JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #4,426 of 4,826
$90 seems not too much if you think about what you can get out of your broken one:

4 working drivers
Headband
Pads
driver housing
cable
and some more small but important parts

Unfortunately not for me - as you say it's a question of distance...

The current list of Top 10 Bass phones should answer your question. There exists nothing that replaces the 2000 100%, IMHO.

Feb 5, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #4,427 of 4,826
These can disassemble quite well.
I did mine on one side when I was investigating options for the repair. You could disassemble and run new wire through *fairly* easily. There is some glue stuff holding the 55mm enclosure that was a little tedious.

Nothing to lose now though!

So my friend and I used some JB Weld poorly .. turns out it didn't set very well, so i tried to scrape it off to re-apply this morning with a chisel, and ... totally owned the cable :triportsad:

I'm not really willing to pay the money people are asking for these, so i guess my sz2000 era is over for now!!!!!!!!

what to buy next is the question :k701smile:

ulq5x3yl.c2c.jpg

Feb 5, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #4,428 of 4,826
Given that I live in New Zealand, shipping to most of the world wouldn't be cheap... $50usd i imagine.

Happy to sell them to anyone interested for $90USD + shipping :D

The real question is ... now what to buy to satisfy my bass needs:triportsad:

I just wanted to let you know that I am really sorry that happened to you Reaper. :frowning2: I personally don't like what JVC did to all of us. I realize that they can do whatever they want with their own company, its not that. Its just, when you build a fanbase because of a product you make that is highly coveted by baseheads, and then rip that product out of our hands, it feels like betrayal is all I am saying. A lot of these companies started with awesome business models, JVC is one of the worlds renouned companies that was popular back when you had Pioneer and Kennwood stereo home receivers! But alas, as what happens to most companies, they become sell outs over greed, and then their business models change. I am hoping that another company comes out with a set of cans that rival the SZ series. I know for a fact that Sony has a 72mm model I believe, those are huge drivers if you think about it, I wonder how they sound in comparison to the SZ series from JVC? Anyone who has access to those Sony can's with the huge drivers, please do a comparison for us on the Headfi forum, much would be appreciated.

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #4,429 of 4,826
I just wanted to let you know that I am really sorry that happened to you Reaper. :frowning2: I personally don't like what JVC did to all of us. I realize that they can do whatever they want with their own company, its not that. Its just, when you build a fanbase because of a product you make that is highly coveted by baseheads, and then rip that product out of our hands, it feels like betrayal is all I am saying. A lot of these companies started with awesome business models, JVC is one of the worlds renouned companies that was popular back when you had Pioneer and Kennwood stereo home receivers! But alas, as what happens to most companies, they become sell outs over greed, and then their business models change. I am hoping that another company comes out with a set of cans that rival the SZ series. I know for a fact that Sony has a 72mm model I believe, those are huge drivers if you think about it, I wonder how they sound in comparison to the SZ series from JVC? Anyone who has access to those Sony can's with the huge drivers, please do a comparison for us on the Headfi forum, much would be appreciated.

Hello StarTreker, i'm new to the forum and to the audiophile world. i'm really in the learning process, but i have the sz2000, the sony z7 and z1r (i fell off the audiophile cliff). the sz2000 it's really a unique sounding bass cannon headphone, i really like the slam/punch that they produce (and i only pair it with the fiio e12), but the equalization it's a work of patience, and also the portability issue due to it weight. the sony z7 have a good bass too imo, but sometimes when they reach sub bass frequencies, there is a rattle sound that comes from the driver. i read that some pairs don't have that problem, but mine does, so i keep it to "bassy" level. you can make them shake to some extend, but not nearly as close the sz2000. the sony z1r don't shake, even with the same equalization of the sz2000 bass boosted with the e12. they are not for that, they are closed back headphones with a lot of soundstage and therapeutic laid back sound. i love the sound signature of the z1r, but others hate it, it's a matter of personal taste, just as the sz2000. hope this help you in some degree. Saludos!

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #4,430 of 4,826
Hello StarTreker, i'm new to the forum and to the audiophile world. i'm really in the learning process, but i have the sz2000, the sony z7 and z1r (i fell off the audiophile cliff). the sz2000 it's really a unique sounding bass cannon headphone, i really like the slam/punch that they produce (and i only pair it with the fiio e12), but the equalization it's a work of patience, and also the portability issue due to it weight. the sony z7 have a good bass too imo, but sometimes when they reach sub bass frequencies, there is a rattle sound that comes from the driver. i read that some pairs don't have that problem, but mine does, so i keep it to "bassy" level. you can make them shake to some extend, but not nearly as close the sz2000. the sony z1r don't shake, even with the same equalization of the sz2000 bass boosted with the e12. they are not for that, they are closed back headphones with a lot of soundstage and therapeutic laid back sound. i love the sound signature of the z1r, but others hate it, it's a matter of personal taste, just as the sz2000. hope this help you in some degree. Saludos!

