JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #4,396 of 4,826
Checking back in with you bassheads... just modded my HA-SZ2000's with 2x 2.5mm jacks so that I can run these to my Master 9 in balanced mode for even more power delivery. These are still my most _FUN_ headphones. :)

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #4,397 of 4,826
Dec 3, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #4,398 of 4,826
Decided to swap the main cables out from my SZ1000. Changed the sound character nicely. Bass is tight. Subbass is a bit different. Mids increased. Highs a bit smoother.

But it seems I need to double up on the cables to get the deep subbass back. But I'm driving these in balance mode and really enjoying the "new" sound.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #4,399 of 4,826
Decided to swap the main cables out from my SZ1000. Changed the sound character nicely. Bass is tight. Subbass is a bit different. Mids increased. Highs a bit smoother.

But it seems I need to double up on the cables to get the deep subbass back. But I'm driving these in balance mode and really enjoying the "new" sound.

Those were some awesome pictures you posted, I love it when people go the extra mile to show off their work. I do hope however that you waited for the warranty to be over before doing that, cause if there is one thing that will surely void the warranty, its that lol. The major thing I need to do with my cans is replace the pads. I haven't looked at the box in awhile so I forget what the warranty period is for these cans, hopefully the warranty is over for mine.

BTW: I just checked on JVC's website, and I can't even find the legendary SZ1000 and SZ2000 cans listed. Have they really come and gone that fast? They still sell the extremes with the 50mm drivers, but even those arn't as good as what we have bought. As far as I can tell, there is no proper replacement on their website, what gives?
http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathId=210

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #4,400 of 4,826
Those were some awesome pictures you posted, I love it when people go the extra mile to show off their work. I do hope however that you waited for the warranty to be over before doing that, cause if there is one thing that will surely void the warranty, its that lol. The major thing I need to do with my cans is replace the pads. I haven't looked at the box in awhile so I forget what the warranty period is for these cans, hopefully the warranty is over for mine.

BTW: I just checked on JVC's website, and I can't even find the legendary SZ1000 and SZ2000 cans listed. Have they really come and gone that fast? They still sell the extremes with the 50mm drivers, but even those arn't as good as what we have bought. As far as I can tell, there is no proper replacement on their website, what gives?
http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathId=210

I found them on this site http://eu.jvc.com/microsite/eu/szfxz/sz/index.html

I don't worry about warranty on these. If I did, I would never mod any of my equipment and that wouldn't be much fun. And I wouldn't have found my fav cable limitation. So back to the drawing board and now look at something like Mundorf, Cardas, Jupiter or something like that. But that is for when I have some more time to mess with it.

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #4,402 of 4,826
I've been using HM5 sheepskin non-angled pads on my SZ2k, but I've been wanting to try some good angled pads. So I got my hands on a pair of MrSpeakers Alpha Pads, and some ZMF Calfskin Oval pads to compare to my HM5's. I'm glad I did. The ZMF ovals went on easy enough, were pretty comfortable, and added some nice midrange and treble plus a bit of width to the sound stage. However, they took away a bit too much bass for my liking. Then I put on the Alpha Pads and the game was changed for me. The mids and highs were a drastic improvement, and the SZ had a wide and deep sound stage for the first time. But what made the pads the best choice for me is that no bass was lost at all, I still felt every hit. Plus, they are far and away the most comfortable pads I've ever put on the JVC. To sum it up, if you can get your hands on them, try the MrSpeakers Alpa Pads on your SZ2k/1k, you won't be sorry.

My JVC with the Alpha pads on, the HM5 in the middle, and the ZMF pads on the right.
20171227_123622.jpg

HM5 pads
20171227_124552.jpg

ZMF Pads
20171227_124523.jpg

The back of the Alpha pads
20171227_123658.jpg

The inside depth of the Alphas
20171227_123803.jpg

Dec 27, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #4,403 of 4,826
I've been using HM5 sheepskin non-angled pads on my SZ2k, but I've been wanting to try some good angled pads. So I got my hands on a pair of MrSpeakers Alpha Pads, and some ZMF Calfskin Oval pads to compare to my HM5's. I'm glad I did. The ZMF ovals went on easy enough, were pretty comfortable, and added some nice midrange and treble plus a bit of width to the sound stage. However, they took away a bit too much bass for my liking. Then I put on the Alpha Pads and the game was changed for me. The mids and highs were a drastic improvement, and the SZ had a wide and deep sound stage for the first time. But what made the pads the best choice for me is that no bass was lost at all, I still felt every hit. Plus, they are far and away the most comfortable pads I've ever put on the JVC. To sum it up, if you can get your hands on them, try the MrSpeakers Alpa Pads on your SZ2k/1k, you won't be sorry.

