JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #4,411 of 4,826
Great, thanks for the feedback guys :) It seems JB Weld products are pretty common here in New Zealand, so i'll head to the hardware store in the weekend ...

@slipudatung good advice regarding angling it, I'll see how the unbroken one fits on my head and base it on that!

:frowning2: I miss the bass already when out walking

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #4,412 of 4,826
One minute your drinking beer, and having lots of fun at the party. Next minute you realize you drank too much and your personality snaps, you actually feel it in your head, so you know this is serious. You then realize your can's snapped, and there goes your soul. In an desperate attempt to save your sanity, you glue can's back, so that you can continue your head banging and bass pounding personality. :p

LOL!

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #4,413 of 4,826
I'm in NZ too!

Got my stuff from super cheap auto for about 18 bucks. Couldn't find jbweld in a shop! Online I could but couldn't hold out for the bass haha

Great, thanks for the feedback guys :) It seems JB Weld products are pretty common here in New Zealand, so i'll head to the hardware store in the weekend ...

@slipudatung good advice regarding angling it, I'll see how the unbroken one fits on my head and base it on that!

:frowning2: I miss the bass already when out walking

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #4,415 of 4,826
I'm in Auckland! My sz2k are my daily drivers and I'm often roaming the waterfront jamming them.

I got this stuff. Didn't need a whole lot but the remainder is great for fixing kids toys haha (sorry for large image)
20180123_165459.jpg

AWESOME ! <3 NZ .. I'm in Wellington, how about you ?

Which product did you get exactly, if you still know ? :)

Jan 24, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #4,417 of 4,826
I've been using HM5 sheepskin non-angled pads on my SZ2k, but I've been wanting to try some good angled pads. So I got my hands on a pair of MrSpeakers Alpha Pads, and some ZMF Calfskin Oval pads to compare to my HM5's. I'm glad I did. The ZMF ovals went on easy enough, were pretty comfortable, and added some nice midrange and treble plus a bit of width to the sound stage. However, they took away a bit too much bass for my liking. Then I put on the Alpha Pads and the game was changed for me. The mids and highs were a drastic improvement, and the SZ had a wide and deep sound stage for the first time. But what made the pads the best choice for me is that no bass was lost at all, I still felt every hit. Plus, they are far and away the most comfortable pads I've ever put on the JVC. To sum it up, if you can get your hands on them, try the MrSpeakers Alpa Pads on your SZ2k/1k, you won't be sorry.

My JVC with the Alpha pads on, the HM5 in the middle, and the ZMF pads on the right.

HM5 pads

ZMF Pads

The back of the Alpha pads

The inside depth of the Alphas
How good are the alpha pads compared to the M55X pads? I have some comfort issues with the M55X pads. The Micro iDSD Black Label has been crushing my skull lately...

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #4,419 of 4,826
How good are the alpha pads compared to the M55X pads? I have some comfort issues with the M55X pads. The Micro iDSD Black Label has been crushing my skull lately...

I've never used the M55x pads, I went right to HM5 pleathers when I got my SZ2k. But as far as comfort goes, you can look at the M55x pads and then look at the big squishy Alpha pads and see that the Alphas are like wearing pillows.

Jan 25, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #4,420 of 4,826
The stuff from Permatex is practically the same stuff as JB Welled. But please try to not get any of that Permatex on you, its not easy to get off, and bad for your health.

Jan 25, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #4,421 of 4,826
I got confirmation. The whole HA-SZ series is no longer existing. Current stock is sold from ruthless dealers at partly extreme prices (up to 1,000 USD) on ebay. Spare parts do not exist as JVC world-wide refuses to provide those for headphones. (Amazing. How does this work with countries that have detailed and good consumer laws?).

So that's the end of this story. The King is dead.

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #4,422 of 4,826
To find a set of can's that are as good as these JVC's, you must look for cans with at least 55mm drivers. Weather or not they are Kelton Nano Tube drivers or not, generally a 55mm driver or larger, will provide tons of bass in them. So now is a good time for us bassheads, to start discussing other large closed back cans, so as to help us discover the new kings! Also, it might be a good idea to no longer rely on JVC for audio gear. JVC has already proven that they are incapable of marketing their audio gear to the right crowd. Because of their incompetence, the JVC HA series of cans were not popular at all, and fell through the cracks, like a good sci fi show.

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #4,423 of 4,826
So my friend and I used some JB Weld poorly .. turns out it didn't set very well, so i tried to scrape it off to re-apply this morning with a chisel, and ... totally owned the cable :triportsad:

I'm not really willing to pay the money people are asking for these, so i guess my sz2000 era is over for now!!!!!!!!

what to buy next is the question :k701smile:

ulq5x3yl.c2c.jpg

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #4,424 of 4,826
In Japan JVC offers no spare parts (like in the rest of the world), but an exchange service. You pay 20,000 Yen and get a new one. Problem ist that price is higher than the sales price over the last 2 years (around 17,900), and you loose your broken one, which otherwise would be a perfect spare part supplier. JVC really totally sucks.

IMHO you will be able to sell your broken one for exactly that use case - as spare part collection for people needing such!

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #4,425 of 4,826
In Japan JVC offers no spare parts (like in the rest of the world), but an exchange service. You pay 20,000 Yen and get a new one. Problem ist that price is higher than the sales price over the last 2 years (around 17,900), and you loose your broken one, which otherwise would be a perfect spare part supplier. JVC really totally sucks.

IMHO you will be able to sell your broken one for exactly that use case - as spare part collection for people needing such!

Given that I live in New Zealand, shipping to most of the world wouldn't be cheap... $50usd i imagine.

Happy to sell them to anyone interested for $90USD + shipping :D

The real question is ... now what to buy to satisfy my bass needs:triportsad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back