JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Jan 10, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #1,906 of 3,271
Quote:

I just remembered which earphones I had trouble getting the Sony hybrids to fit on: the EPH-100. The fact that you managed to make those stay on the super large EPH-100 nozzles makes me wonder if their internal cores got stretched out (hence providing a perfect fit on the FXZ now
wink.gif
).

Either that, or perhaps there are multiple versions of genuine Sony hybrid tips as well.

Yes they did ; )

Mids are as good as the UM3X, but cleaner, not as full-bodied, bass is MUCH stronger, almost same level of XB800 but totally separated from the mids, and treble reminds me the westone 4. They also have great depth. Not so much width. Looking forward for the 200hrs mark for the silver cable to break-in though. Will try that when the other pair arrives next week
wink.gif

So in conclusion and just after 8 hours audition non-stop before posting them, they're as good as DSnuts and ericp say. No hype ; )

I would like to thank DSnuts for pointing me these out, they're the best value for money available on the market at the moment.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #1,909 of 3,271
Maybe I can slow the insane hype train on speed and crack a few km/h by saying I'm somewhat disappointed with the FXZ100.

Had them for about 2 weeks now and these do not fit my ears. The seal is a bit hard to obtain and once you get their the comfort is not the best, but absolutely not the worst either. They are just too bulky and the placement of the strain reliefs are horrible making them really hard to push in.

I have to rotate the in-ears so the strain reliefs are facing forward to get these to stay put and seal.
Wish they had worked a little more on the ergonomics with these. They are badly suited for portable walking around use where you need good isolation.

Going from the 60$ FXD70 which offers breathtaking clarity, detail, timbre and razor sharp imaging I expected these would be on a whole new level.

And they do sound wonderful indeed. Lovely deep detailed bass, balanced full midrange, no harsh treble that feels extended enough and good clarity. The mids can get harsh on rare occasions though. This is exactly the type of signature I was looking for. A natural sound in short with some added bass. I like to EQ down the midbass a bit though with some music.

However I'm feeling diminishing return kicking in already and with a little help from soundstage enhancement, crossfeed and EQ in J River I can get the FXD70 to sound as good and in some ways better.

FXD70 seems to image better which for me is important in creating an emotional involvement to the music.
All in all for the price these get 4/5 in SQ. Maybe I was expecting something 3/4 the way to a Spiral Ears 5 way which was to much to live up to.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #1,910 of 3,271
Quote:

Had them for about 2 weeks now and these do not fit my ears. The seal is a bit hard to obtain and once you get their the comfort is not the best, but absolutely not the worst either. They are just too bulky and the placement of the strain reliefs are horrible making them really hard to push in.

I take it you've tried wearing them with the cables routed over the ears already as well?

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #1,912 of 3,271
Just FYI, the 200s are fine out of my iPhone 5 with the treble and bass there.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #1,914 of 3,271
OK tried the FXZ100 as soon as I got home and almost despaired! Ugh they didn't fit right, seal was all over the place, when I did get a seal the bass was not much better than my other IEM,s!! Crap all that money!!!

Then I swapped the tips for the ones I am (now was) using on my XBA3's and I achieved instant perfect seal! All I can say is holy crap! These have amazing bass, clear beautiful mids, clean treble.

I suspect many may have to ditch the stock tips but once proper seal is achieved the FXZ100 is a damn fine IEM, well worth the price of admission and the wait ordering from Japan.

I am sitting listening to a mix of music. Pink Floyd sounds awesome, a slow minimalist piano piece was achingly sweet, Peter Gabriel's Intruder from New Blood was emotional and extremely transparent.

These are damn fine TOTALHEAD IEM's!!! :D

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,915 of 3,271
Quote:

Just for kicks, have you tried the EarPortz on the FXZ200? Or would they not fit?

I don't think it would fit, but I wouldn't even try. I have custom tips if I wanted to go that route.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #1,916 of 3,271
Quote:
OK tried the FXZ100 as soon as I got home and almost despaired! Ugh they didn't fit right, seal was all over the place, when I did get a seal the bass was not much better than my other IEM,s!! Crap all that money!!!

Then I swapped the tips for the ones I am (now was) using on my XBA3's and I achieved instant perfect seal! All I can say is holy crap! These have amazing bass, clear beautiful mids, clean treble.

I suspect many may have to ditch the stock tips but once proper seal is achieved the FXZ100 is a damn fine IEM, well worth the price of admission and the wait ordering from Japan.

I am sitting listening to a mix of music. Pink Floyd sounds awesome, a slow minimalist piano piece was achingly sweet, Peter Gabriel's Intruder from New Blood was emotional and extremely transparent.

These are damn fine TOTALHEAD IEM's!!!
biggrin.gif

Whoha. Was worried there at first. Glad you reached Totalness. This is out of box?. That is nice to reach such listening pleasure of totalness out of box.

Hey I got good news for guys that are willing to try out Tenso here soon to get these.. Western currency is gaining on the Japanese Yen. What that means is. These fine iems will be even cheaper for people that live in the US. My dollar is gaining in value and that is a good thing so good I gave into the Amazon Japan bug again. That is not good. I am weak willed. I tried to fight the urge. I did. But alas I gave into temptation. I kept finding myself looking at these.

They are mine all mine I say !! All mines!

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #1,917 of 3,271
Quote:

These are damn fine TOTALHEAD IEM's!!!
biggrin.gif

Not surprised you liked them after proper tips and fit. Yes, the FXZs are very finicky on tips and fit. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #1,918 of 3,271
Oh...

to be clear I am not using Hybrids, I am using a tip I had laying around that I found worked well on my XBA3. Unfortunately I am not sure where it came from. It had a longer body and stem than the JVC tip, had a hole size slightly smaller than the JVC but not as small as the Hybrid and it's rubber is thicker than the JVC and Hybrid but is still soft enough to be comfortable. The smaller hole size makes it fit snuggly on the stem of the IEM without having to force it. I will see if I can take some pictures but don't hold your breath...

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #1,919 of 3,271
Yes, out of the box the FXZ100 impresses once you get a good fit. I imagine the bass will tighten up a bit and the treble might gain some sparkle but the general signature is pretty balanced in my opinion. Some will say they are basshead IEM's but I don't think they are as the mids and treble both keep up with the bass and they certainly don't sacrifice quality for the bass.

I can tell you, I have owned alot of high end IEM's and headphones, only a few have impressed me this much out of the box.

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #1,920 of 3,271
Quote:
the insane hype train on speed and crack

That is one crazy train 
evil_smiley.gif

Just wanted to throw a note out there - I played around with some tips I have laying about.  I'm currently using the white sony hybrid knockoffs that came with my GR07s.  Very *nice*.  The bore is probably half the size of stock and puts some extra space between the driver and tip, although insertion depth is about the same.  Bass is probably subdued about 5-6 db, definitely a less warm, bit more open sound.  Not sure if I'm sold 100%, but it is definitely more neutral beyond a shadow of a doubt.  I liken the effect similar to what I found going from stock pads -> ATH pleathers on the S500.

Also tried my medium FXD-80 tips.  These are even smaller bore with more distance from the driver.  I felt this just was a bit weird... tended to sound a bit tinny, perhaps even sibilant, overall something just felt off.  

Just throwing this out there as it's an easy thing to try for those who have either earphone.  I'm going to stick with the hybrid knockoffs for awhile.  The main thing I dig about them is they take away that almost too warm push I get running out of my DragonFly, make things a bit clearer/less claustrophobic.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back