My JVC with the Alpha pads on, the HM5 in the middle, and the ZMF pads on the right.

HM5 pads

ZMF Pads

The back of the Alpha pads

The inside depth of the Alphas

I completely agree about the alpha pads. They take the sz to another level.

Dec 28, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #4,404 of 4,826
Thank you for sharing your insight and pictures with us. I would have thought the angled pads would make for a strange fit on your head, but I have never used them before so I can't say from experience. Where can I get those Alpha pads, how much do they cost, and what are those alpha pads made of again? I ask cause the HM5 pads I was planning to get are the Sheepskin leather, really expensive stuff but hopefully they will last and not deteriate into pealing away and dropping black stuff all over my head lol.

Dec 28, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #4,405 of 4,826
Thank you for sharing your insight and pictures with us. I would have thought the angled pads would make for a strange fit on your head, but I have never used them before so I can't say from experience. Where can I get those Alpha pads, how much do they cost, and what are those alpha pads made of again? I ask cause the HM5 pads I was planning to get are the Sheepskin leather, really expensive stuff but hopefully they will last and not deteriate into pealing away and dropping black stuff all over my head lol.

The Alpha pads are from the MrSpeakers webstore, they're a bit more costly than the HM5 pads at around $60 USD and they are made from lamb leather.

Dec 28, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #4,406 of 4,826

HERE YOU GO. As Wizayus posted, they are lambskin leather. I can't recommend them enough.

Edit: The angled pads fit better than I expected as well.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #4,407 of 4,826
Sadly today my SZ2000's broke ... time to attempt a repair, just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and what their fix was ?

I'm thinking I might just fill the area with two part epoxy glue, and wrap it in black electrical tape, as it doesn't really need movement at that joint, the one above it does majority of the movement.

Alternatively I look for a better headphone, It's been a few years since I purchased these, and perhaps theres something better now!

Excuse the huge image ...
nhhwsbrb.sqa.jpg

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #4,408 of 4,826
And yet, another SZ2000 bights the dust. There have been many reports and pictures from people showing their broken SZ2000's. Oddly, there haven't been any showing broken SZ1000's, and I own a pair myself and they haven't broken yet. I am really sorry to hear about yours breaking too. I am thinking 2 part epoxy would work on that. I like JB Welled, its a good product, and it naturally dries in a dark gray color. As far as looking for something better, well, I'm sorry to say, only these can's from JVC pump out the ultimate bass. Yes you may find plenty of higher quality headphones that cost 500 dollars and up, but they are all overpriced and they won't deliver the amount of bass that your 2000's can put out. Good luck on the fix!

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #4,409 of 4,826
Yep that is exactly what happened to mine and exactly what I did too.

I couldn't find jbweld but instead used permatex plastic weld that I got from an automotive store as it's used for fixing abs and the likes in cars. It's rock solid too. I just added a slight tilt outwards to make sure I got a good seal on my head. Maybe 6 or 7 degrees. Not a lot but enough to maintain comfort.

Sadly today my SZ2000's broke ... time to attempt a repair, just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and what their fix was ?

I'm thinking I might just fill the area with two part epoxy glue, and wrap it in black electrical tape, as it doesn't really need movement at that joint, the one above it does majority of the movement.

Alternatively I look for a better headphone, It's been a few years since I purchased these, and perhaps theres something better now!

Excuse the huge image ...
nhhwsbrb.sqa.jpg

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #4,410 of 4,826
One minute your drinking beer, and having lots of fun at the party. Next minute you realize you drank too much and your personality snaps, you actually feel it in your head, so you know this is serious. You then realize your can's snapped, and there goes your soul. In an desperate attempt to save your sanity, you glue can's back, so that you can continue your head banging and bass pounding personality. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back