JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #3,421 of 4,826

Does anyone know if this headphones are made anymore?  At some point in the near future, are these things going to be even harder to find?     

IMO it is safe  to assume these will be impossible to find when stock runs out and prices will skyrocket.
Should have kept 2x SZ2k and 1x SZ1k but 1 of each is plenty. =)

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #3,422 of 4,826
When my mom asked what to buy my son as a gift, I said the SZ2000. He got them and didn't like the weight, said he preferred an IEM, so I sold them on eBay, which I regret. I should have just bought him some IEM's and stuck those on a shelf as a spare. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #3,423 of 4,826
  When my mom asked what to buy my son as a gift, I said the SZ2000. He got them and didn't like the weight, said he preferred an IEM, so I sold them on eBay, which I regret. I should have just bought him some IEM's and stuck those on a shelf as a spare. Hindsight is always 20/20.

L3000.gif
LoL Good answer, smart dad. Too bad he didn't like it

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #3,424 of 4,826

But you have your own SZ now, right? :)

Don't worry, your son will realize he was wrong this whole time, in due time

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #3,425 of 4,826

L3000.gif
LoL Good answer, smart dad. Too bad he didn't like it

Thanks, I like to believe I'm doing alright, lol. He liked the sound, he just didn't want to take such a heavy set to use on campus, figured he'd get more use out of a nice IEM.

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #3,428 of 4,826
  Like I said - the internal output impedance would be nice to have. But that value is not mentioned anywhere, it seems, so you would have to measure that yourself...

Ok so I got rid/returned that groove box (was SUPER cool, just didn't play well with software.  But it was made like that, as more of a standalone).

Soooooo, I ordered this thing (below) and yeah, I know it's not a HP amp, per se, but wondering if it can be used as one and how it might sound with the SZ1000s.  It is a 5 channel mixer, but does have headphone monitoring (among like, a lot of other things).   I'm not gonna freak if the SZs sound like crap on it cuz not main purpose for buying.

But my question is, can you tell how the SZ1000s might perform with this guy, say, listening to music from my computer via the USB cable or the Line out 3mm jack from my computer (the latter I'm guessing using an RCA Y splitter)?

pic, and specs:

Thoughts?  If ya (or anyone) got time?

Oct 31, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #3,429 of 4,826

Thanks, I like to believe I'm doing alright, lol. He liked the sound, he just didn't want to take such a heavy set to use on campus, figured he'd get more use out of a nice IEM.

Well, I can't blame him for not wearing them in public (I wouldn't).  They make me look like Princess Leia, in a bad way.

Unless they die or I die, my SZ2000 and me will never separate haha.

True dat.  So what I'm wondering is........Warranty.    Got mine at Amazon (of course) but without an extended plan, but I've got about a week left to add one.  Asurion 3 year includes spilling a milkshake all over my headphones for like 24 bucks or Square Trade 2 year, accidently dunking my cans in bucket of green paint, 12.00 bucks.

Think Ima go with the Asurion, cuz I have a lot of products with them and at least 3, after 2+ years, was able to return, full refund or new exchange (one including a full refund on a Treadmill).

What ya'll got, if anything?

Cuz I think you gotta contact like, China for repairs.  Yes? No?  Maybe?  Ask again?

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #3,430 of 4,826
  Ok so I got rid/returned that groove box (was SUPER cool, just didn't play well with software.  But it was made like that, as more of a standalone).

Soooooo, I ordered this thing (below) and yeah, I know it's not a HP amp, per se, but wondering if it can be used as one and how it might sound with the SZ1000s.  It is a 5 channel mixer, but does have headphone monitoring (among like, a lot of other things).   I'm not gonna freak if the SZs sound like crap on it cuz not main purpose for buying.

But my question is, can you tell how the SZ1000s might perform with this guy, say, listening to music from my computer via the USB cable or the Line out 3mm jack from my computer (the latter I'm guessing using an RCA Y splitter)?

pic, and specs:

Thoughts?  If ya (or anyone) got time?