I would like to get the Fiio E12 amp as an upgrade to my current Fiio A3 amp. But for some reason, they are no longer selling the black version on Amazon. They are selling some IEM special silver Fiio E12 amp, and I don't want anything for IEM's, since I don't use those. So I am not exactly sure whats going on. Has Fiio already abandaned their E12 amp, even though its probably the most successful one? I would prefer to buy it on Amazon cause I have Prime and it just makes sense. I don't want to over pay for used models, and yes I consider 120 dollars too much for used. Why just a year ago they were selling for 120 dollars brand new!

Feb 6, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #4,431 of 4,826
I would like to get the Fiio E12 amp as an upgrade to my current Fiio A3 amp. But for some reason, they are no longer selling the black version on Amazon. They are selling some IEM special silver Fiio E12 amp, and I don't want anything for IEM's, since I don't use those. So I am not exactly sure whats going on. Has Fiio already abandaned their E12 amp, even though its probably the most successful one? I would prefer to buy it on Amazon cause I have Prime and it just makes sense. I don't want to over pay for used models, and yes I consider 120 dollars too much for used. Why just a year ago they were selling for 120 dollars brand new!

They discontinued the e12, due to the newest one, the A5, currently at 130$ new, here's the fiio product page http://www.fiio.net/en/products/59/comparisons , so you can see the difference in power, battery and other technical nuances, i read that the a5 is a combination of the e12 power with the e12a (iem) more refined opamp, so they could be a nice upgrade from the a3. Saludos!

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #4,434 of 4,826
I have a pair of sz2000 but one earcup is broken because someone stepped on it! Where can I go to get it fixed?
There is no place to get them fixed. They are imported from Japan, and JVC no longer supports the product, as they are no longer being made. They are about to become more rare then they ever were. The only stock to buy of them no is left over stock on websites. Which as you guessed, basic economics, supply and demand, the cost of those are through the roof! If its broke, either you fix it yourself, or buy new cans.

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #4,435 of 4,826
There is no place to get them fixed. They are imported from Japan, and JVC no longer supports the product, as they are no longer being made. They are about to become more rare then they ever were. The only stock to buy of them no is left over stock on websites. Which as you guessed, basic economics, supply and demand, the cost of those are through the roof! If its broke, either you fix it yourself, or buy new cans.

any feedback on this website? think they can fix them? https://www.fixheadphones.com/

Mar 12, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #4,437 of 4,826
These can disassemble quite well.
I did mine on one side when I was investigating options for the repair. You could disassemble and run new wire through *fairly* easily. There is some glue stuff holding the 55mm enclosure that was a little tedious.

Nothing to lose now though!

If i had a busted set to play with, I would experiment by replacing the carbon nanotube driver with the AKG 30mm :D. Though I am happy with the CNT 30mm which sound great after all this burn in (same with the old s500/40mm) , it's midrange doesn't reach level of the AKG 30mm. I would think only the 171/172 drivers since they are from closed cups would have a chance :D

Mar 12, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #4,438 of 4,826
HERE is their page on the Better Business Bureau site. B- with 26 complaints, I'd read those before deciding to use them.

Did you try the round sheeps? Or did you go with something else. IIRC someone slapped the alphas on em.Was it you? If yes, was it better than hm5 sheeps/ Which animal is alpha pads?
Gonna be getting some XL round sheeps to try, even though have the reg sheeps on em atm on the sz1k.
:D Otherwise will slap them on another can (maybe the xb1k). Can never go wrong with an extra set of sheeps i say

sheeple-tv2.jpg

Mar 12, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #4,439 of 4,826
Did you try the round sheeps? Or did you go with something else. IIRC someone slapped the alphas on em.Was it you? If yes, was it better than hm5 sheeps/ Which animal is alpha pads?
Gonna be getting some XL round sheeps to try, even though have the reg sheeps on em atm on the sz1k.
:D Otherwise will slap them on another can (maybe the xb1k). Can never go wrong with an extra set of sheeps i say

I never did end up buying the XL round sheeps, I tried a pair of MrSpeakers Lambskin Alpha Pads and some ZMF Calfskin Oval pads alongside my original HM5 Sheepskins. The Alpha pads were endgame for me on the JVC, ridiculously comfortable.

Let me know how you find the XL HM5 Sheepskins in comparison to the original Sheepskins, I'm curious.

Alpha pads on the phones, HM5 in the middle, ZMF on the right.

HM5

ZMF

Alphas

Alphas

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #4,440 of 4,826
Those Alpha's are big boys! :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back