,826
OK, here's a mini review for all those who are interested in these headphones but don't listen predominantly/ mostly to hip-hop.

I listen to quite a few different genres, so I thought I'll add my 2c. I got interested in the JVCs because I wanted to add a good bassy headphone to my collection, I have some very good headphones which I thoroughly enjoy, but none of them have that real thumping bass that I want every now and then. I stumbled across this thread, and the curiosity-to-price ration was enough to let the curiosity win and I ordered these from amazon.

Listening setup: At home: Laptop -> Tubemagic D1 dac -> Meier Audio Corda Concerto. On the go: ipod -> v-moda Vamp Verza.

First listen out of the box with stock pads, I was surprised that these sounded quite nice throughout the scale. Once I played around with the pads, the HM5 pads were deemed the best fit (Alpha Pads slightly too big and don't form sufficient isolation, 770 pads too firm for my taste). 

These headphones are really great at giving you a feel for the bass. I have other headphones in which the bass is very articulate, yet doesn't really kick very strongly. On the ATH-W5000 and the Alessandro Alumod/ MS1000 (modded MS1), the bass is very articulate, but really lacks any true punch. It is like admiring it from a distance. Both of these headphones articulate the highs beautifully, and in that department, the JVC has little to offer. The JVC's still have some sparkle in the highs, but overall, the mids and highs are quite veiled, and a bit grainy. Even my darker sounding headphones (Mad Dogs 3.2, HD650) still have clearer highs than the JVC's.

These are definitely dark-sounding headphones. Listening to these headphones really feels like listening to a concert in a club with a really good sound system. The bass is full, rich, and pumping (on properly recorded tracks). The club is dark and smokey, so you can't see the band on stage very clearly, but the sound is very immersive.. and really, who can concentrate on the fine details of the music when you're dancing and having a ball?

The bass... it's fantastic. It gives a new dimension to it, which is often missing in other headphones. On these, I mostly listen to rock, funk, and soul. These headphones are great at revealing good (and bad) music engineering - they can really reveal whether the bass is recorded properly or not. Before getting these, there were some songs/ albums that I was particularly looking forward to listening to - and some of them disappointed, as it was revealed that their bass isn't recorded well enough to produce true punch from these headphones. Some other albums however surprised with the power and quality of their recorded bass.

Here are some examples of rock/ funk tracks which I think bring the best out of these headphones. Please note that, for best impact, listen to a high-quality source rather than the youtube links below, but these would give you a rough idea:

Aerosmith's Living On The Edge has some very good quality bass sound, the drums really kick throughout the whole Get A Grip album. On this song in particular, around the 3:30 mark, there is a real thunderous sound of drums that I always use to test the bass limits of headphones. Some headphones fail miserably at this test - the JVC's are marvelous at this, the whole headphones vibrate and the sound is huge.

Parliament/ Funkadelic are what I listen to more than anything on these headphones, for a complete club-like feeling. My idea of a party, and these are definitely party headphones. This track is also good to showcase that the JVC can even have some nice sparkle on the highs on the right track.

The Black Crowes' Virtue & Vice has very nice thunderous intro, which is another track I use to test bassiness of headphones.

This recording from Humble Pie is just spectacular, and is probably the only track here that sounds better on this particular youtube version than the album version (the album Eat It is quite controvertial due to its sub-par sound recording - which is very unfortunate, as it has some truly great music). Bass player Gregg Ridley is featured here.

The Who - Live At Leeds album. Features perhaps the bass bass/drum duo in classic rock. This album might be my favorite sounding live album, and the bass just sounds truly spectacular with the JVC's. You can just focus on John Entwistle's utter brilliance. 

To conclude, I would definitely recommend these as a special-missions headphones for all people who enjoy some bass every now and again. Personally I disagree that these are strictly for hip-hop, but keep in mind that these will reveal which albums recorded their bass properly and which didn't. I wouldn't recommend them as your only set, but would strongly recommend them as a party headphones for those who, once in a blue moon, have ants in their pants and they need to dance (in the comfort of their homes...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back