OK, I'll wade in: did you buy this for other reasons besides headphone listening? Or just HP listening?

I'm looking at the manual--honestly can barely make sense of it--and it looks like 80-90% of this thing is devoted to recording and/or mixing signals from various sources (computer; microphone; other). So the odds of the little HP amp circuit (probably just a single opamp) truly sounding good, especially when its output has to wade through EQ circuits, is realistically kind of slim. After all, it's kind of an after-thought, on there to monitor the rest of what's going on.

The specs don't break out specific amplification ratings for the HP circuit. They look like they do, but they really don't.

BUT...if you don't have a HP amp at all, and are listening straight from a sound card to these badass JVC 'phones, well then, anything goes.

BUT #2...if you have a HP amp (and you should because the JVC's need one to sound good--and for that bass to kick the ass it can kick)...then I guess you're just throwing ~$50 at a strange new toy to see what's up w/it (and who among us hasn't done the same?).

Nov 1, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #3,431 of 4,826
Hey Guys....

I have thinking about getting the SZ2000 or SZ1000. But I can only find SZ2000E oe SZ1000E in europe. What is the difference between the two, since the one in europe has The E? 

Nov 1, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #3,433 of 4,826
@johnnyyukon

Find a cheap power amp with a headphone jack and plug a Gemini MM1 or that Monoprice DJ mixer into it. You will thank me later.

If you were just going to use it as usb sound card.... there are much better options than that usb mixer.

Nov 1, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #3,434 of 4,826

OK, I'll wade in: did you buy this for other reasons besides headphone listening? Or just HP listening?

I'm looking at the manual--honestly can barely make sense of it--and it looks like 80-90% of this thing is devoted to recording and/or mixing signals from various sources (computer; microphone; other). So the odds of the little HP amp circuit (probably just a single opamp) truly sounding good, especially when its output has to wade through EQ circuits, is realistically kind of slim. After all, it's kind of an after-thought, on there to monitor the rest of what's going on.

The specs don't break out specific amplification ratings for the HP circuit. They look like they do, but they really don't.

BUT...if you don't have a HP amp at all, and are listening straight from a sound card to these badass JVC 'phones, well then, anything goes.

BUT #2...if you have a HP amp (and you should because the JVC's need one to sound good--and for that bass to kick the ass it can kick)...then I guess you're just throwing ~$50 at a strange new toy to see what's up w/it (and who among us hasn't done the same?).

Oh, this is a Toy .  
biggrin.gif

And DAMN, I swear, spec reading for headphone ampage/quality is harder than turning base metal into gold.

haha, more below, but yeah, it arrives tomorrow and basically, i just wanna see wuz up w/it.

I got mics, 'n recorders, 'n midi controllers, 'n lots 'o s*** for the 5 channels, sooooo. we shall see, amazon has a fantastic return policy . :D

@johnnyyukon

Find a cheap power amp with a headphone jack and plug a Gemini MM1 or that Monoprice DJ mixer into it. You will thank me later.

If you were just going to use it as usb sound card.... there are much better options than that usb mixer.

I may look into those.  But I agree, the mixer probably isn't going to be a good fit for the JVCs (but maybe.....) . but that's not why I bought it, just curious to post the specs to you fellow freaks.

And to both ya'll, YES, I do have 2 sublime HP amps/dacs, the classic E10K, and Q1 (FiiO, God Bless Thee).   They both seem to sound the same even when the Q1 is running off the battery, and by "same" I mean, clean, BOOMING bass that tickles my brain stem.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #3,435 of 4,826
  Hey Guys....

I have thinking about getting the SZ2000 or SZ1000. But I can only find SZ2000E oe SZ1000E in europe. What is the difference between the two, since the one in europe has The E? 

Wasn't planning to mention it in this thread...but after this & other recent posts about low/no availability of these headphones--guess I should.

I have my SZ1000's FS on Head-Fi. For more information, pls PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back